Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Starting my biology degree after a gap year - what to expect??

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Hi people

So I was originally supposed to go to York to study Biology last September but decided at the last minute that I didn't feel ready and took a year out instead. Now, a year on, it is almost time for me to start.

I've heard from a lot of people that the first year of uni is basically just a recap of A Level and that it's not really any more difficult. I guess for most undergraduates starting their degree, there has not been that much of an interval between doing A Levels and starting their degree. However after over a year of not being in any form of education, my A Level knowledge is pretty bare now and I've forgotten the majority of it. I'm not sure if this will hold me back when I start the course as I'll have to catch up with everyone else who's still got that knowledge fresh in their brains or if it will be easy to recap. I'm considering in this next two weeks before freshers whether to go through my old A Level Biology notes so I'm up to speed or will that be a waste of time? Anyone who's been through a similar thing might be able to help.

First off, first year is definitely not a recap of A levels. For a start people come in from a load of different backgrounds and experience levels and A levels aren't the be all and end all of education! The first year is about bringing people up to speed and building on basic knowledge that people have so don't worry. It will come back to you as you go along so enjoy your time off till you start.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 12, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.