The Student Room Group
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website

worried about commuting

so im off to uni in September but i deiced to commute rather than living in halls as i only live a 40 minutes train journey away but now im worried ive made the wrong choice. i cant stop thinking that i will be missing out on so much, i was looking at options if i could still move out but im so confused by it all and wondered if anyone had any advice? Has anyone else stayed at home for uni and did it affect your experience? anyone know how i could find accommodation
which uni are you studying at?
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Bananapeeler
which uni are you studying at?

Nottingham Trent uni
Original post by sarahlouliv
Nottingham Trent uni

Oh sweet, I'm starting at uni soon too so I can't give any concrete reassurance but you'll meet everyone somebody living in halls would minus people from your flat and block. With clubs/societies/nightlife you'll still come across plenty of people. That said if you can find student accommodation I would recommend it, for me moving away from home was a must :L
You could contact the accommodation office and ask for help. By this time I doubt there's any on campus accommodation left but they can help you get in contact with reliable private accommodation that's partnered with the university. Also check out the student Castle in Nottingham, it won't be on campus but will hopefully have the same student vibe.
Reply 5
Original post by imjustnotnormal
You could contact the accommodation office and ask for help. By this time I doubt there's any on campus accommodation left but they can help you get in contact with reliable private accommodation that's partnered with the university. Also check out the student Castle in Nottingham, it won't be on campus but will hopefully have the same student vibe.

thanks for the advice :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Bananapeeler
Oh sweet, I'm starting at uni soon too so I can't give any concrete reassurance but you'll meet everyone somebody living in halls would minus people from your flat and block. With clubs/societies/nightlife you'll still come across plenty of people. That said if you can find student accommodation I would recommend it, for me moving away from home was a must :L

yeah i think ill have a look, its just the finance and everything that confuses me :L
Reply 7
You'll be fine... by about week 3 you'll be one of the few who doesn't smell because your laundry will be being done.

What's your plan B if there's a public transport strike/leaves on the line?
Reply 8
Original post by polysci
You'll be fine... by about week 3 you'll be one of the few who doesn't smell because your laundry will be being done.

What's your plan B if there's a public transport strike/leaves on the line?

thats a very good point haha, :P my friend is dropping me off in Nottingham as he goes to a different uni but he passes through mine so public transport is m plan b :smile:
Hi @sarahlouliv

I can't speak from experience here as I stayed in Nottingham during my first 2 years at NTU, however having spoken to people I know who have lived at home and commuted to uni they have said that their uni experience is different, especially not living with other students. My advice would be to get stuck in to societies, connect with your course mates and make the most of life outside of lectures.

There's a Facebook group run by NTSU for local and commuting students not living in halls which you might find helpful to find other students in your situation.

If you do want to live in Notts then you may want to look at private halls of residence that the University's student accommodation services team works with. In which case, do get in contact with them as they can give you further advice and support.

Hope this helps
Tim

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending