Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Should Sports Be Compulsory At School?

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

Most schools like mine make sports compulsory, but i believe that is a relatively unnecessary rule to put in place, at least for people doing A-Levels. Yes in general sport does promote fitness physically, socially and psychologically but that's not the only way to achieve it. I could exercise in my room on a daily basis and build my self up physically, i can play a video game online (like call of duty) with friends or random people to build my social skills, i could meditate or write stuff up in a journal to boost my mental fitness. Most people i meet have this myopic view that the only way to achieve soft skills like teamwork, communication etc can only be gained through sport activities but they couldn't be more wrong, If i need to use the gym i'll sign up and go do it as simple as that there is no need for such a rule. I'm not saying that this rule should be completely abolished, i think it is based on the school environment. For example, at least 78% of people in my class do a sport activity out of their own volition but in the younger grades most people don't want to and most of them don't do any personal exercise, so making sports compulsory for them should be necessary, but for the older year groups it should be optional as people actually do sports because they want to not because of some rule. Thoughts?
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 12, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.