The Student Room Group

I've been moved to foundation for Maths

I'm currently in year 10, and two days ago I was moved from the higher tier to lower tier. I didn't do as well as I should have in my final exams in year nine because I spent a lot of time messing around. Now I'm really worried because I feel incredibly out of place in the foundation class- I asked my new teacher if there's chance I'll move back up and sit the higher paper, and she said yes but she didn't seem to bothered about it. I really want to move up but I have no idea how to, I'm not so great at maths but I'm entirely willing to put 100% effort. Does anyone have any tips? Is there really a possibility of me moving up, or did I blow up all my chances last year? The syllabus is a lot different to the higher classes one, if im learning from this one, how can I possibly be ready for the higher paper?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Txu99
I'm currently in year 10, and two days ago I was moved from the higher tier to lower tier. I didn't do as well as I should have in my final exams in year nine because I spent a lot of time messing around. Now I'm really worried because I feel incredibly out of place in the foundation class- I asked my new teacher if there's chance I'll move back up and sit the higher paper, and she said yes but she didn't seem to bothered about it. I really want to move up but I have no idea how to, I'm not so great at maths but I'm entirely willing to put 100% effort. Does anyone have any tips? Is there really a possibility of me moving up, or did I blow up all my chances last year? The syllabus is a lot different to the higher classes one, if im learning from this one, how can I possibly be ready for thr higher paper?

I would try to solve this out immediately. Speak to a higher up (Head of Maths, Deputy Headteacher, Assistant Headteacher ect). Tell them that you simply do not want to sit the foundation paper, and that you have the ability to sit the higher exam. Solve this issue asap so you don't miss too much content from the higher class.
Reply 2
You should definitely speak to your head of maths, head of year or appropriate person quickly (like Aklaol suggested) - the sooner the better.
If nothing gets done then get your parents to email or phone in.

Don't be disheartened by this, keep working and revising for tests and proving that you are capable of the work and will be able to get a good grade on the higher paper!
Get your parents in. Speaking to a teacher alone won't do anything. If you get your parents in, the teachers crap themselves and they'll put you to higher tier again.
Original post by Txu99
I'm currently in year 10, and two days ago I was moved from the higher tier to lower tier. I didn't do as well as I should have in my final exams in year nine because I spent a lot of time messing around. Now I'm really worried because I feel incredibly out of place in the foundation class- I asked my new teacher if there's chance I'll move back up and sit the higher paper, and she said yes but she didn't seem to bothered about it. I really want to move up but I have no idea how to, I'm not so great at maths but I'm entirely willing to put 100% effort. Does anyone have any tips? Is there really a possibility of me moving up, or did I blow up all my chances last year? The syllabus is a lot different to the higher classes one, if im learning from this one, how can I possibly be ready for the higher paper?

dont worry!
As long as you work hard and are determined to do well you'll be fine. Just make sure you concentrate in the next 2 years and prior to mocks and real exams do lots of past papers and do them over and over again. I was in the same place as you when I was in yr 10 but my class were set to do higher however one teacher came in saw r class and because r teacher was knew he thought it was okay to make us do two years of foundation in just one year before moving to higher and I swear we all need up doing higher for the final exams. I was angry because the class that was our equivalent got to do higher as they're teacher was old so couldn't be bossed around I guess. I kinda felt so sorry for that class because in then end r class ended up doing much better and all because we were able to get the basics right that we struggled with. R teacher was so cool and she was like you will all do higher in the end so do t worry. I was predicted D/C at the start of yr 10 and ended up getting an A.
I would recommend you use hegarty maths and raw maths videos as well as maths genie (they have all the topics from grade E to A* with a video example and worked solutions next to the topic past papers l) also pour school may give you login details for maths watch too plus I'd recommend getting a tutor too. Start now and you'll be glad you did on results day- I too did so badly in the end of yr 9 maths test (and expected to do so ) so was so happy when I saw my grade in results day last month :smile: don't worry just believe in yourself
Reply 5
Speak to your head of maths.

Say that you understand why you were put down, admit that it was your fault, you shouldn't have mucked about, and that you're really keen to do well.

Offer to take a test that they can set you some time in the next few weeks to prove that you can do well enough. This will show that you really mean it, Oh, and make sure that you do well in it!
Eat a maths book.

It makes you smart :h:

Spoiler

Reply 7
There really isn't any point in my parents calling in, I've already asked my maths teacher (I go to a teeny private school, we only have two classes and the head of maths would be my new teacher) and she's said I have until the end of year 10 to move up, but I feel like that's going to set me back way to much. I want to move back uo by the end of this year, but I'm not sure how?
Reply 8
If the Head of Maths is going to be your teacher then you need to impress the hell out of her. Work like a demon and ask for additional work. Show her that you're serious and willing to put the work in and she'll move you up.
Reply 9
Original post by Txu99

Get your parents to email in and explain. If they are teaching you to take the lower tier paper then the longer you are in the class the harder it will be to transition back to higher.
The cannot force you to take lower tier. But that can force you to stay in the lower tier paper class, making it very difficult for you to do well on the higher tier paper.

Unfortunately it sounds like you are being used to help the schools statistics.
They want everyone taking higher to get A's and everyone who takes foundation to get C's (because it makes them look better when they are inspected).
If they think you might or might not get a B then they are likely just to put you on foundation. To make them look better.

Don't like them turn you into a statistic.
Original post by Txu99

Tell on that b****. JK, do what every else says.
Original post by Txu99

you know what bro, fk the teachers and speak to the head teacher. Just ask the head teacher that you want to pay for the maths higher tier exam instead of doing foundation and they will let u in

you know you can pay for doing higher tier, which costs £60, my sister done that and it was worth. she was put in foundation but when she paid for it, she got A.
Reply 12
Original post by Starlight2000
dont worry!
As long as you work hard and are determined to do well you'll be fine. Just make sure you concentrate in the next 2 years and prior to mocks and real exams do lots of past papers and do them over and over again. I was in the same place as you when I was in yr 10 but my class were set to do higher however one teacher came in saw r class and because r teacher was knew he thought it was okay to make us do two years of foundation in just one year before moving to higher and I swear we all need up doing higher for the final exams. I was angry because the class that was our equivalent got to do higher as they're teacher was old so couldn't be bossed around I guess. I kinda felt so sorry for that class because in then end r class ended up doing much better and all because we were able to get the basics right that we struggled with. R teacher was so cool and she was like you will all do higher in the end so do t worry. I was predicted D/C at the start of yr 10 and ended up getting an A.
I would recommend you use hegarty maths and raw maths videos as well as maths genie (they have all the topics from grade E to A* with a video example and worked solutions next to the topic past papers l) also pour school may give you login details for maths watch too plus I'd recommend getting a tutor too. Start now and you'll be glad you did on results day- I too did so badly in the end of yr 9 maths test (and expected to do so ) so was so happy when I saw my grade in results day last month :smile: don't worry just believe in yourself

Original post by Wirefox
You should definitely speak to your head of maths, head of year or appropriate person quickly (like Aklaol suggested) - the sooner the better.
If nothing gets done then get your parents to email or phone in.

Don't be disheartened by this, keep working and revising for tests and proving that you are capable of the work and will be able to get a good grade on the higher paper!

Original post by Pangol
Speak to your head of maths.

Say that you understand why you were put down, admit that it was your fault, you shouldn't have mucked about, and that you're really keen to do well.

Offer to take a test that they can set you some time in the next few weeks to prove that you can do well enough. This will show that you really mean it, Oh, and make sure that you do well in it!

Original post by Lissy14
Get your parents to email in and explain. If they are teaching you to take the lower tier paper then the longer you are in the class the harder it will be to transition back to higher.
The cannot force you to take lower tier. But that can force you to stay in the lower tier paper class, making it very difficult for you to do well on the higher tier paper.

Unfortunately it sounds like you are being used to help the schools statistics.
They want everyone taking higher to get A's and everyone who takes foundation to get C's (because it makes them look better when they are inspected).
If they think you might or might not get a B then they are likely just to put you on foundation. To make them look better.

Don't like them turn you into a statistic.

Original post by Light Venom
you know what bro, fk the teachers and speak to the head teacher. Just ask the head teacher that you want to pay for the maths higher tier exam instead of doing foundation and they will let u in

you know you can pay for doing higher tier, which costs £60, my sister done that and it was worth. she was put in foundation but when she paid for it, she got A.

Thanks! I didn't end up asking my maths teacher, figured I'd just prove I could do it. She's entering me for the higher paper. Hopefully moving classes next year :biggrin:
Similar happened to me- one of my Science teachers wanted to make me do the single Science paper instead of dual award (the most able students did separate Sciences, everyone else did Dual except the real no hopers who did single) but my mum refused to sign the form that was needed- I was already being bullied (school refused to do anything as it was an Asian girl bullying me and she had said she would cry racism if the school tried to discipline her so they refused to do anything) my mum was furious and said she would withdraw me from the school if I was forced to do single.
I was allowed to do dual- I got DD but I'm told I wasn't far off a C.
Reply 14
Quick update if anyone still cares,
I got moved classes around December of year eleven! Felt really good. Ended up getting a 7, which is disappointing but I'm taking A level maths right now and I enjoy it so much more. Thanks for your support :smile:
Congrats man
Original post by Txu99
Quick update if anyone still cares,
I got moved classes around December of year eleven! Felt really good. Ended up getting a 7, which is disappointing but I'm taking A level maths right now and I enjoy it so much more. Thanks for your support :smile:
hi sorry im really late, but i really relate to you, im currently in year 11 and ive been stressing out about the higher tier since year 9 as ive always knew i wanted higher than a C in my GCSEs, in year 9 i messed about a lot and my whole set was put on foundation, during november parents evening i expressed my concerns to my maths teacher after telling him that for me to be able to do the subjects i want at sixth form i needed a minimum 6 in maths and to that he basically had no response and still carried on telling me that there was a 90% chance i would do foundation, of course this disheartened me a lot but instead i used it as motivation and carried on working hard, i gave him a past paper to mark and i was a few marks of a 7, during the march parents evening he told me that if i do well on the foundation mocks he will move me up to higher, my mocks start on the 12th april and im just praying i do well enough to be moved onto higher, especially with exams cancelled it puts a lot of pressure on me as these mocks will probarbly determine my gcse grades
Original post by lol9812
hi sorry im really late, but i really relate to you, im currently in year 11 and ive been stressing out about the higher tier since year 9 as ive always knew i wanted higher than a C in my GCSEs, in year 9 i messed about a lot and my whole set was put on foundation, during november parents evening i expressed my concerns to my maths teacher after telling him that for me to be able to do the subjects i want at sixth form i needed a minimum 6 in maths and to that he basically had no response and still carried on telling me that there was a 90% chance i would do foundation, of course this disheartened me a lot but instead i used it as motivation and carried on working hard, i gave him a past paper to mark and i was a few marks of a 7, during the march parents evening he told me that if i do well on the foundation mocks he will move me up to higher, my mocks start on the 12th april and im just praying i do well enough to be moved onto higher, especially with exams cancelled it puts a lot of pressure on me as these mocks will probarbly determine my gcse grades

Hi, same situation here, people expect so much from me but I’m doing foundation for maths because of my class, my teacher said that I can do higher if I do well on the mocks but those upcoming mocks are my grades, these teachers don’t care... , what are you doing to revise maths ? Because I know it’s been hard this year.
Original post by SnartySmartie975
Hi, same situation here, people expect so much from me but I’m doing foundation for maths because of my class, my teacher said that I can do higher if I do well on the mocks but those upcoming mocks are my grades, these teachers don’t care... , what are you doing to revise maths ? Because I know it’s been hard this year.

Hi, so basically for my mock exams they will be a mixture of different past paper questions, so I have just been going through loads of past papers so hopefully, when I sit my exam on Monday i will have seen the questions before. ikr teachers actually dont care about us, its the same with science aswell, i even spoke to my chemistry teacher who is the head of science at the start of march and told him i want to get moved to higher and he agreed however in school he still gives me the foundation sheets, im going to ask him on monday if for my mocks he will give me the higher paper like what we spoke about during parents evening lol wish me luck !
hi , so im in a very similar situation rn , i have my science test tomorrow that will determine whether im doing higher or not and i haven't been able to revise effectively , therefore im preparing myself if i get moved to foundation , i was just wondering whether the same would be able to happen for science , if i could move back up to doing higher by the end of year 10? or whether i'd have to wait till year 11?x

Quick Reply

Latest