The Student Room Group

percentages without a calculator

hi,

So I have been practicing my QTS maths exams, and have come across percentages without a calculator a lot recently.
One of my questions is, ' 38 is the highest mark in the exam, out of a possible 40. What is this as a percentage?' I cannot seem to work this out or even quick enough for that matter!!
any please help me out!!
Original post by bbailey527
hi,

So I have been practicing my QTS maths exams, and have come across percentages without a calculator a lot recently.
One of my questions is, ' 38 is the highest mark in the exam, out of a possible 40. What is this as a percentage?' I cannot seem to work this out or even quick enough for that matter!!
any please help me out!!

38/40 =0.95
0.95*100=95
Answer = 95%
well to make a percentage try and get it to be /100

what do you multiple 40 by to equal 100

so 40 * a number = 100

after you figure out this number multiple this number by 38 and this will be the equivalent
hi,

any please help me out!!

You'd start by simplifying it as much as you can to 19/20 (and then you can divide by 2 to get 9.5/10 which you'd multiply by 100 to get 95%, or you can take 19/20 and multiply it by 5 to get 95/100, which is 95%)
Reply 4
hi,

any please help me out!!

As a fraction, this gives 38/40.
To work this out as a percentage, you must divide the two and then multiply by 100.
In order to make the division simpler, simplify the fraction (you can halve both the numerator and denominator), then just divide as usual using a method you know (the bus stop method is the one I always use).

Edit: The above comments work just as well; you have many different methods to choose from!
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest