The Student Room Group

Hillary does seem to be genuinely sick... What will happen?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nulli tertius
Can the election be postponed? No. That would require a constitutional amendment.

It could, it's just unlikely and unprecedented. An unexpected death at the most inconvenient time could cause this to happen, for example.

[Yale Law School professor Akhil Reed Amar] recommends an up to four-week postponement of Election Day if a candidate dies just before voting, or even if there's a major terrorist attack.

This article explains the entire situation very well, for those interested.
Original post by macromicro
It could, it's just unlikely and unprecedented. An unexpected death at the most inconvenient time could cause this to happen, for example.

This article explains the entire situation very well, for those interested.

The Constitution provides:-

"The Congress may determine the Time of chusing [sic] the Electors, and the Day on which they shall give their Votes; which Day shall be the same throughout the United States."

That author makes the untested, and unexamined, assertion that having chosen "the Time of chusing the Electors" Congress can choose another time.
Reply 82
She is perfectly fine and has the health of a 20 year old as well as the soul and internet skills of one, fellow kids! Has a candidate ever been as revolutionary and brilliant as the first woman president (soon to be), Hillary Clinton, without feeling a bit under the weather from being so presidential all the time? My gut says she could have jogged in to that car if she wanted to, but Bill was concerned about her perfect, human feet getting hurt. Family is precious like that, and if you want America to be good to your family, cheer on Hillary! Get out of here with your talks of Donald Trump (a.k.a. Hitler 2) winning, you damn right wingers. Help Hillary, help yourself.

:h:
Original post by nulli tertius
The Constitution provides:-

"The Congress may determine the Time of chusing [sic] the Electors, and the Day on which they shall give their Votes; which Day shall be the same throughout the United States."

That author makes the untested, and unexamined, assertion that having chosen "the Time of chusing the Electors" Congress can choose another time.

Ah, I see the problem. That quote of his was actually a Slate article of his (based on a Yale article he wrote) in which he outlines what his recommendation would be if the law were changed to his solution but, like you correctly said, it does require constitutional amendment. It seems the only way Election Day could be postponed is a natural disaster or terrorist attack so incredibly severe that people are unable to vote - Hillary had best get her thinking cap on.
Original post by macromicro
It seems the only way Election Day could be postponed is a natural disaster or terrorist attack so incredibly severe that people are unable to vote - Hillary had best get her thinking cap on.

Haha inb4 she funds ISIS to plan an attack to delay Election Day and give her time for recuperation.
Original post by sound of silence
Haha inb4 she funds ISIS to plan an attack to delay Election Day and give her time for recuperation.

Though that would actually help Trump's cause, ironically.
Reply 87
It will only prevent people from voting for her.
If she wins nothing will change whether ill or healthy, since she is just a puppet mouthpiece of corporations trying to keep the status quo.
I hate Hillary with a passion. I would take 80 years of Trump over 8 of Hillary. Even if Trump turns out to be a failure, he will tear down the establishment and allow the country to be rebuilt with the needs of the people in mind.
Original post by AH127
She is perfectly fine and has the health of a 20 year old as well as the soul and internet skills of one, fellow kids! Has a candidate ever been as revolutionary and brilliant as the first woman president (soon to be), Hillary Clinton, without feeling a bit under the weather from being so presidential all the time? My gut says she could have jogged in to that car if she wanted to, but Bill was concerned about her perfect, human feet getting hurt. Family is precious like that, and if you want America to be good to your family, cheer on Hillary! Get out of here with your talks of Donald Trump (a.k.a. Hitler 2) winning, you damn right wingers. Help Hillary, help yourself.

:h:

The message we can take home from this is that the huge support she has received in the face of this untimely ill-health is due to her commitment to do the best she can not just for the party but the people who she has so greatly moved in her speeches and with her patriotism for this great country.
Original post by Aniki_
Even if Trump turns out to be a failure, he will tear down the establishment and allow the country to be rebuilt with the needs of the people in mind.

Sorry, I think you misspelled "with the needs of the Trumps in mind".
Original post by ManiaMuse
Pneumonia isn't something to be taken lightly when you are already an OAP.

