The Student Room Group

Personal statement way over the character limit

So ive done my personal statement and Im very happy with it but its 5200 characters long :/ Ive barely wrote about my non-academic achievements so not sure where else I can cut back on words??
Reply 1
Original post by poppyrobbins
So ive done my personal statement and Im very happy with it but its 5200 characters long :/ Ive barely wrote about my non-academic achievements so not sure where else I can cut back on words??

Not to be rude, but i'd start again. Take out the snippets from the old one you particularly like the sound of for the new one.

Plan out each paragraph carefully under a heading before starting it and decide on a character limit for each section, then commence with the actual statement that way you shouldn't run out of character or lines- it was the line limit that got me when we did our PSs.

Don't stress your academic achievements too much, they're important, but a Uni is looking for someone who will engage with the whole university experience and not just someone who is 100% academic- just a small paragraph on interests is needed not loads.

If all else fails ask a teacher or a parent to proof read it. It often takes several drafts and a few pairs of eyes to really perfect a statement and make it
an outstanding one.
Original post by L33t
Not to be rude, but i'd start again. Take out the snippets from the old one you particularly like the sound of for the new one.

Plan out each paragraph carefully under a heading before starting it and decide on a character limit for each section, then commence with the actual statement that way you shouldn't run out of character or lines- it was the line limit that got me when we did our PSs.

Don't stress your academic achievements too much, they're important, but a Uni is looking for someone who will engage with the whole university experience and not just someone who is 100% academic- just a small paragraph on interests is needed not loads.

If all else fails ask a teacher or a parent to proof read it. It often takes several drafts and a few pairs of eyes to really perfect a statement and make it
an outstanding one.

thank you! yeah I probs will do a re-draft seen as I have loads of time before it will be submitted

Quick Reply

Latest