The Student Room Group

AS Core Maths is it recognized by universities ?

The title basically.
Reply 1
i know its accepted by loughborough
Original post by Freshstart123
The title basically.

Yes. Though its usefulness depends what you are applying for and where.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gdunne42
Yes. Though its usefulness depends what you are applying for and where.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well i want to apply to medicine but i am doing bio and chem
Well i want to apply to medicine but i am doing bio and chem

An offer for medicine would be based on achieving results in three full A levels. A core maths qualification will not be enough to count as the third A level so while your maths skills would be enhanced it wouldn't really impact on whether you are made an offer or accepted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
An offer for medicine would be based on achieving results in three full A levels. A core maths qualification will not be enough to count as the third A level so while your maths skills would be enhanced it wouldn't really impact on whether you are made an offer or accepted.

Posted from TSR Mobile

what about if i took A2 Maths and dropped it? and does it matter if i even take maths. Well i cant really change my options now, but isnt it mostly bio and chem which are needed.
what about if i took A2 Maths and dropped it? and does it matter if i even take maths. Well i cant really change my options now, but isnt it mostly bio and chem which are needed.

While its a good subject to take you don't need maths for a medicine application in the UK though I have heard it is favoured in other countries. You will need a third respected A level as well as your Chem and Bio. Physics and maths are common options as are history and English literature.
While its a good subject to take you don't need maths for a medicine application in the UK though I have heard it is favoured in other countries. You will need a third respected A level as well as your Chem and Bio. Physics and maths are common options as are history and English literature.

i am also taking psychology do you think that is okay?
i am also taking psychology do you think that is okay?

A high proportion of successful applicants will probably have a more traditional academic third A level but I have heard of lots of people who get offers with psychology if all other aspects of their application are strong.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest