The Student Room Group

medicine gap year and as resits

hi

so I retsat my as year and got BCD in bio, chem, history, obvs not good enough for medicine. however with the course im doing I take my as and alevel exams at the end of next year. Im thinking if I get 3A's (which I know im capable of) could I take a gap year and gain loads of experience and volunteer then apply to medicine? the reason I got not so good grades was because of several teacher changes, not having being taught the whole courses and my own bad study habits.

I just want to know other peoples thoughts on this situation. thanks:smile:
Reply 1
Original post by sunnyflowers
hi

so I retsat my as year and got BCD in bio, chem, history, obvs not good enough for medicine. however with the course im doing I take my as and alevel exams at the end of next year. Im thinking if I get 3A's (which I know im capable of) could I take a gap year and gain loads of experience and volunteer then apply to medicine? the reason I got not so good grades was because of several teacher changes, not having being taught the whole courses and my own bad study habits.

I just want to know other peoples thoughts on this situation. thanks:smile:

Unfortunately, most medical schools don't accept candidates who have resat a year of their A-levels. They must be completed in two years from start. Unless you have extenuating circumstances and even then only a few allow that.

Your best option would be to do an alternative degree like biomed and apply for medicine as a graduate
there are quite a few unis im sure eg lancaster, liverpool, exeter and Plymouth, Brighton, EUA who allow resits. will the gap year not put me at an advantage of having a lot of experience? there are also the foundation courses I could try. I feel like the graduate path is too expensive and long!
Reply 3
Liverpool:

Applications from candidates resitting advance level examinations may be considered if the applicant otherwise meets the GSCE criteria (as above). Applicants must acknowledge and reflect on their need to resit in the personal statement. Any mitigating circumstances should be noted in the personal statement and as appropriate in the academic reference. If an offer is made resit applicants might expect it to be higher than typical (i.e. minimum of A*AA)

Brighton:

Yes, but only if you have dropped in one grade for one subject i.e. achieved AAB, A*AB at your first attempt. You will need to be predicted an A grade in the subject you originally achieved a B in. If you have achieved anything lower, it is recommended that you apply after you have completed your re-sits and met our entry requirements. Alternatively, you could apply as a graduate, when you are in your final year of a relevant bioscience degree, as long as you are predicted a 2:1.If you have dropped more than one grade in one subject, or dropped one grade in more than one subject and believe that you have clear and strong mitigating circumstances, you may ask us to consider your application on exceptional grounds; however you will still need to be predicted or need to have achieved our entry requirements. If we accept your mitigation we will require formal evidence to support your claim. Please contact [email protected] in advance of an application to discuss your circumstances.

Lancaster:

This includes those who have retaken their AS year, resat their A-levels or taken additional subjects at A-level after year 13. All AS and A2- level qualifications must be grade C or above, regardless of mitigating circumstances. Applicants must acknowledge and reflect on their individual circumstances (need to re-take year 12, need to resit A-levels etc) in their personal statement. Applicants who have taken longer than 3 years to achieve the required grades will not be considered.

Plymouth:

Did consider retakes but I'm not sure anymore. They may have changed their policies so you'd have to email them. But when they did, you had to have achieved ABB first anyway.

It is worth discussing this again with that list of med schools you have as you're resitting your AS year. But still, I don't think you'd be eligible for the ones I've listed above (Liverpool maybe if you get above AAA). I'm not sure about the other ones though.

Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending