Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Universities for life sciences without a level chem?

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016

So I have just recently entered year 12 which was daunting and still is a bit with the work load I realised I will have for the next 18 months or so.
    For my GCSES I got 1A* 5As and 4Bs which were okay... I had hoped to do better but with the rise in grade boundaries and apparently harsher marking I am content and I was only a few marks off the next grades for most of my subjects.
    For A levels I have picked Bio, Chem, Ancient History and English Lang. I am happy with my choices apart from Chemistry - at an already early stage I am not enjoying it in any way and I am intending on dropping it and changing it to psychology (which I also did for GCSE).I hope to go into research after university preferably medical e.g. drug and disease research; I am incredibly interested and find it really rewarding. For the past 4 years or so I have been wanting so badly to do medicine even building on my voluntary work for awhile but I have decided it may not be for me.

So anyway long story short does anyone know of any Russell Group universities that offer Life Sciences or similar courses that would allow me to do a postgraduate/masters to carry on into preferably medical research without a Chemistry A level? Or anyone with similar experience?
    I have rang Manchester uni and checked on their website and they would accept me if I could get an A in biology A in psychology and at least a B in the other subject(s).
    I think the major thing that is scaring me about A levels is the new spec and how we have to sit all exams at the end of the two years. Obviously we did do this for GCSE but that was different the work load is 10x as much.
    Thank you I appreciate the help immensely

Hi! I would imagine most universities are similar to Manchester. From personal experience, I am just about to start at Warwick to study Biomed and they have a system that means you can get in without chemistry but you have to take a module of chemistry within the degree to get you up to the same level as those who did the A-Level

The only thing I would say is that quite a few universities ask for two sciences as a requirement, but I'm sure that not all have that requirement.

My best advice would be to find which universities you're interested in and see what they say. Sorry I haven't been much help

Posted from TSR Mobile
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 11, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.