Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

what is this genre called?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

the UK top 40 in 2016 has been in the genre of ``pop music``, but is there like another term for it which narrows it down to a simpler genre term? I've liked the music in the uk top 40 this year and I think its to do with the music being in a similar genre

(ok its pop music but with for example there's rock music, but there's also say classical rock music, or hip hop music which narrows a genre down so people know what they're looking for when they're after similar song choices),

so what genre does the uk top 40 fit into atm? if there's a narrower genre it would help find other songs in the same genre

thanks (sorry if i don't use the right music terms, I think genre is the right term though for song types)

Can you give me some examples?

(Original post by GUMI)
    Can you give me some examples?
    so mostly the stuff on the iTunes music Charts top 40 e.g. The Chainsmokers (most recent songs), Walk the Moon (shut up and dance), Lukas Graham (7 years/Mama Said), Dancing on my Own (Calum Scott), Reggie and Bollie (New Girl). Hold my Hand (Jess Glynne), You Don't know Love (Olly Murs), Adele (all songs), Ed Sheeran (most songs), Galantis (No Money / Peanut Butter Jelly)

I think most of these are pretty bouncy / songs to dance to
    just gone through my Spotify playlist which i'v been adding to when new songs have been released trying to find some artists I'm not really a One Direction person at all which probably isn't helping my music case :l

In this case I presume pop means popular music (which covers all genres) rather than the pop genre. The two are used interchangeably, but they're technically different things. It's all about context.

Chainsmokers - EDM
    Galantis - Big Room EDM/House
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 11, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.