The Student Room Group

Laptop or MacBook?

Hey there

I'm about to start a MA in Jounalism and I'm in need of a new computer as my 6 year old desktop (Windows 7) is on its last legs, and I need something more portable anyway.

I was wondering if it would be better to get a Windows laptop or a MacBook. In asking as I've tried Windows 10 and don't like it, or do you think I'd get used to it? Or should I just get a Mac? As a lot of journalists seem to use them?

I have my induction on Thursday, so do you think I could ask then as lectures aren't for another week?

Original post by Jack22031994
Hey there

I'm about to start a MA in Jounalism and I'm in need of a new computer as my 6 year old desktop (Windows 7) is on its last legs, and I need something more portable anyway.

I was wondering if it would be better to get a Windows laptop or a MacBook. In asking as I've tried Windows 10 and don't like it, or do you think I'd get used to it? Or should I just get a Mac? As a lot of journalists seem to use them?

I have my induction on Thursday, so do you think I could ask then as lectures aren't for another week?

MacBooks are very convenient, i have one, they are light and all that jaz however i recommend getting a windows computer with twice the specs for half of the price to be honest.
I had a Windows ACER Laptop for about 6 years and it was terrible, overheated, crashing, had to reset it three separate times and it wasn't that great. Since I got my Macbook Pro in 2014, I've never been happier. This laptop still feels brand new even though its technically two years old.
Original post by Squishy•
MacBooks are very convenient, i have one, they are light and all that jaz however i recommend getting a windows computer with twice the specs for half of the price to be honest.

Yeah that is the thing edging me to stick with a Windows machine. Do you think a Lenovo IdeaPad 510 would be good? Currys have them at £350 at the moment which is a lot cheaper than the nearest MacBook and does seem to have better specs by quite a bit.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-510-15-6-laptop-black-10146128-pdt.html?gclid=CJPyv-XclM8CFcQV0wodUWMEAg&srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~~~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&s_kwcid=AL!3391!3!105916003459!!!g!56816632578!&device=m&istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istItemId=xtmmpiqllp&istBid=tztx&PLA=1&ef_id=V2yECAAABLdf4HCL:20160916202805:s

I'm not the best with computer speak and I don't trust computer salesman, so help is much appreciated.:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by alevelstresss
I had a Windows ACER Laptop for about 6 years and it was terrible, overheated, crashing, had to reset it three separate times and it wasn't that great. Since I got my Macbook Pro in 2014, I've never been happier. This laptop still feels brand new even though its technically two years old.

I've neve heard complaints about Apple either :smile: My sister and girlfriend both have one. I don't know if I can justify spending more for lower specs though :/
My Windows desktop is 6 years old and still going although it was £800 in 2010 and my grandmas Windows has never had a problem.
MacBook!!
I've had two windows for the past 7 years, they eventually do slow down.
I recently got a MacBook, best decision ever!
You won't regret it!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey there

If you are only after portability and not wanting a heavy duty laptop (eg design, graphics..etc) then why not go for a surface pro that wont cost as much and would do all your needs.
Reply 7
I was windows all my life (about 19 years now). Desktop after desktop, laptop after laptop and I decided to go Macbook a year ago... best choice I ever made. The price was off-putting... but with discount I bit my lip and bared it.

Still runs like the first day I turned it on. I have never had any issues with it, turn it on and works like a dream.

Granted, you do get more spec for your buck with windows, but apple appears to be built to last.
Thanks everyone :smile:

I've now decided to get a Mcbook Air but not sure whether to go for the 11 or 13 inch?

#firstworldproblems I know :lol:
for me i'll always stick to windows laptops...better specs and you cant play half the games i like on mac ;(
I am now typing this from my brand new MacBook Air :smile: and I love it :smile:

Thanks for the advice everyone :smile:
Thanks everyone :smile:

I've now decided to get a Mcbook Air but not sure whether to go for the 11 or 13 inch?

#firstworldproblems I know :lol:

13 definitely.

Quick Reply

Latest