Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Smart Assessor Assessor - any experiences, re: teacher training?

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

I'm thinking of doing a level four certificate in education and training (CET). I'm a middle aged long term drifter (no point beating about the bush). I finished an OU degree in psychology in 2014 and volunteered as an esl teacher. I went on to do a celta but didn't find suitable work, but then inherited some money so I came back to full time volunteering (abroad).

Last time I was at the careers office they suggested I do CET. They said use BBE training but the woman I was speaking to was linked to it. It's about 800.00 there. I contacted them and they said I can do it abroad where I'm currently volunteering.

Then I found The Smart Assessor on hotcourses. It is 500.00 but they keep spamming me it's on sale at 450.00. I phoned them and was told 500.00 including discount. I can do it abroad. But I can't find any reviews of this company. They send a lot of marketing emails. There's another company called 'Big Teacher', that sells the same thing at a higher price, but has the same phone number. I'm hoping to find someone who studied with Smart Assessor who can tell me what the long term experience was like, support, how the software works etc.

I'd like SET as it's a teaching credential and put's me above the standard CELTA for teaching English. I need the edge as, in Asia, my age and race (I'm dark-skinned) work against me. I'd also be interested getting into IELTS examination roles etc. or perhaps university work in China, and again, I need to stand out a little from the youngsers I'm competing with!

Thanks for any heads up.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 12, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.