The Student Room Group

Can I do FP2 and/or FP3 for AS further maths

(I'm doing AQA FM) So would an arrangement like: FP1, FP2(or FP3) and M2 be possible for an AS in FM?
What modules are you already doing for regular AS maths? It depends on a) module prerequisites (for instance, FP2 and 3 are completely independent but both reliant on 1) and b) specific requirements in terms of the number of pure and applied modules you need to do for each stage.

However, I did Edexcel so I'm not sure how these specific requirements are for AQA. The principle will be the same, but details should be available on the official course overview documents.
Reply 2
From the AQA specification:

The Advanced Subsidiary (AS) award comprises three units chosen from the full suite of units in this specification, except that the Core units cannot be included. One unit must be chosen from MFP1, MFP2, MFP3 and MFP4. All three units can be at AS standard; for example, MFP1, MM1B and MS1A could be chosen. All three units can be in Pure Mathematics; for example, MFP1, MFP2 and MFP4 could be chosen.

My results slip shows that I did MFP1, MFP2 and MM1B for my AS Further Maths (AQA) and MFP4, MD01 and MM2B for my A2 Further Maths (AQA).

The specification basically says that you can do any three modules for AS FM, as long as at least one of them is a Further Pure module.

However, if you're doing MM2B, you'll need to have at least studied MM1B beforehand - the specification states, for MM2B, "a knowledge of the topics and associated formulae from Mechanics 1 is required".

In summary: MFP1, MFP2 and MFP3 would be fine for AS, as would MFP1, MFP2 and MM2B (as long as you've studied MM1B).
Reply 3
Original post by Flame Alchemist
What modules are you already doing for regular AS maths? It depends on a) module prerequisites (for instance, FP2 and 3 are completely independent but both reliant on 1) and b) specific requirements in terms of the number of pure and applied modules you need to do for each stage.

However, I did Edexcel so I'm not sure how these specific requirements are for AQA. The principle will be the same, but details should be available on the official course overview documents.

I did C1 C2 and M1 in year 12 for AS maths
Reply 4
Original post by robzwolf
From the AQA specification:

My results slip shows that I did MFP1, MFP2 and MM1B for my AS Further Maths (AQA) and MFP4, MD01 and MM2B for my A2 Further Maths (AQA).

The specification basically says that you can do any three modules for AS FM, as long as at least one of them is a Further Pure module.

However, if you're doing MM2B, you'll need to have at least studied MM1B beforehand - the specification states, for MM2B, "a knowledge of the topics and associated formulae from Mechanics 1 is required".

In summary: MFP1, MFP2 and MFP3 would be fine for AS, as would MFP1, MFP2 and MM2B (as long as you've studied MM1B).

I sat my M1 and FP1 exams last year so I think sitting M2 this year will be fine. I'm self teaching AS FM (Possibly the entire A level-but it's very unlikely) and I don't want to have to sit 'boring' AS modules like D1 and S1 for my AS FM, I want to take more pure modules. Thank you for making that clear!
Reply 5
It could but there are easier options.
Reply 6
Original post by Compost
It could but there are easier options.

What are the easier options? i'm interested to hear about your experience
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest