Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Is writing fanfiction good practise?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

I went to a university creative writing worshop today, and obviously all of us who attended (there were only two!) are avid writers. The professor asked us what kind of things we like to write, how often we write etc.
    and I was too afraid to admit that I spend a lot of my time planning and writing fanfiction.
    Instead I told him I just wrote little bits and pieces here and there, knowing some day I would like to put them in a book somehow.
    I would like to know opinions on if you think writing fanfiction is good practise for someone hoping to get on a creative writing course? And should I tell the professor that is my most common area of practise? Should I perhaps start some more of my original work, too? (I do have a little, but I dedicate most of my time to fanfics)

I heard that Cassandra Clare, best-selling author of The Mortal Instruments series along with many others, started off writing a very popular Harry Potter fanfiction. She was so successful with her own original series that not only did they make a movie out of it, she has her own Netflix show.

So yes, I'd say fanfiction is an excellent way of practicing your writing skills. Especially since it is very difficult to write to your full extent when you have no original ideas - I'm talking about the plot, the characters, their personalities and various settings. It takes time and effort to conjure up an orginal peice, therefore suggesting that perhaps going off of an already existing plot and set of characters may help you use your writing tools without the pressure of finding something to write about.

There are also writing cues you can look up online, where they give you a plot, characters and maybe the first paragraph, allowing you to take the story on a different journey and practice writing about various different topics and perspectives, giving characters and plots your own twists while relying only on the foundation someone else has provided for you

I wish you the best of luck!
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.