Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bullying culture at work- mental health declining

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

I've been in my current job 6 months, and in that space of time, I have gone from being moderately able to cope with life to feeling out of control, helpless and on edge 24/7 not enjoying life etc.

It's worth noting I've had a long string of problems prior to my employment, including anxiety and depression which I sought private therapy for, on my own terms. It was at the point that I felt better that I moved away and took this job.

The workers and my boss were lovely on first impression, very jolly and happy. It did seem too good to be true, probably should've known.

Things quickly took a nose dive; I'm constantly criticised, bickered about (sometimes I can be around the corner and can hear) so much so that it feels like I'm a ghost and I actually have to question am I hearing what I'm hearing.

Sometimes I'm outrightwardly criticised and made to feel incompetent, but most of the times it's done under my nose, but so that I can hear it, and that is worse. While when I come back round corner it's like they never said it, and they act super nice to me.

Management, and my boss herself are bullies, and the team below her; shift managers, runners and trainers are all very much on the same page. In fact, it's like mobbing really- the way they pick and target me. I'm like the target of running commentary within their circle, and they seem to be selective about the tasks I'm allocated. Giving me the tasks that are out of the way to make me feel less valued or whatever.

It's the sly jokes, and banter about my performance between them that belittles me and undermines my performance even more. It really is destroying my self worth and I know HR or Upper Management won't do anything, you can tell by how they all communicate, they are like friends.

On top of this, I'm actually disabled and while I'm not immobile I'm not as strong as others and lifting things can be a struggle. Nobody helps me out, and I struggle and get embarrassed and sometimes certain people just sit stare.

It all happens so subtly that it's like woven into the culture as its a big fast food firm and it's very hierarchical with a lot of brownnosing.

I suppose it's all very immature of them, they aren't the sort of people I associate with and I'm intelligent and capable, I have a degree and I'm hoping and praying I can get out soon.

I'm not a confrontational person, and while I ain't the fastest and I may not be the most competent person, I am polite and there is no need for this treatment. *

I cry sometimes night before I go back to work *and I'm also on medication now, and had referral for counselling. It's just a waiting game.

What can I do guys?*

find another job asap

knowing you're on your way out of a toxic environment can make that last month or so a bit easier so for now concentrate on getting literally anything which will pay the bills so you can leave
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 16, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather be able to
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.