Getting into Oxbridge for Postgraduate Study

Scroll to see replies

Oxford don't do PhDs.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by Maker
Oxford don't do PhDs.

No, no they don't. And I'm not doing a PhD at Cambridge, either. But by the time you've typed out 'doctoral study' a million times, then someone's asked what a doctorate that isn't a PhD is, and you've explained, sometimes it's just easier to use the term PhD as a shortcut.
Original post by Jantaculum
I have an undergrad degree that didn't meet Cambridge's expectations for my course (although that was over 25 years ago and in a different subject to my postgrad so fairly irrelevant), a recent part-time Masters with straight distinctions, loads of relevant practical experience…. and I'm now doing a doctorate at Cambridge.

So there is a similarity in our stories and I had your concerns two years ago.

I'd suggest you find a point of contact at Oxford - probably the postgrad admissions secretary for the department - and set out your question and supporting evidence so far. Like I said before, they're likely to consider every factor of an application, not just one. But do expect the answer 'well we can't tell yet - put in a full application and we'll consider overlooking the 2.1 IF all other aspects are very strong'

My feeling is that it's worth a try, especially with your interesting practical experience

Cambridge says they accept a 2.1 all other things considered but there is a particular person at Oxford that I would ask to supervise and idk I just prefer Oxford even though I imagine Cambridge is actually stronger for law. I agree with you that they'll probably just give that answer which is why I was hoping maybe someone on here would've had a similar experience, whether negative or positive, that would help me decide. Your experience is reassuring in some ways but even Oxford says without the relevant undergrad degree they will accept a distinction in master's so it sounds like you would've been ok whichever way you read it...I have the relevant undergrad, I just didn't do as well as I could have done due to a number of factors that I don't care to list.

I think if I get distinctions I will give it a go. Straight distinctions is impressive and is what I'm aiming for - any tips? :tongue:
I am currently in my final year at university and in the process of applying for an MPhil.

I was just wondering, when do potential funders decide that they have chosen you? Do they wait until you inform them of your final grade or do they assess you based on what you have already achieved? For example, I am applying to Oxbridge now but wonder at what point they decide whether I am suitable for funding or not. Is it when I inform them of my final results or is it allocated much earlier than that, based on results so far and predictions?

Thank you guys!

Good luck with your applications x
Sorry OP, I'm not sure when funding offers are made...but for the ones that you're automatically considered for when you apply to Oxford, I think you are notified at the same time as you get your offer (if university funding) or your college offer (if college funding). I would be surprised if it depend on future results...

Asking for letters of recommendations was sooo awkward, but all 3 of my lecturers said yes and to send on some information about deadlines, etc. and they would take care of it :smile: Kinda surprised as I thought they'd ask me to write for them but I think it's probably better!!
Quick question, and it probably has been answered somewhere here before, but I've got more important things to do (re:too lazy,lol).

I've got a somewhat high 2.1 (Mid-Tier Uni) in Electrical Engineering and I've just finished an MSc in Informatics at the University of Edinburgh. I just missed getting a distinction and would have easily gotten it easily if I didn't choose some pretty intense Machine Learning courses (marks were around 50 each). My final percent was 68%, with a distinction (75%) in my dissertation.

Now does my MSc in anyway help me get into Oxbridge for another Masters? I loved my informatics degree, but now I was to get out of theory and maybe even do some Economics or Applied Statistics.

Both Oxford/Cambridge state the entry requirements as a high 2.1, which I've got.

However, does the MSc push me up? I've read somewhere before, that it does, but unfortunately I've emailed both Oxford/Cambridge recently and haven't gotten a reply.
Hi, I'm also going to be asking for references soon, for master's programmes, I graduated from my UG degree in July. Can I ask why you found it awkward? Surely it's something the lecturers are used to doing?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2047
Original post by DreamByDay
Sorry OP, I'm not sure when funding offers are made...but for the ones that you're automatically considered for when you apply to Oxford, I think you are notified at the same time as you get your offer (if university funding) or your college offer (if college funding). I would be surprised if it depend on future results...

Asking for letters of recommendations was sooo awkward, but all 3 of my lecturers said yes and to send on some information about deadlines, etc. and they would take care of it :smile: Kinda surprised as I thought they'd ask me to write for them but I think it's probably better!!

I'm also curious as to why it was awkward, but even more so as to why you thought you'd be asked to write your own letter of recommendation for an academic to sign???
Reply 2048

Funding news arrives later than your uni offer (whether conditional or 'secured'). You will received the latter in March/April, whilst funding offers are made in May (in the Humanities). College offers arrives in late May/June. The whole process is very loooooong.

Original post by sj27
I'm also curious as to why it was awkward, but even more so as to why you thought you'd be asked to write your own letter of recommendation for an academic to sign???

It's not really in French culture to write recommendation letters, and many lecturers can't write in English.
In reply to the recommendation letters comments: I was told by countless people that usually lecturers ask you to write it yourself and then they sign it (maybe it's culture-specific from where I'm from though) - I was feeling really awkward about the whole thing because of this. But then it all turned out all right since indeed they all intend to write the letters themselves :smile:
Reply 2050
In reply to the recommendation letters comments: I was told by countless people that usually lecturers ask you to write it yourself and then they sign it (maybe it's culture-specific from where I'm from though) - I was feeling really awkward about the whole thing because of this. But then it all turned out all right since indeed they all intend to write the letters themselves :smile:

I had to translate two of the three letters.
Reply 2051
Translate is one thing.
Write your own references for Oxford or Cambridge is another :erm:
I didn't mean any disrespect, if that's what you're getting at....?

Not every school/country has the same traditions as Oxford or Cambridge and it's common in some places that the professor won't see why he should take the time to help a 'measly' undergrad student - a signature at the bottom of your own letter can be the most you'll get.
Original post by sj27
Translate is one thing.
Write your own references for Oxford or Cambridge is another :erm:

This is actually pretty common. In fact, I've heard of people at Oxford/Cambridge whose supervisors have done the same thing (i.e. asked them to write a letter that they'd then go on to sign).
Good to know, I was starting to think maybe my university/area just has horrible recommendation practices :/ (I do think letters written by the referee are much better ethically and in terms of your chances of getting in - IMO it would be pretty obvious if I had written the letter myself...)
Reply 2055
Original post by llacerta
This is actually pretty common. In fact, I've heard of people at Oxford/Cambridge whose supervisors have done the same thing (i.e. asked them to write a letter that they'd then go on to sign).

Makes the whole concept of references pretty pointless then. Pretty risky on the academic's part too. Do you personally know anyone at ox/cam who said this has happened to them? Or just "heard" of them ?

There are definitely certain departments at Cam you can't do references like this for, for example one asks how the student compares to both his/her current cohort and past ones. It's not a case of "writing a letter".
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2056
Good to know, I was starting to think maybe my university/area just has horrible recommendation practices :/ (I do think letters written by the referee are much better ethically and in terms of your chances of getting in - IMO it would be pretty obvious if I had written the letter myself...)

I would think it's generally pretty obvious when a student has written the reference him/herself. Especially compared to references written by academics who have years of experience doing this and know how to do it/what is important to mention, etc. Which is why this idea that it is 'common' doesn't sound right to me, especially given how important references are supposed to be.

And I've certainly never come across an academic personally who has even remotely suggested that. In fact the default on mine so far seems to be to take the usual request to bypass the student entirely (eg by getting the academic to submit directly to the university) to heart - I've never even seen any of the references written for me.
(edited 8 years ago)
I've heard some people on here talk about 'rolling acceptances' i.e. certain subjects accepting or rejecting applicants as they come rather than getting back to everyone at the same time/ after the January deadline.

Does anyone know if the subject of history operates via rolling acceptances at either Oxford or Cambridge?

Many thanks
Original post by sj27
Makes the whole concept of references pretty pointless then. Pretty risky on the academic's part too. Do you personally know anyone at ox/cam who said this has happened to them? Or just "heard" of them ?

There are definitely certain departments at Cam you can't do references like this for, for example one asks how the student compares to both his/her current cohort and past ones. It's not a case of "writing a letter".

If I had any doubt on the veracity of what I was saying, I probably wouldn't have said it. So yes, I personally know multiple people at Oxford and Cambridge (more at Oxford, only because I know more people at Oxford generally) who have been asked to do this by their supervisors. However, this has not been the case with my own supervisors (just to clarify).
Reply 2059
Original post by llacerta
If I had any doubt on the veracity of what I was saying, I probably wouldn't have said it. So yes, I personally know multiple people at Oxford and Cambridge (more at Oxford, only because I know more people at Oxford generally) who have been asked to do this by their supervisors. However, this has not been the case with my own supervisors (just to clarify).

Right, so after previously just having "heard of", you now "personally know" "multiple people" at Oxford who've written their own references?
I'm guessing if pushed, none of these supervisors would end up having a name, or that Oxford itself must place very little weight on references if it is common practice within the university itself for people to write their own references.

I believe there are official Oxford representatives on TSR, does anyone happen to know their usernames or how to search for them? I'd love to hear their thoughts on this.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending