The Student Room Group

Can I Do A GCSE In Further Maths?

I've looked it up and it seems like only iGCSE or level 2 award thing.
Is there a GCSE in it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Squishy•
Is there a GCSE in it?

Level 2 Award = GCSE....
Is there a GCSE in it?

There's certainly an IGCSE and a Level 2 Certificate in it, yeah.
Yes you can do a gcse in further maths
Hey,
You can do the FSMQ (look it up if you're interested) which is technically not a GCSE, but is basically like Further Maths, and Sixth Forms will take note of it. I'm doing the FSMQ with OCR; I've heard it's the best one (my brother took it with Edexcel, but the book wasn't complete etc.)...
Just as a bit of a warning, schools won't often teach it, so you may find yourself doing it independently... on the bright side, it's very good for your study habits, and the OCR FSMQ is designed for self-teaching! Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Plagioclase
There's certainly an IGCSE and a Level 2 Certificate in it, yeah.

Neither are actually a GCSE are they?
Neither are actually a GCSE are they?

An IGCSE is a GCSE and the Level 2 Certificate in Further Maths is a GCSE equivalent.
Reply 7
An IGCSE is a GCSE and the Level 2 Certificate in Further Maths is a GCSE equivalent.

Yeah so there isn't an actual GCSE i can do just alternatives or equivalents.
Yeah so there isn't an actual GCSE i can do just alternatives or equivalents.

Well IGCSEs are GCSEs, they're just linear. But they are recognised as GCSEs.
well i'm not sure about doing a GCSE in further maths... but I know that you can do a GCSE in additional maths which is different from the core GCSE maths but is quite similar to A Level Maths :smile:
Reply 10
Well IGCSEs are GCSEs, they're just linear. But they are recognised as GCSEs.

so igcses are more of a gcse than Level 2 award?
so igcses are more of a gcse than Level 2 award?

Look, as far as anybody is concerned they're all basically GCSEs. The IGCSE is without a doubt practically identical to a GCSE. There are some Level 2 qualifications that are a bit "dodgy" but stuff like the AQA Level 2 Certificate in Further Maths are absolutely respectable.
Reply 12
Look, as far as anybody is concerned they're all basically GCSEs. The IGCSE is without a doubt practically identical to a GCSE. There are some Level 2 qualifications that are a bit "dodgy" but stuff like the AQA Level 2 Certificate in Further Maths are absolutely respectable.

hmm okay thanks. So which is the one i can get A^ in? Also do you know which is better to do; AQA or Edexcel or etc. ?
hmm okay thanks. So which is the one i can get A^ in? Also do you know which is better to do; AQA or Edexcel or etc. ?

AQA's Level 2 Certificate in Further Maths has the A^ (pain in the backside if you ask me because nobody actually recognises that mark so I just write A* for it).
There is no GCSE in Further Maths.
AQA offer a Level 2 certificate/IGCSE in Further Maths which is a challenging and worth while qualification but it doesn't count for state school league tables so many schools may stop doing it. This is the one with an A^
OCR offer Free Standing Maths Qualifications (FSMQ), often called Additional Maths and fairly often taken at Level 3 in Year 11 although the AQA one above has been overtaking it in popularity over the past few years.
Reply 15
AQA's Level 2 Certificate in Further Maths has the A^ (pain in the backside if you ask me because nobody actually recognises that mark so I just write A* for it).

Oh haha. Would u say Edexcel igcse is better then?
Oh haha. Would u say Edexcel igcse is better then?

I honestly haven't got a clue. I did the AQA Level 2 Certificate in Further Maths and didn't think it was too demanding but I don't know about other qualifications.
Reply 17
I honestly haven't got a clue. I did the AQA Level 2 Certificate in Further Maths and didn't think it was too demanding but I don't know about other qualifications.

Ah right I just thought because u said the grade is a pain
Ah right I just thought because u said the grade is a pain

I don't want to exaggerate, I just mean it was a minor irritation when filling in some forms. The qualification is fine.
Reply 19
I don't want to exaggerate, I just mean it was a minor irritation when filling in some forms. The qualification is fine.

Aaaaaargh this is hard lol

Quick Reply

Latest