The Student Room Group

Stuttering

Any ideas on how to decrease stuttering while in larger groups of people, especially in school?
Btw my stuttering isn't like t-t-this - I produce weird-ass sounds..
Do you stutter at home? If you don't stutter when relaxed or alone then the key to stopping group situation stuttering is to take a mental step back and slow down a bit because often your brain is working faster in these situations and your mouth can't keep up. Slow yourself down and make the active mental decision to stop the stuttering and it'll leave naturally

goodluck!
Reply 2
I never stutter alone, but I do stutter even when with family.
Original post by Anonymous
Any ideas on how to decrease stuttering while in larger groups of people, especially in school?
Btw my stuttering isn't like t-t-this - I produce weird-ass sounds..

There are different types of stammering (English term, Stuttering is American - not that it matters, just explaining why I am using 'stammering'), so not everyone stammers like t-t-this, as you said. If you see your GP and explain your situation they might be able to refer you to a Speech and Language Therapist (SLT) who will be able to work on the Stammer with you :smile:

Until then, identify things that help you relax and change your pace as this could help you reduce your stammer. Stammers don't usually go by themselves though, so it's important to see your GP and hopefully a SLT.

Quick Reply

Latest