The Student Room Group

Can/Do you go to random lectures?

My timetable has some big gaps and I live quite far away. Could I go to some random lectures. Does anyone else do this and would I need to ask permission?
Reply 1
Why would you want to go to random lectures?

image.jpeg
Original post by Ishax
Why would you want to go to random lectures?

image.jpeg

haha I realise it's a bit odd but honestly if you saw how meager my timetable is....
Original post by skeptical_john
haha I realise it's a bit odd but honestly if you saw how meager my timetable is....

Depends on the uni. Some let you just walk in. Some require you to scan something.
I barely go to the ones that I am timetabled for :hide:

Spoiler

Reply 5

What's your break? I have a 3 hour one on Monday so I thought I'll go eat for an hour and do window shopping. As long as you have your phone/laptop and charge time will pass by quickly. Just make sure you take your laptop with you otherwise you have no chance of surviving lol.

I know it can be a pain at first, but remember you're at university. You will get a lot of work sooner than you think, you'll be very grateful for those breaks.

In January I have 4 hour break in between lectures on two days and I'm kind of glad, as its group work. We can all meet up then, I don't have to go uni on another day as a commute.
Go for it!! We had some people bring their bfs/gfs in to their lectures, but a few did get caught out with the lecturer asking them questions, so if you do, be prepared to have some awkward silences if the lecturer does ask you anything...
Reply 7
Why don't you just do your own work or use this time to get ahead?
Technically - Yes (but you're time is probably better spent doing other things)

You could probably attend almost all other lectures if you wanted to with exception of those at capacity and those involving hazardous equipment e.g medical/engineering tutorials.

That being said you're far better of spending that time elsewhere.

- Going to the gym
- Finding some place nice to eat
- Doing some shopping
- Exploring town/campus
- Reading ahead on your OWN course or doing coursework. (You should probably do this)

Good to see you're a keen bean though. It will serve you well.
Best,

Jack
University of Buckingham Team
My timetable has some big gaps and I live quite far away. Could I go to some random lectures. Does anyone else do this and would I need to ask permission?

Hello :smile:,

It depends on the university and the course and if they just want you walking in or not - it'd be best to contact your university and see what they suggest.

However, I'd suggest you use this 'free time' to study for your course, hit the library and probably further your knowledge ahead of what is being taught in your lectures.

Best of luck :smile:

You probably can, but it isn't really advisable - why not use the timetable gaps to do some studying, either in the library or elsewhere? Lectures for other subjects, other than introductory ones, would probably be both boring and useless to you, particularly if the lecturer is developing on an existing concept to the students rather than talking about a new idea. Making use of the timetable gaps for studying would lead to a lot more free time when you do get home.
Thanks for the replies. I know its a but random but want to further my maths knowlodge. My degree is very much based on self directed study (philosophy) so it can be a nice change to learn with others.

Im commuting to uni by bicycle which is a nice 30 mile round trip so more gym on top of that could finish me!
Why on earth would you wnat to do this?

Why no go to the library and do some work or the bar for a drink or cafeteria for something to eat? Its a very bizarre behaviour. Its unlikely youd be caught or thrown out, but its just strange.
Stick to your own lectures and if you're really passionate about another subject try and pick it up in second/ third year if your course allows you to pick modules from other departments 😎
Reply 14

It's generally seen as polite to email the lecturer in advance to ask, but unless it's held in a room which can't accommodate extra students, I've never know permission to be refused. It's actually viewed as being very positive that you're enthusiastic and keen to learn. Could do your eventual job reference a lot of good. Don't let your coursework or reading suffer though.
Thanks for the replies. I know its a but random but want to further my maths knowlodge. My degree is very much based on self directed study (philosophy) so it can be a nice change to learn with others.

Im commuting to uni by bicycle which is a nice 30 mile round trip so more gym on top of that could finish me!

I was hoping to drop into other lectures too, but everyone seems to be quite negative about it :frown: It would have been nice to get even one or two glimpses into how other subjects are taught in lectures.
The insight could broaden the mind and allow one to research into topics beyond one's degree - expand your knowledge!
Reply 16
You could always see about getting a part-time job during some of those hours? Would give you extra money to spend during your other free time.
Reply 17
Original post by Ichiko N.A.B.
I was hoping to drop into other lectures too, but everyone seems to be quite negative about it :frown: It would have been nice to get even one or two glimpses into how other subjects are taught in lectures.
The insight could broaden the mind and allow one to research into topics beyond one's degree - expand your knowledge!

Does it really matter what other people think, if you're that keen? It's possible to do it and easy enough to ask. If you're interested, just do it.
...so it can be a nice change to learn with others.

You fancy someone on the maths course, don't you?
Original post by Klix88
Does it really matter what other people think, if you're that keen? It's possible to do it and easy enough to ask. If you're interested, just do it.

Thanks for the encouragement, I will just have to make sure I keep up with my own studies if I drop in on other degrees' lectures.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending