The Student Room Group

Join RAF as Airman or Officer?

I just sat my AST today and achieved in the mid 90's. I was originally applying for the PTI role but the corporal I spoke to following the test suggested I look at other trades. The intelligence roles interest me the most and I feel like I just went for PTI due to me just getting my degree in Sport Science and thought it was most suited to me. So now I am considering the Intelligence analyst and Officer roles. If I went in just as an Airman how likely would I be to gain a commission and how soon could I gain it? And am I being stupid not just going for Officer straight away considering I have my degree? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
Reply 1
Original post by nick9195
If I went in just as an Airman how likely would I be to gain a commission and how soon could I gain it?

It's possible, but not that common and harder than direct officer entry, especially within Int.

The soonest you could possibly look at commissioning after joining as an airman is 5 years*, though realistically it would be 6 or 7, if at all - it's by no means certain.

If you want officer, look at all it entails, it's not just a step up, there's a different expectation on the position.

*Ok, not a strict limit, it is possible earlier, but the various hoops you have to go through to qualify mean that it's very unlikely to happen earlier.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply. I opted to apply as an intel officer in the end. Got my CBAT next Wednesday, any pointers for preparation other than practicing my mental arithmetic and SDT calculations?
Reply 3
Original post by nick9195
Thanks for the reply. I opted to apply as an intel officer in the end. Got my CBAT next Wednesday, any pointers for preparation other than practicing my mental arithmetic and SDT calculations?

Only main pointer is that in the RAF it's Int, never Intel.

And no, you'll find people here who've written about it and who swear that certain websites or books have helped, but it's a test of innate ability. Brush up on your mental arithmetic and you should be ok.
I originally went for IntO back in 2014. I failed at CBAT. Although I have since heard from people within that they have changed it and simplified it a little more then what it was.
As an officer you will be less hands on in terms of the analysis and certain bits of it. But it is definitely one of the best trades to go in for. Good luck on CBAT

I chose to go in normally as an IntAn and can safely say i have made the right choice. It such an interesting trade to go for.
Reply 5
Thanks for the reply. Yeah it seems like it will be a really interesting and diverse role, very excited to go through the process now. Maybe I'll see you soon if all goes well. Thanks for the info!
Original post by Drewski
Only main pointer is that in the RAF it's Int, never Intel.

Recon is one that always bugs me. We're British, it's recce.

Although, we were of the opinion in my battalion that recce were called that because they were always wrecked.
Reply 7
Hey Nick me having spoken to different airmen they all say it's extremely difficult to get commission from being an airman unless you have the correct grades (that being 5 GCSEs C-A and two A-levels again C-A). But even still you have to do a minimum 3-4 years as an airmen before you can even consider applying and then your CO has to put in a commendation. I know many officers who trained like you and still decided to get the commission and go in as say intelligence officer, pilot or even RAF Regimental officer

Quick Reply

Latest