The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I don't know for sure, but heres what I reckon...

According to Flemings left hand rule, if you have 2 out of force, current and magnetic field then the other one will be created (as long as they are all perpendicular to each other). If you have and iron atom going round in a circle, you have the centripetal force acting towards the centre, but no current, so no field will be created. However, if you have an iron ion, then this charged particle moving will act as a current, and you have the centripetal force going towards the centre of the circle, and they are at rights angles to each other. Therefore a magnetic field will be created using an iron ion instead of an iron atom.
Reply 2
theoffender
I don't know for sure, but heres what I reckon...

According to Flemings left hand rule, if you have 2 out of force, current and magnetic field then the other one will be created (as long as they are all perpendicular to each other). If you have and iron atom going round in a circle, you have the centripetal force acting towards the centre, but no current, so no field will be created. However, if you have an iron ion, then this charged particle moving will act as a current, and you have the centripetal force going towards the centre of the circle, and they are at rights angles to each other. Therefore a magnetic field will be created using an iron ion instead of an iron atom.

Thank you very much,that helps me ensure my thoughts.

Latest

Trending

Trending