The Student Room Group

Shall i leave medicine and come back to it later?

Hello all,

I am going through a pretty hard time right now. Last october, started medicine at imperial. I did very little work during the year, more play than work, had some family problems too and also i just kept falling behind on work and was never successful when i tried to catch up. I failed more than half of the year. But i did pass some exams. And now resitting those exams failed in end of this month (28th aug to be exact - only have 3 and a bit weeks left). I am currently revising for these exams but it just isnt very effective. But i may pass since pass mark is 50%.

I stilll want to be a doctor but i started medical school when i was 17 and was and i think i still am immature and pretty naive. I feel like i should have taken a gap year after a levels to travel/become wiser/grow up basically. Right now im thinking, theres so many things that are adventurous/eg expeditions/travels/cultures that i was to see and try out.

So do people recommend i leave medicine now, take a gap year, do things i want to do and sort myself out and see if imperial take me back after i have taken a gap year (i know of 2 people currently at imperial who have done that - ie left after first year, took a gap year and then started all over again) or am i just going through a bad time and my best bet is if i work these 3 weeks and pass those exams and continue with medicine 2nd year?

im a bit confused. :frown:
Reply 1
anyone? :frown:

is it a bad idea to take a year out and then start again? and so should i soldier on? Or if i feel i need a break from academia should i take one? What are people's experiences of this?
Reply 2
Quite a brave post (all things considered!)...

I guess the only person who knows your ability and state of mind is you... Do you think you can pass resits? Not passing them might mean you have to leave the course, with no option to return... Have you spoken to anyone at Imperial about this? Staff tend to be more supportive if you include them in your plans at an earlier point, and will then usually bend over backwards to support you in whatever you decide...

It's not unheard of for people to take years out of their study - but as I said, you need to start talking to peeps at Imperial if this is what you decide you need/want to do.

Good luck, hon. xxx
Reply 3
Hey,

It's a tough choice because medicine is just so competitive to get into. If you quit now after failing your year and then reapply it is entirely possible that you won't receive a place anywhere when you reapply. I know people with AMAZING grades and extra-curriculurs and personality and interview skills who did not get a single one of their four choices on applying, let alone after having interrupted/aborted their studies.

What I think you should keep in mind is that medicine offers a lot of opportunity to travel and explore other cultures and do all that stuff you seem interested in. I know that at Imperial at the end of your fifth year you spend a couple of months abroad working in a hospital in a country of your choice (of course the hospital has to accept you). Once you qualify as a doctor there's also lots of opportunities for travel and international work (taken to the extreme, you could work on a cruise ship). If you were doing any other course at (almost) any other university I would say take a year out, but with medicine I think you're best staying put and travelling as part of your degree/career.

EDIT: Sorry I didnt see that Imperial would allow you to return again for your first year after reapplying. I guess that makes it safer, but still keep in mind that medicine offers lots of opportunities for getting around without having to do a gap year.
Reply 4
If you need a break, then take one; your sanity is more important than anything else :smile:
Reply 5
Marie05
Hello all,

I am going through a pretty hard time right now. Last october, started medicine at imperial. I did very little work during the year, more play than work, had some family problems too and also i just kept falling behind on work and was never successful when i tried to catch up. I failed more than half of the year. But i did pass some exams. And now resitting those exams failed in end of this month (28th aug to be exact - only have 3 and a bit weeks left). I am currently revising for these exams but it just isnt very effective. But i may pass since pass mark is 50%.

I stilll want to be a doctor but i started medical school when i was 17 and was and i think i still am immature and pretty naive. I feel like i should have taken a gap year after a levels to travel/become wiser/grow up basically. Right now im thinking, theres so many things that are adventurous/eg expeditions/travels/cultures that i was to see and try out.

So do people recommend i leave medicine now, take a gap year, do things i want to do and sort myself out and see if imperial take me back after i have taken a gap year (i know of 2 people currently at imperial who have done that - ie left after first year, took a gap year and then started all over again) or am i just going through a bad time and my best bet is if i work these 3 weeks and pass those exams and continue with medicine 2nd year?

im a bit confused. :frown:
Well, I'm pretty sure you can pass your retakes, because as said you only need 50%.

They obviously didn't think you were immature or naive when they let you in. And I'm not sure how travelling the world will change that. I'd say spending a month in Africa last Summer really changed my view on life, the world, but I don't think it really makes me feel less young and blonde at med school!! Even if I guess I am more mature for it.

I don't think you should drop out because you fear you're immature, the fact you even consider that makes you more mature than most of my year at med school. TBH if ever I feel like I don't belong there, I can just look at the people giggling at 'rude' words in lectures/running in late laughing/setting off fire alarms in halls :rolleyes:

Urm, I reckon ask Gimperial if you can have a gap year and if they say yes, do it, if not.. power through medicine. :smile:
Reply 6
If you think you need to step back, then go for it. I nearly suspended my course last year due to ill health, but made the decision to go back and haven't regretted it. That said, a friend was in teh same predicament and has now left after coming back and giving the second year a go to convince herself.

If Imperial will let you and you still feel like this after your resits, then definetely consider it. You can't do your best if you don't feel like you want to be there.

Good luck with your resits :smile:
Reply 7
Thank you all for the replies :smile:, I'm keeping my personal tutor up to date with my progress/decisions.

I'll just give these resits my best shot and see what happens and how im feeling afterwards. It might be just the lack of confidence and the fact that i have unsuccessfully been trying to revise for so long. :s-smilie: that makes me think i want to cut this off and come back to it later when im more ready. I dont know, i'll see in september, but now i'll try and focus on the resits.
Thank you all for your advice xxxx
Reply 8
Heyyyyyyy I am in exactly da samee position believe it or not....i was at Lancaster doing medicine first year there...but due to several reasons, most importantly my grandad being terminally ill n passing away in the middle of my exams, i had to withdraw last july. They weren't able 2 offer me a transfer 2 anuva medical school, nor were they able to allow me to retake the 2nd yr.

They weren't able 2 give me a transfer or retake because my pbl record was soo poor and exam results were poor (due to the vast personal problems both at uni and at home) n due to me being in the area and never really adjusting to the people or the environment there (village and hardly any people i could relate to of my religion, being an asian myself) i felt suffocated, and felt the only thing to do was to quit 4 ma sanity lol!!

But i noo medicine woz defoo ryt 4 me, jus da circumstances of where i was studying n wat woz happenin at da tyme dat reli gt 2 me...therefore i duno wat 2 do, at the moment, i'm obtaining optometry work exp, and applying for optometry at aston in this year's ucas cycle. I would apply for medicine again, but im scaredd i wud gt rejected n b left with nothing, as optometry defoo needs its own personal statement. How long does a ucas record last btw, cus i'm hpin 2 go into postgrad medicine afta optometry?? This wrks out evn bta actualli, cus dere wud b immense possibilities with both an optometry and medicine degree, cud even run a dual practice haha!! :P N to be honest, staying with medicine at lancaster, it would have taken me 2 or 3 yrs longer dan normal 2 pass da course, due 2 da area being soo difficult, soo dis way, with postgrad medicine afta optom, i wud graduate at pretty much da smee tyme! Bt is dis possible, or will dey look at me withdrawing frm medical school bout 4 yrs ago at da tyme of da application, n bin it?? Or won't dat matter cus of ma (in an ideal situation) first degree in optometry??? I need advice!!!! LOL.
Reply 9
I would advice that you work to try and get your resits passed as then your uni will prob be a lot more sympathetic to your cause. I know a few people who have taken a year out and then joined the year bellow a year later. Keep them informed of you plan.

Good luck
Ive been in ur situation well i was really poorley at the beginning of last yr and lost all interest in work and medicine. I was allowed to take a year out. But i have no idea whether i actually wanna go back anymore either but im hoping its just nerves but im terrified of all the bad things which happened which led me to taking a year out in the first place coming back to haunt me next year and im going to be really ill again. In fact im beginning to question whether medicine really is for me afterall not because i dont wanna be a doctor more due to the effect on my health of doing all the work and hours and would be bieng ill constantly actually achieve anything for me at this moment in time??

Latest

Trending

Trending