The Student Room Group

help for private gcse

hello everyone !

I want just to know some informations about doing one gcse privately , so I'm from France and as I want to continue my study in london ,I started Gcse (in one years) which is obligatory for go to A level but when I asked to my college if I can do french gcse this year (with my other 5 gcse's) they said that they don't teach french and advised me to do french Gcse as a private candidate, so I went to a exam center and they asked me a CODE
so with the help of my previous discussion in this website I found the code (gcse and Igcse) but the main problem is:

How do you know if these GCSEs (or igcse) are still current ?
http://qualifications.pearson.com/co...ench-2016.html
http://qualifications.pearson.com/en...ench-2009.html
http://qualifications.pearson.com/co...ench-2011.html

Which gcse or igcse should I take ?
(I mean wich will be better and why don't really understand the difference beetwen Igcse and gcse)
P.S:I've found my exam center (cherry hill tuiton) and I can write and speak french fluently,I need JUST to do the exam (without coursework) just for add my french gcse at the end with my other 5 GCSE's .

I would like to express my gratitude for all your help in this matter
Thank you very much in advance !
(edited 7 years ago)
GCSE French is usually 60% coursework and 40% examination. Whereas, an IGCSE in French would be entirely assessed by examination. The coursework can be quite tedious. Therefore, if u are fluent in French it may be a better option to sit the IGCSE exams.
Reply 2
Original post by MiriamSandhu
GCSE French is usually 60% coursework and 40% examination. Whereas, an IGCSE in French would be entirely assessed by examination. The coursework can be quite tedious. Therefore, if u are fluent in French it may be a better option to sit the IGCSE exams.

How do you know that French is usually 60% coursework and 40% examination ?
The most recent GCSE series is the 2016 one, the 2009 one is expired (except for retakes)
The most recent IGCSE series is the 2011 one.
Original post by aminanmoy
How do you know that French is usually 60% coursework and 40% examination ?

My sister is doing GCSE French and currently GCSE French is 60% coursework and 40% exam for the 4 main exam boards in the UK which are AQA, OCR, Edexcel and WJEC. However, from this September the current GCSE course will be phased out and replaced with the reformed GCSE which will be assessed 100% by examination.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by MiriamSandhu
My sister is doing GCSE French and currently GCSE French is 60% coursework and 40% exam for the 4 main exam boards in the UK which are AQA, OCR, Edexcel and WJEC. However, from this September the current GCSE course will be phased out and replaced with the reformed GCSE which will be assessed 100% by examination.

As now gcse is 100% by examination (and not 60 % and 40 %) both GCSE and igcse are 100 % so do you trust that It will be better for me to do Igcse just because it's more hard ? I mean why I gcse is more harder than gcse (which is normally equivalent each other)
This is the specification for GCSE French.
On Page 4-5, it says the exams needed for the qualification: Listening, Reading and Writing are assessed by an examination, while Speaking is asessed by a school and marked by the exam board. There's no Coursework in the new specification.

IGCSE can be different though.
Original post by aminanmoy
As now gcse is 100% by examination (and not 60 % and 40 %) both GCSE and igcse are 100 % so do you trust that It will be better for me to do Igcse just because it's more hard ? I mean why I gcse is more harder than gcse (which is normally equivalent each other)

In my opinion, it's not true that the IGCSE is harder, they're pretty much exactly the same, except the GCSE is more popular, and there's more support for it.
I would say that the reformed GCSEs and IGCSEs are on a similar playing field. Therefore, it may help to have a look at the specifications and decide which one u prefer.
Reply 9
Original post by BobBobson
The most recent GCSE series is the 2016 one, the 2009 one is expired (except for retakes)
The most recent IGCSE series is the 2011 one.

Why the more recent IGCSE is 2011 because it's getting old (unlike gcse which is more recent )?
Reply 10
there it is written that : First assessment:2018
so will it be possible to do gcse exam next year 2017 !
If it says: First Assessment: 2018, then it means that specification isn't released yet and you have to use the older one.
Reply 12
Original post by BobBobson
If it says: First Assessment: 2018, then it means that specification isn't released yet and you have to use the older one.

So either I take the Igcse (2014) or I take the older gcse 2009
So I think I will give the IGCSE 4FR0 to my tuiton
merci beaucoup à tout le monde !
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest