Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Help me understand plates theory of forms and the cave analogy

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

My teacher has asked us to research the theory of forms and the cave analogy. I don't get them. What influenced the cave analogy what is it trying to suggest?

I'm not a theology or philosophy student but as I understand it the cave analogy represents how people (the prisoners) can only see imperfect forms of things. The man who breaks free transcends this and can see the perfect forms of things. Everything in the world has a perfect and ideal form but due to the limitations of the world etc most things are imperfect forms?

Theory of forms (I conclude that this is how you Englishmen call the Theory of Ideas/Concepts):

-Material objects are organized according to ideal rules (ideas/concepts/forms). Both these ideas and material objects are real, however material objects are made of imperferfect material that causes their degeneration. Also, material objects are organized according to various ideas. For example, there is no idea of tree, but there are ideas which reflected in materia, altogether effect in "existence" (ugh, bad word, the Greeks didn't have any procesual "is" or "existence" of a tree. There is a set of ideas common to all trees which results in the fact, that various kinds of trees can be described as a tree.

Example of modern interpretation: laws of physics, logic etc.

The cave analogy suggests-
    Human senses and cognitive abilites are limited, they work on material objects. Therefore they see only a limited spectrum of things, and those are material beings (shadows). This results in various flaws of human perception. If human was free ant went out from the cave to see the world outside (this is the SAME world, only another part of it) at he would be blinded by Sun, same as human is blinded when trying to see ideas, because his senses and mind are set to observe the limited, material objects.

Example of modern interpretation:

Humans can't see laws of physics, but they can observe them indirectly, by experience on behaviour of material objects. Process of learning takes time, human cognitive abilities are also limited, so the best of our brains do realize that there is something behind what we can recognized in sensual way, but we have more or less limitations, so we are more or less blinded
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 15, 2016
TSR Support Team
Would you rather be able to

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.