Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Please help - difficulties with evidence for student finance

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    If anyone can help me understand exactly what student finance has asked for that would be a big help.

    After sending a few copies of my mother's council tax bill (she's separated) to student finance, they have decided that evidence is not sufficient because it doesn't show a 25% discount, but actually has more than 25% discounted due to my mother's disability.

    I have also sent them an email sent to my mother from a solicitor she got advice from last year stating her current situation and that she is separated and in the process of divorce. That also wasn't enough evidence because it wasn't formal enough (even though it tells them what they need to know)

    Now student finance have asked for 3 different types of evidence:
    -utility bills
    -confirmation from council of people living in the household
    -statutory declaration

    I have just phoned student finance to confirm what they want for each piece of evidence, because they seem to change their minds a lot about what makes evidence valid.

    Is anyone else having a lot of trouble getting more than the minimum amount of maintenance loan?
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 11, 2016
What do you wear to bed?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.