The Student Room Group

PS Conclusion

Main issue: After (almost) completing my 1st draft of my PS I've realised I only have 1 line to write a conclusion. How important is the conclusion? Should I remove another line to leave more room for it? I'm struggling to find a good way to end my PS in just 12 words.

Another issue: Regarding the subjects I'm currently studying. I have talked about a few of the Maths modules and how they have helped for engineering, but I have only mentioned how Physics has helped as a whole. I didn't have enough room to go into more detail about the topics in Physics. Should I remove something elsewhere to give me more room for this?

Last issue: I'm currently in the middle of an EPQ. Should I discuss it in my statement as if I have already completed it? I'm not sure I'll have completed my EPQ by the time I send my statement off.

I've already made my points as concise as possible and every line seems relevant, yet I feel I still have so much more to add. It's gotten to the point where I have to weigh up which points look more impressive and which ones I'll have to miss out. Stresssssss.
Original post by aadil10
Main issue: After (almost) completing my 1st draft of my PS I've realised I only have 1 line to write a conclusion. How important is the conclusion? Should I remove another line to leave more room for it? I'm struggling to find a good way to end my PS in just 12 words.

You do need a conclusion. It doesn't have to be long, but 12 words isn't really feasible

Another issue: Regarding the subjects I'm currently studying. I have talked about a few of the Maths modules and how they have helped for engineering, but I have only mentioned how Physics has helped as a whole. I didn't have enough room to go into more detail about the topics in Physics. Should I remove something elsewhere to give me more room for this?

Writing about your A Levels at all is a complete waste of space. Focus on what you've done outside of your A Levels. Check out the PS builder tool (it will help you evaluate your PS) for more advice on what you can cut down/out

Last issue: I'm currently in the middle of an EPQ. Should I discuss it in my statement as if I have already completed it? I'm not sure I'll have completed my EPQ by the time I send my statement off.

I've already made my points as concise as possible and every line seems relevant, yet I feel I still have so much more to add. It's gotten to the point where I have to weigh up which points look more impressive and which ones I'll have to miss out. Stresssssss.

Don't talk about it as if you've already done it. You can talk about what you've done so far though
Reply 2
Original post by *Interrobang*

Writing about your A Levels at all is a complete waste of space. Focus on what you've done outside of your A Levels. Check out the PS builder tool (it will help you evaluate your PS) for more advice on what you can cut down/out

Oh really? That's quite surprising. Most sites/people have recommended I mention the valuable skills I have gained from my A levels and how they are useful in engineering.
Original post by aadil10
Oh really? That's quite surprising. Most sites/people have recommended I mention the valuable skills I have gained from my A levels and how they are useful in engineering.

Realistically, 95%+ of the applicants will have done physics and maths (and quite possibly further maths and/or chemistry), so talking about those doesn't differentiate you from any other candidates. The admissions tutors will know what skills and knowledge you will gain from your A Levels
I only mentioned one of my a-level subjects and didn't include a conclusion and all was fine :smile: the admissions officer reading your ps will already know how maths/physics relates to engineering, so unless you have something unique or interesting to say there's no point including them all or even including it at all if you have more important things to write about
as for your EPQ don't write about it as if you've already completed it, write about what you will do
Reply 5
Original post by *Interrobang*
Realistically, 95%+ of the applicants will have done physics and maths (and quite possibly further maths and/or chemistry), so talking about those doesn't differentiate you from any other candidates. The admissions tutors will know what skills and knowledge you will gain from your A Levels

Ahhh that's a great point, thanks! That frees up another 600 characters :h:

Quick Reply