Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do you do if you're sick in public?

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

(Original post by TeddyBear86)
    It depends if the situation is serious or not if its due to dodgy food then stay at home

Access to HE in Social Work

BSc Health and Social Care - pending
    OP has said already that's not what they're talking about. This is about being caught short in a public place with a serious illness, not throwing up once or twice at home.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I have a terrible vomiting phobia and last night I had an awful thought: what if I got sick far away from home with no way to get home without using public transport? What if no one was willing to help me? I'd be far too embarrassed to use public transport if I was really ill, since it wouldn't be nice at all for the other people there, and I obviously wouldn't be able to walk all the way home.

Would it be acceptable to go to hospital in this case? Just somewhere where I can go to deal with the illness before I'm well enough to travel home? I'm attempted to tackle my phobia by thinking about what I would actually DO if these terrible scenarios occurred rather than just worrying about them happening in the first place.

Would also help if people could reassure me that I'm being ridiculous, I need to be told how unlikely this is. Especially since I'm not pregnant and I don't drink.
    I have quite bad emetophobia. I've had a number of treatments including medication and therapy. EMDR is a type of therapy that can be helpful with phobias - maybe have a look at that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 15, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.