Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Article: Will your long distance relationship last?

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad course - waste of time? 17-10-2016

In a relationship but far apart or at different unis? We spoke to a relationship pro and they helped us put together top tips for staying together:

(Original post by TSR)
    apps to keep long distance couples in touch like Avocado which lets you send virtual hugs to each other
    How.. cute?

(Original post by TSR)
    It also lets you know when your other half’s battery is about to die so there is no need to get paranoid
    Actually quite a good innovation, albeit that if you're really so paranoid as to freak back if you don't hear back from your partner within mins/hours then, I'm afraid, you are simply not cut out for an LDR

(Original post by TSR)
    those in LDRs were more likely to use social media but often did so to gauge their partner’s involvement and reported higher levels of jealousy
    We live in the age we do. Feminism + technology mean that checking up is inevitable. Even I would do it and I'm just about as narcissistic/secure/stoical a cat as you can get

(Original post by TSR)
    share things with them that might get misinterpreted if you were to send them by text
    This is near the top of my list of pro-tips. I've never had a full blown argument, ever, with a girl in person (I'm masculine/firm, but fair, and females respond positively [somewhat deferentially/submissively] to these qualities). When it comes to virtual communication, and text-based in particular, however, there's more space for miscommunication/misinterpretation and callous/disrespectful behaviour (I've had a fair few arguments that got blown out of all proportion via such mediums)

(Original post by TSR)
    try to tackle any feelings of jealous that arise by being honest and open with each other
    Furthermore, before entering any relationship/making a fundamental change, always try to communicate, from the outset, what your wants/needs are, and agree policy ex ante. Don’t leave it until you’re at distance to tell someone what you expect of them, have things squared beforehand so uncertainty is minimised. This may even include spelling out what the boundaries are with respect to cheating, and promising each other to be candid about any related indiscretions as well as underlining the vital importance of this in terms of sexual health. If either one of you are not sufficiently empathetic/mature to have such a slightly awkward conversation then, again, you really ought to consider whether an adult LDR is appropriate/workable

(Original post by TSR)
    try not to jump to conclusions if you see (probably innocent) pictures on social media!
    Equally, don’t get mugged off, and again make it clear what you expect to see from your partner – their social media image can impact on your psychosocial well-being too, and they ought to show reasonable sensitivity in respect of this

(Original post by TSR)
    What better way to keep the relationship alive than by surprising your partner when they least expect it?
    Just don’t do this around important exams, for God’s sake!

For some reason it posted my comment twice. Please delete one or other comment, as I can't seem to myself. Ta

Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 12, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you want to know what your pet is thinking about you?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.