My gran had it about 6 years ago and with her it basically triggered the onset of dementia which spiralled into Alzheimer's until she did earlier this year (she was generally intellectually coherent before she had pneumonia but was never the same after she left hospital for that and it only ever got worse).

Definitely not something to brush off as 'it's only a cold, I feel great!'

Plus she doesn't look like the healthiest spring chicken already, could definitely afford to lose some weight less she runs the risk of diabetes and other problems (as could Trump).

Yes, it's fairly serious, although I'm sure she has the best medical care, so presumably the prognosis is good.

The real story here is not that she's ill, but that she previously gave the impression everything was fine when clearly she's been developing something.

Candidates for very big jobs need to be terribly careful to be honest at the right moments and not the wrong ones.
Original post by Little Popcorns
I am ****ing *****ing myself. People are gonna be committing suicide all over the place

I don't actually think a Trump President would be as catastrophic as people imagine.I think if any President were to seriously think about pushing the red button or something similarly wacky, secret service people/ the CIA etc would probably have to arrange for him to have an "accident". He is just one person and a figurehead. That one person if they appeared to be unbalanced or unhinged would be removed for the safety of the country, surely. No President or Prime Minister is allowed to just do whatever the **** they want. They would have to e stopped, one way or another.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Little Popcorns
I am ****ing *****ing myself. People are gonna be committing suicide all over the place

Can't wait
Original post by KingBradly
Believe me to be whatever straw man you wish. It's not like anyone takes you seriously on here anyway, so I really couldn't care less.

evidently people do, just because you choose to hide the truth from yourself, it doesn't mean it goes away
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Yes, it's fairly serious, although I'm sure she has the best medical care, so presumably the prognosis is good.

The real story here is not that she's ill, but that she previously gave the impression everything was fine when clearly she's been developing something.

Candidates for very big jobs need to be terribly careful to be honest at the right moments and not the wrong ones.

It's a good point, but you dont know how much they knew. I'd tend to think she might have been feeling a bit under the weather cold or just fatigued, but they go with the intense campaigning. There was no benefit collpasing in public and if hey ahd known then she would have been treated a lot earlier.

Best medical care and she will get better. People will still get excited, but we always have Dodgy pirate and his mum to keep everyone informed on the latest happenings.
Original post by 999tigger
It's a good point, but you dont know how much they knew. I'd tend to think she might have been feeling a bit under the weather cold or just fatigued, but they go with the intense campaigning. There was no benefit collpasing in public and if hey ahd known then she would have been treated a lot earlier.

Best medical care and she will get better. People will still get excited, but we always have Dodgy pirate and his mum to keep everyone informed on the latest happenings.

I suspect there was some involvement from campaign managers concerned about Trump's sexist and ageist campaign on her health for her not to show that she was under the weather. It can't be easy to be struck down with such a severe condition at such a crucial moment. Presumably they thought she could persevere as it was manageable - that must seem like a very foolish piece of advice now.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I suspect there was some involvement from campaign managers concerned about Trump's sexist and ageist campaign on her health for her not to show that she was under the weather. It can't be easy to be struck down with such a severe condition at such a crucial moment. Presumably they thought she could persevere as it was manageable - that must seem like a very foolish piece of advice now.

I think if you are a workaholic, then you are used to pushing through and getting on with things. the campaign trail must be pretty draining. Its preposterous to say they knew she had pneumonia bceayse the quickets way to sort it is to get it treated early as opposed to letting her carry on incapacitate herself or die. Think its just one of those things that some people will get excited about.
Original post by Aniki_
It will only prevent people from voting for her.
If she wins nothing will change whether ill or healthy, since she is just a puppet mouthpiece of corporations trying to keep the status quo.
I hate Hillary with a passion. I would take 80 years of Trump over 8 of Hillary. Even if Trump turns out to be a failure, he will tear down the establishment and allow the country to be rebuilt with the needs of the people in mind.

That's precisely the rhetoric every successful dictatorship has made in modern Western history, i.e. that the people are under the control of the elite establishment who do not care for them. Isn't it strange how it never ends despite all the so-called revolutions?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending