The Student Room Group

Did teenagers look older a decade ago?

Back while I was at secondary school (2011-16) I found some photos, taken around 2002-2008, of the school, and pupils at the school. I don't know if it was just me, but the pupils, in particular the boys, looked a year or two older than most look now. If anything, I noticed a change in the way teenagers looked in about 2013. While I was in Y7/8, a lot of the pupils at the school didn't appear (hairstyle/facially) that different from those in these photos, but from about 2013 onwards they started to look younger and somewhat better groomed. What happened there?

I'm not trying to cause offence to anyone, rather I'm simply curious if you've noticed the same, and if people simply look "younger" now due to my perception, or if young people actually looked a year or so older a decade ago.
Reply 1
They look older because you associate the styles at the time as being 'old' now.
the teens of yesteryear stood up straight and looked where they were going. today's teens shuffle along with their heads bowed staring at their gadgets.
Reply 3
Just thought about something - I said that I noticed the change around August 2013. This is also the exact time that the term "selfie" came into common usage. I'm starting to think that male teenage fashion became more metrosexual with the "selfie culture". I wouldn't say this is a bad thing, but does make the average person appear younger if they are following fashion.
Original post by the bear
the teens of yesteryear stood up straight and looked where they were going. today's teens shuffle along with their heads bowed staring at their gadgets.

the good old days....

Spoiler

Reply 5
It's because of the rise of the roadman among the younger population
When I was in year 2 the year 7s looked like Uni Students, when I was in year 11 the year 7's looked like 8 year olds.
Reply 7
Original post by SuperHuman98
When I was in year 2 the year 7s looked like Uni Students, when I was in year 11 the year 7's looked like 8 year olds.

That's a perception thing. To me, the Y7's looked like Y11's when I was in Y2, while they now look about 9-10.
I still remember going into year 7 feeling like a big man. Then when I was in year 11 all the year 7s looked like little kids. Such fond memories of the days when they'd try and "prove themselves" by calling us year 11 folk by generic insults (usually homosexually themed), then looked rather silly when we chased them and caught them because their miniscule legs couldn't carry them fast enough, then we'd pick them up with one hand and put them in a bin :h:
Reply 9
I've just thought to myself that teenagers who smoke generally look older, possibly as an ageing effect of smoking. I know that a higher percentage of teens used to smoke, which may be a contributing factor.

At the same time, I'd say college students used to look a similar age to now, as did secondary school students from the 1970s. In the 80s/90s/00s it was common for schools to have more relaxed uniform policies, thus having more students that dress in an "older" manner.
The problem I have is now I see people in 6th form/college to be as old if not older than myself. Hell I'm 24, and depending who you asking I look slightly older or younger than I actually am. Everyone is always surprised to hear my age.

It's strange for me because when I was 16-18 girls had no idea how to apply makeup, guys didn't have facial hair (and those that did were seen as the nerdy weirdo's) and most of us struggle to figure out how to dress ourselves. Even looking at the photo's of the top end popular and rich kids, none had a clue!

Fast forward to now, many girls look now, how we imagined models looked like all that time ago, most wear classy and body hugging clothes and most the younger guys can dress better than most people my age. Then add to the fact the facial hair fad means you can even see 16-18 yo's with a full beard... like wtf guys?!?!?! That said I personally think more guys seem to be ok to look feminine these days and I still see a lot of ridiculous fashion fads that make me laugh in public.

I had a father at the pub I work at talk about how old girl look these days, saying that his daughter and friends looked like they were in their mid twenties. I didn't believe him seeing she is only just 15.... was shown the pictures and they all looked as if they were in their mid 20's, some I thought looks wise looked older than me. We both commented how we felt sorry for all the lads their own age as we felt they didn't stand a chance and it must hurt their confidence chasing girls their own age who look so much older.

Original post by RJDG14
I've just thought to myself that teenagers who smoke generally look older, possibly as an ageing effect of smoking. I know that a higher percentage of teens used to smoke, which may be a contributing factor.

At the same time, I'd say college students used to look a similar age to now, as did secondary school students from the 1970s. In the 80s/90s/00s it was common for schools to have more relaxed uniform policies, thus having more students that dress in an "older" manner.

I would say everyone looks back at previous years, even when you're the same age/older and think they look older than your own generation was during the same years.

i think it's mostly because fashion hangovers continue as people get older. So I tend to find people in their mid 20's sometimes still have a slight skater or alt vibe despite keeping up to date in fashion. Although I would agree hair, makeup and uniform standards have got stricter recently, meaning while in school uniform current students do look younger.
(edited 7 years ago)
Everyone's talking about Year 7s looking like toddlers, and I'm here thinking I still look like a toddler. :sigh:
Like herb Victoria and King Hernandez
These days you can't tell if someone's 14 or 20 lmao.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They are putting stuff in our water supply so we live longer and age slower. The longer we live the more they can farm us for tax £'s . THE GOVUNMANT SUCKS BAWLS
Original post by Betelgeuse-
They are putting stuff in our water supply so we live longer and age slower. The longer we live the more they can farm us for tax £'s . THE GOVUNMANT SUCKS BAWLS

Exactly. Wake up SHEEPLE.
Reply 16
they look older now i think

Quick Reply