Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

How do you study?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Brilliant topic for a Saturday lol but was just wondering how do you study? How do you recall facts, do you just read or write things down? Also do you listen to music when learning?

I'd like to be one of these who gets top marks but I find that even with lots of work I'm just average. I thought maybe I'm doing things wrong.

Saaame dude

Don't listen to music, and study alone with nobody distracting you. Decide on your own if you wanna write notes down, I don't, but it can in fact help people. After going through a lesson, try to find some questions about it and answer them.

I am an auditory learner so I find speaking my notes aloud is the best way to memorise them. After this I usually begin past papers where I am able to test myself. This allows me to spot my weakest topics so I can improve.

I don't.

Note that revision styles will differ for each subject; the below method works best for science and maths style subjects with standardized answers.I have found difficulty applying this strategy to my Business AS level.

Download the specification for your course and buy the student book, now read the book and highlight the key information relevant to the mark scheme. Now write, in your own words (the most important part), everything you highlighted. The more you change it around the better you will remember it (I feel anyway) - try to change the order of the information in the book to suit you (but only if it makes sense to do so!).

Then write questions and answers to the notes you have made on note cards. When you come to revisit your notes during exams, read the notes of a unit, then go through the note cards until you get every single one right and move on to the next unit. Hope I helped.

if your doing essay based subjects then

I cannot recommend this book enough it teaches you how to get through studying in literally a fraction of the time. it wont be that useful for maths or science subjects, well possibly a bit of help with science but cant see it working for maths.

as for memorizing facts a good technique is to link the facts to things. find some way of connecting the facts to your family your gf/bf your dog that really weird guy who is always at the bus stop or whatever works. so long as you form that link you are much more likely to remember it.

quick edit this should be obvious but don't use that book as a way of putting in significantly less hours, It is possible you could do that, but it is taking risks and it is better to use the techniques to allow you to get much more done in the same amount of study time.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 11, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful revision links

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.