The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Studying in Glasgow

So this is my final year in sixth form, and I think I've decided that I'm going to apply for Glasgow to study genetics, can anyone tell me what it's like studying biology in the first year? I know that all life science degrees are the same at Glasgow for the first year, I would just like to know what sort of things you learn in the first year.
Reply 1
I don't study biology, but with any course at Glasgow uni you can see what is in the syllabus, so for first year biology you take bio 1a and 1b, taken in the first and second semester respectively.

Here are the links for those classes:
http://www.gla.ac.uk/coursecatalogue/course/?code=BIOL1001
http://www.gla.ac.uk/coursecatalogue/course/?code=BIOL1002

There is sometimes more information in the spec document at the top of the page.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by hannah-grace
So this is my final year in sixth form, and I think I've decided that I'm going to apply for Glasgow to study genetics, can anyone tell me what it's like studying biology in the first year? I know that all life science degrees are the same at Glasgow for the first year, I would just like to know what sort of things you learn in the first year.

hi,

i am a second year undergraduate microbiologist here at the university. yes you will be given a general introduction to biology over the two semesters, the biology courses are split and assessed over two semesters. you will get a feel for the areas of biology from microbiology to genetics so that you can make an informed decision when you come to make you final choices at the end of second year. so you will learn things like; epigenetics, epidemiology, historical disease, the use of plants as model organisms etc. i can not offer a comprehensive list as over the past year and in the future the university is reviewing and amending its courses and course in the school of life sciences are being overhauled. but generally for 1st year and to and extent 2nd year you cover a range pf biological disciplines before choosing your final honors choice.

Ask a student ementor
if you have any questions please feel free to download the hello uni app and you will be able to contact mentors like myself who know these course really well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending