The Student Room Group

Teacher/Student Friendship UK?!

I've really enjoyed my time in school, and there are some particular subjects that I absolutely love - Spanish being one of them! Now I've had my Spanish teacher for two years, and we get on like a house on fire.

We both have a great sense of humour, we laugh about anything and everything, she casually chats about her love life, and I casually chat about mine etc (we are both girls). Everyone really likes her and it's great as she gets on with most people. However she chats to me more than most of the other students. When she first came to the school, I was the only one who was welcoming to her, and she picked up on that so now we get on quite well.

I will be leaving that school soon, and I'm pretty sure she's wanting to stay there, but I was hoping we could still stay in touch? I wouldn't want to put her job at risk or anything, but once I have left the school and she is no longer my teacher, would it be deemed acceptable to text her and meet up etc? No romantic feelings whatsoever, she's just really nice and we already treat eachother like good friends.

I am going to hopefully persue a career in Spanish, as I already enjoyed it way before she was my teacher. So in conclusion, I'm just wondering if it would be okay to have her number or email or something so I can keep in touch after I have left school? Thanks in advance!
emailing is generally considered okay - especially done through your school's email system if you have one. (as it can be monitored so nothing beyond the norm can happen) texting and meeting her outside of school would probably be a no but there's no reason why you can't visit your old school and pay her a visit from time to time.
it would most likely be best to ask her how you two can keep in touch when you leave bc she will know more about the rules than i do. from what you've said i don't see any reason why she wouldn't want to keep in touch with you in some way.
Reply 2
Original post by lostintrnslation
emailing is generally considered okay - especially done through your school's email system if you have one. (as it can be monitored so nothing beyond the norm can happen) texting and meeting her outside of school would probably be a no but there's no reason why you can't visit your old school and pay her a visit from time to time.
it would most likely be best to ask her how you two can keep in touch when you leave bc she will know more about the rules than i do. from what you've said i don't see any reason why she wouldn't want to keep in touch with you in some way.

Thank you! one of the main reasons that I would like to keep in touch is because I will be carrying on with Spanish, and I'd love to update her on how I am doing and go to her if I would need a bit of help. In the past, she has told me to let her know in some way about my progress:biggrin: Do you not think a few years down the line when I am in my 20s and she has left the school that we could maybe go for coffee or something? Thanks so much for your helpful response!!:smile:
Reply 3
Once you have left school there is no reason for the two of you not to keep in touch and meet up for coffee etc. If she is happy to do this there are no rules against it. Once you leave the school and are no longer her student it is no different to her having any other younger friends.
Original post by Geekygirl07
Thank you! one of the main reasons that I would like to keep in touch is because I will be carrying on with Spanish, and I'd love to update her on how I am doing and go to her if I would need a bit of help. In the past, she has told me to let her know in some way about my progress:biggrin: Do you not think a few years down the line when I am in my 20s and she has left the school that we could maybe go for coffee or something? Thanks so much for your helpful response!!:smile:

maybe you could arrange to meet her outside of school when you're over 18 but it is a bit of a grey area and you'd have to talk to her about it. it depends what she is comfortable with and what the school is comfortable with.
Reply 5
Original post by Clemm101
Once you have left school there is no reason for the two of you not to keep in touch and meet up for coffee etc. If she is happy to do this there are no rules against it. Once you leave the school and are no longer her student it is no different to her having any other younger friends.

Okay, thank you so much for your response!!:smile:
Reply 6
Original post by lostintrnslation
maybe you could arrange to meet her outside of school when you're over 18 but it is a bit of a grey area and you'd have to talk to her about it. it depends what she is comfortable with and what the school is comfortable with.

Okay:smile: I'm pretty sure she would like to stay in touch, she has said a lot about coming to my wedding aha and we always have a laugh about that stuff! She's a respected teacher and I'm a good student so I hope the school will allow us to be friends in a few years:smile:
Reply 7
Very simple tbh. If you're no longer her student then the school has no business to get involved. Do not communicate through a school email, that's just silly. Communicate through a private email address. Keeping in touch with teachers is fine, a lot of people do that. Just make sure you keep things strictly a "friendship" type of thing. You wouldn't want to give others the wrong impression.
Since leaving school Iv met up with old teachers for coffee, so have many of my friends. The only ones I know of have been female student and female teacher. Its fine from what I understand!
Reply 9
Original post by Aklaol
Very simple tbh. If you're no longer her student then the school has no business to get involved. Do not communicate through a school email, that's just silly. Communicate through a private email address. Keeping in touch with teachers is fine, a lot of people do that. Just make sure you keep things strictly a "friendship" type of thing. You wouldn't want to give others the wrong impression.

Ah thank you! You make a lot of sense. It would definitely be a friendship. I have no interest whatsoever in getting into a relationship with her as she is much older, has a boyfriend, is my teacher and so much more. Friendship only:smile:
Original post by Natashadesigner
Since leaving school Iv met up with old teachers for coffee, so have many of my friends. The only ones I know of have been female student and female teacher. Its fine from what I understand!

Thank you! It would just be casual stuff, as well as her maybe helping me with my studies:smile:
Original post by Geekygirl07
I've really enjoyed my time in school, and there are some particular subjects that I absolutely love - Spanish being one of them! Now I've had my Spanish teacher for two years, and we get on like a house on fire.

We both have a great sense of humour, we laugh about anything and everything, she casually chats about her love life, and I casually chat about mine etc (we are both girls). Everyone really likes her and it's great as she gets on with most people. However she chats to me more than most of the other students. When she first came to the school, I was the only one who was welcoming to her, and she picked up on that so now we get on quite well.

I will be leaving that school soon, and I'm pretty sure she's wanting to stay there, but I was hoping we could still stay in touch? I wouldn't want to put her job at risk or anything, but once I have left the school and she is no longer my teacher, would it be deemed acceptable to text her and meet up etc? No romantic feelings whatsoever, she's just really nice and we already treat eachother like good friends.

I am going to hopefully persue a career in Spanish, as I already enjoyed it way before she was my teacher. So in conclusion, I'm just wondering if it would be okay to have her number or email or something so I can keep in touch after I have left school? Thanks in advance!

Once you leave the school then the institution she is hired by has no purpose in get involved as you are no longer a student there, therefore they cannot do anything about it, so she wouldn't be put at any risk. Go for it if you want just don't use school's emails as your account will probably get deleted once you leave. I added my maths teacher on Facebook and Twitter since he has taught me throughout GCSE and A-Level and I'm going off to do maths at uni lol.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RDKGames
Once you leave the school then the institution she is hired by has no purpose in get involved as you are no longer a student there, therefore they cannot do anything about it, so she wouldn't be put at any risk. Go for it if you want just don't use school's emails as your account will probably get deleted once you leave. I added my maths teacher on Facebook and Twitter since he has taught me throughout GCSE and A-Level and I'm going off to do maths at uni lol.

Okay, that's very helpful, thank you so much!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest