London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hm, didn't know that.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Oh yes. How odd. I'm not sure which one to choose. I'll give it some thought.

This bit worries me!:

"It is also likely that those students receiving a King's College award will wear a newly designed academic gown and hood on graduation."

Lol.
I'll be choosing KCL.
Why?
Reply 5
everyone knows KCL is part of UoL, whereres if you just a University of London degree, for all employers know, it could be from westminister or st georges

You really so some research before yapping off. Westminster isin't part of the UoL, whilst St George is one of the top medical schools in the country. The present UoL degree already states the particular college within the UoL that you attended.
^ I'll be choosing King's because UofL is losing its strength...Imperial is off, i wouldn't be surprised if KCL,UCL and LSE leave soon aswell. It doesn't matter too much though but still
Reply 7
I think I might be choosing King's as well, although there really isn't much of a difference between the two degrees - merely which name gets shown in the bigger and fancier font! :smile:

As for the graduation robes, they can't be that different. The current robes are gold and blue I think. The new ones will just have King's colours - gold and red. I think I might like the red more. :biggrin:
Reply 8
Yes, red is better than blue. Woo Gryffindor colours lol.

I'm leaning towards King's, I think.
Generations of academics and world leaders have received the University of London degree. It's good enough for me. MSc (London) = awesome.
^ Msc LSE=awesome if not better too! So....hmm
Reply 11
BA (King's College London) just as unmistakable...
Reply 12
Lol. Are we all here for the name of the city on the certificate? Forget Cambridge, who knows where that is on the map! Hehe
more adventurous
If you're a current student at KCL, you will have received an email today asking you to choose if you want to receive a KCL degree or a University of London one.

What are you choosing and why?

oo I posted something similar in the medicine forum before seeing this post! I have no idea what to choose, from the medicine point of view I was thinking King's because it's related to GKT hospitals which are very well known and is why I chose King's in the first place. Although I could be swayed by the robes...:p:
Reply 14
I would choose the KCL one over the UOL one if I was given a choice, quite simply because war studies (my course) is only offered at KCL and I doubt I would use the other UOL facilities.
Tomharper
I would choose the KCL one over the UOL one if I was given a choice, quite simply because war studies (my course) is only offered at KCL and I doubt I would use the other UOL facilities.

Yeah right, there are always War Studies people in my way at the LSE library.
I was under the impression that only current students are to be given the choice- those with at least a year left at kings- all new students from sept 2007 onwards are to be awarded a KCL degree.

So since the kcl degree is going to be awarded to 100% of students in place of the UoL one from the time this years' freshers graduate, the issue for me is whether I want to be part of the "old" crowd and get the UoL degree as generations before me have done or be part of the "new" crowd, when all the biggest and best known colleges have left the UoL (probably within the next 5 years).

so it pretty much comes down to which brand you wish to subscribe to. I've asked around a few recruiters and the consensus is that it makes not a scrap of difference careers-wise.
Reply 17
I think i'm going to go for the Kings degree, I saw the hoods for the graduating lot and they dont look great, lets hope the KCL ones are nicer!
Reply 18
kidney thief
I was under the impression that only current students are to be given the choice- those with at least a year left at kings- all new students from sept 2007 onwards are to be awarded a KCL degree.

So since the kcl degree is going to be awarded to 100% of students in place of the UoL one from the time this years' freshers graduate, the issue for me is whether I want to be part of the "old" crowd and get the UoL degree as generations before me have done or be part of the "new" crowd, when all the biggest and best known colleges have left the UoL (probably within the next 5 years).

Ah... well if that is the case it might well be worth subscribing to the 'old' crowd, even if their graduation clothes aren't as nice, lol.
I have a feeling the majority of my year will do that, not by choice, but because the deadline is mid-September, the default option is UofL, and most people I know don't check their emails in the holidays...
Reply 19
Tomharper

Since King's isn't formally separating from UoL, surely you'd still have access to the other facilities. Although whether you use them is up to you.

Latest