The Student Room Group

linear Alevels

Hi, im taking linear alevels and have an important question. how do the exams and qualifications work in linear, could you please explain yourself as i have looked everywhere. what i mean by this is that i have done an AS exam and i know it does not count to the full alevel and i will have to do the exam again at the end of two years, does that mean that i have to do AS exam/topics again at the end of my second year with my A2 exam and they are the ones that count? so therefore my actual AS grades will be the ones i get at the end of two years that contribute to the alevel? can some please explain this thank you (also i know that if i drop my AS now i will get 40% but im not dropping any)
Original post by jacob1371
Hi, im taking linear alevels and have an important question. how do the exams and qualifications work in linear, could you please explain yourself as i have looked everywhere. what i mean by this is that i have done an AS exam and i know it does not count to the full alevel and i will have to do the exam again at the end of two years, does that mean that i have to do AS exam/topics again at the end of my second year with my A2 exam and they are the ones that count? so therefore my actual AS grades will be the ones i get at the end of two years that contribute to the alevel? can some please explain this thank you (also i know that if i drop my AS now i will get 40% but im not dropping any)

Ah linear A Levels. I admit they're confusing. Basically, if you were to drop an AS level, you would get the qualification and the UCAS points. If you take the linear A Levels forward, the AS qualification no longer counts and you will sit the A2 exams and that will make up 100% of your A Level grade (but I think you understand that anyway).

Regarding topics, yes you will have to sit exams that contain content from the AS year, but you won't be sitting the AS exams again. For example, for English Literature I sat 2 exams for AS containing the AS content, at A2 I will also sit 2 exams and they will have content from both the AS and A2 years mixed together. For more clarity, I would suggest you look up the specifications of your subjects online, it will tell you which exams contain what.

Quick Reply

Latest