The Student Room Group

Is religion declining in Britain?

Do you agree religion is declining in Britain?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Depends which religion you're asking about. Christianity, yes. Islam, on the other hand, seems to be booming. Wasn't there one year recently where the most popular boys' name/most registered boys' name in the UK (or maybe just London, but still) was Mohammed? :dontknow:
No.
Reply 3
I was mainly asking to see people views, not a definitive answer aha. I should have been more clear, whoops! :h: (Edited OP)
Reply 4
Hopefully it won't be too long until Islam becomes the dominant religion/political movement.
I see religion declining in the short run but it isn't necessarily for the better as those that leave religion often pick another superstition to distract them from their mortality. Another thing to factor in is that the non-religious through their "duty" to be more considerate of the environment and the resources available on the planet, tend to have fewer children- the converse can be said of the religious. In the long run I see the religious demographic increase, unfortunately it won't be the increase in the more tolerant form of religion either.
Reply 6
Unfortunately yes, and it's a darn shame how many people are just laughing off the thought of religion when that used to be the bedrock of our nation.
Original post by Scott.
Hopefully it won't be too long until Islam becomes the dominant religion/political movement.

Hopefully that will never happen, while I don't care what others believe in as long as it doesn't affect me political islam and shariah law is a horrid ideology, and if islam becomes dominant I won't be able to get a Bacon sandwich.
Original post by The Byrd
Unfortunately yes, and it's a darn shame how many people are just laughing off the thought of religion when that used to be the bedrock of our nation.

religion is a joke though, it's difficult not to laugh at a group of ideologies which worship some supreme "being" in the sky lmao
Original post by ollie1024
Do you agree religion is declining in Britain?

Yes it is
Original post by george_c00per
religion is a joke though, it's difficult not to laugh at a group of ideologies which worship some supreme "being" in the sky lmao

Nor is it difficult to laugh at a group of ideologies which is based off air in rocks.
Reply 11
I argue religion is not declining but simply changing as society develops, taking a more privatised form.
Nor is it difficult to laugh at a group of ideologies which is based off air in rocks.

If you're referring to science, well, the backbone of science is that it can be proven and measured.
Stupid people breed faster.
Original post by Cremated_Spatula

Savage :biggrin:
Original post by Cremated_Spatula

So true
Unfortunately it seems to be trendy amongst hippie liberals to completely denounce Christianity and everything it stands for - we all know Islam is their religion of choice.

Hopefully with Britain becoming more and more conservative we'll revert back to being a proper Christian country again, and the first step in doing this is to secure our borders and tackle immigration head-on.
Reply 17
Original post by #ChaosKass
Unfortunately it seems to be trendy amongst hippie liberals to completely denounce Christianity and everything it stands for - we all know Islam is their religion of choice.

Hopefully with Britain becoming more and more conservative we'll revert back to being a proper Christian country again, and the first step in doing this is to secure our borders and tackle immigration head-on.

Daily Mail reader I presume?

So much horses*It :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mactotaur
If you're referring to science, well, the backbone of science is that it can be proven and measured.

Ummmm.... I don't know what you've been told but whatever it is, it's wrong. Science cannot be proven and that's why it's all referred to as theory.
Reply 19
Ummmm.... I don't know what you've been told but whatever it is, it's wrong. Science cannot be proven and that's why it's all referred to as theory.

Wow. Just wow.

This could well be trolling, or it could just be you being totally oblivious.

Theory in science does not have the same, lay meaning as it does in philosophical terms. In science it refers to a well formulated basis which has been tested repeatedly and successfully. It may later be proven wrong, but even then it would have to pass thorough, exhaustive research and testing.
It doesn't mean supporting a thesis on the basis of logical or moral arguments alone - that would be religion in fact.

And then you wonder why religions are mocked for being backwards. When they have people like you represent them, it's an one way deal to be honest.

And in any case, you disregard science because you think it cannot be proven - what makes religion better in that regard? What is it that convinces you it's real? Nothing to do with how you grew up eh? :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest