The Student Room Group
Reply 1
2.) Let A be an event that a person’s primary method of transportation to and from work is an automobile and B be an event that a persons primary method of transportation to and from work is a bus. Suppose that in a large city P(A) = 0.45 and P(B) = 0.35

A.) Are events A and B mutually exclusive ?

Which is the correct answer True or False
B.) What is the probability that a person uses an automobile or a bus in going to and from work ?

Which is the correct answer a(.35), b(.65), c(.8), d(1.0) 0.35+0.45=0.8

C.) Find the probability that a person’s primary method of transportation is some means other than a bus ?

Which is the correct answer a(.35), b(.650, c(.8), d(1.0) 1-0.35=0.65
Reply 2
I'm not great at probability but I will have a go. I don't know what level you are at so sorry if i patronise you.
2.) Let A be an event that a person’s primary method of transportation to and from work is an automobile and B be an event that a persons primary method of transportation to and from work is a bus. Suppose that in a large city P(A) = 0.45 and P(B) = 0.35

B.) What is the probability that a person uses an automobile or a bus in going to and from work ?

Which is the correct answer a(.35), b(.65), c(.8), d(1.0)

Ok if the word OR is in the question basically just add the probabilities. So 0.45+0.35=0.8. Easy.

C.) Find the probability that a person’s primary method of transportation is some means other than a bus ?

Which is the correct answer a(.35), b(.65), c(.8), d(1.0)

So the probability of it being a bus is 0.35, so you take this away from 1 (certainity) to find the probability. 1-0.35=0.65

Hope I have explained it ok for you.
Reply 3
Louise_1988
A.) Are events A and B mutually exclusive ?

Which is the correct answer True or False (not sure can't remember, but i think true because one doesn't have to happen for the other two)

They are mutually exclusive because if A occurs, then B cannot also occur (a person cannot have both an automobile and a bus as their primary transport).

Latest