The Student Room Group

Doing subjects I dislike URGENT

I have just started.So I am doing English literature, English language and history. I dont like.these subjects but I had to pick something. I wanted to do.differnt subjects but wasn't allowed on to the courses and I cant drop out. In my English language lessons it was a little hard but I could manage it. In history we haven't done proper lessons yet so I don't know. In English literature I an an mess and I am so scared. I don't have an clue what the poem is an about and can't answer any of the questions may be one sometimes but that's all. Everyone struggles but come out with great responses . I feel with English literature it's about thinking more whereas I am better at just remembering facts. It's ANNYONING because I am willing to put hard work it but I don't think I can get the skills. Can you please give me advice on how I can improve and any other advice?
You need to change your attitude towards these subjects, if you decide to stick with them, there shouldn't be any 'oh it's so difficult I can't do it' type statements.
You can do it if you put the work in, perhaps start off by making a good schedule that would have the workload well-distributed throughout all subjects?

From my own experience, I can say that reading books by great authors helps the most. You can't go wrong by learning language from people who've mastered it. Collect quotes, concepts, it will come useful!

I haven't done A level history, but it was always interesting in lower-education levels :smile: only through constant repetition does it finally cling to your memory, like any huge-content subject.

You are more than capable to do these subjects, so have some faith in yourself and start working! Good luck!
Reply 2
Tbh anyone can do a levels even if they did not do well during AS
It's all about the work you put in, ofc you will struggle in the begining but so will other people
Are you sure you can't do the courses you want, you may want to consider moving sixth form or college
Original post by England113
I have just started.So I am doing English literature, English language and history. I dont like.these subjects but I had to pick something. I wanted to do.differnt subjects but wasn't allowed on to the courses and I cant drop out. In my English language lessons it was a little hard but I could manage it. In history we haven't done proper lessons yet so I don't know. In English literature I an an mess and I am so scared. I don't have an clue what the poem is an about and can't answer any of the questions may be one sometimes but that's all. Everyone struggles but come out with great responses . I feel with English literature it's about thinking more whereas I am better at just remembering facts. It's ANNYONING because I am willing to put hard work it but I don't think I can get the skills. Can you please give me advice on how I can improve and any other advice?

Is there nothing you can do other than Lit? It's not a good idea to do Lang and Lit.
(edited 7 years ago)
hated english language then i realised i only hated it because i had the mentality on hating it and didn't change it.
Reply 5
Original post by zainyyyyy
hated english language then i realised i only hated it because i had the mentality on hating it and didn't change it.

I just don't understand literature
Nobody is born good at anything, you don't even sound like you hate the subjecrs to be honest. The OP translates to "I struggle so hate these subjects"

For History learn to love it, this is the easiest. I love History, watch movies,cartoons,documentaries relating to your topic. If you love it then your brain will absorb information easily. So thats 1/3 subjects sorted.

Second subject English Literature, if you struggle make sure you are always asking your teachers questions. Pretend to be enthusiastic. Fake it until you make it xD

English Language I don't know but its meant to be easier than Literature.

I do English lang&Lit combined, my least favourite ,but my drive to be articulate with my writing motivates m.

If all else fails then you resit the year with different subjects.
I just don't understand literature

youre only a few weeks into your as levels, drop it and pick up ict
Original post by Muttley79
Is there nothing you can do other than Lit? It's not a good idea to do Lang and Lit.

There's nothing wrong with it - of course, a slightly wider variety would be helpful, but I did both and it didn't do me any harm :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by SuperHuman98
Nobody is born good at anything, you don't even sound like you hate the subjecrs to be honest. The OP translates to "I struggle so hate these subjects"

For History learn to love it, this is the easiest. I love History, watch movies,cartoons,documentaries relating to your topic. If you love it then your brain will absorb information easily. So thats 1/3 subjects sorted.

Second subject English Literature, if you struggle make sure you are always asking your teachers questions. Pretend to be enthusiastic. Fake it until you make it xD

I do English lang&Lit combined, my least favourite ,but my drive to be articulate with my writing motivates m.

I don't have the analysis technique for English literature .
I don't have the analysis technique for English literature .

Says who? Everything comes with practice man, you either drop out or you believe in yourself and try your best. How did you even get into this situation and what subjects do you like???

Second subject English Literature, if you struggle make sure you are always asking your teachers questions. Pretend to be enthusiastic. Fake it until you become it xD

Fixed it for you.
Reply 12
Says who? Everything comes with practice man, you either drop out or you believe in yourself and try your best. How did you even get into this situation and what subjects do you like???

I am willing to put hard work in but how do i get the analysis technique. Understanding what the text is about and answering the questions.
I am willing to put hard work in but how do i get the analysis technique. Understanding what the text is about and answering the questions.

Ask your teacher, lots of students just make weird interpretations tbh
Reply 14
Ask your teacher, lots of students just make weird interpretations tbh

I have work due in on monday
Id say try your hardest this year to complete the subjects you're doing. If however you haven't done particularly well try finding another sixth form or collage that will accept you into the subjects you want with the grades you have

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest