The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Getting into Oxbridge for Postgraduate Study

Scroll to see replies

Lady_Muck
I was going to post this in the mid section, but thought it'd never get looked at.

Is it highly unlikely of being offered a place for an Oxford MA if I have previously studied at Oxford Brookes? I'm looking to transfer to English Language and Linguistics...

not at all. english is one of brookes strong areas - with a high research (5b) rae2001 score and high teaching scores, it was in the top 10 at one point, before a-level points and staff-student ratio were privileged. it's a good department so, providing you get the grades (2.1+) you should be in with a chance.

edit: by this, i mean that the course is good and thus if you apply yourself, the skills and knowledges you develop should shine through on your application.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 61
the_alba
Of course it's not 'highly unlikely'. Depending on which course you want to do, a high 2:1 would normally suffice, unless it's a really competitive course (such as MSt English 1900 - Present, in which case you usually need a First).

The Linguistics MSt probably won't be quite as competitive as that, though so it's likely she'd have a chance with a good 2.i.
Great & helpful thread :smile:

Are there by chance any good threads for people deciding between the merits of a MPhil vs MSt, etc if both are offered, ie threads that deal with the actual course content? thanks :smile:
Reply 63
megx
Great & helpful thread :smile:

Are there by chance any good threads for people deciding between the merits of a MPhil vs MSt, etc if both are offered, ie threads that deal with the actual course content? thanks :smile:

Just to clarify, do you mean an Oxford MSt vs an Oxford MPhil or an Oxford MSt vs a Cambridge MPhil? If it's the latter, they're pretty much the same thing; they've just got slightly different names to confuse people.
Both at Oxford, Cam doesn't offer the course I'm (currently) interested in. I know one is generally longer in duration, etc, but how will that affect things if I continue to a DPhil/PhD or decide to take it as a standalone qualification? Any good threads? thanks :smile:
Reply 65
megx
Both at Oxford, Cam doesn't offer the course I'm (currently) interested in. I know one is generally longer in duration, etc, but how will that affect things if I continue to a DPhil/PhD or decide to take it as a standalone qualification? Any good threads? thanks :smile:

No, I don't think this has been discussed in any detail before. Sorry.
As far as I know, the main difference between the two is duration (so obviously it's also a difference in terms of costs), the length of the final thesis and some difference in course contents. I suppose you could just email the department if you want more detailed information than what you can get from the graduate prospectus...:dontknow:
If your question is whether the MPhil would be regarded as a higher qualification just because it's a two-year course, though, I doubt it.
Reply 66
I've looked thru the thread and can find info on the marks required etc, but not on the process. If you are interested in a M.Sc. in biological sci or biochem how do you know if the dept actually has any openings and if so in which specific research area? Existing grad students may or may not be leaving/graduating, so there isn't openings for new grad students every yr. Do you contact the Profs well in advance in research areas that you are interested in to find out when they will have an opening?
In north american uni's you apply to the uni for grad studies and then you just get allocated to which ever lab is looking for someone and it may or may not be an area that you're specifically interested in. Does it work the same way in the UK?
well each year a new cohort arrives and an old cohort leaves - it's much more cyclic than you have described.

also, an msc is a one year course, so each year the 20-60 (or whatever) places are ready to be filled again.
Okay, really stupid question but that's what these threads tend to attract, eh?

For undergraduate, I was rejected from Cambridge & I got the vibe that a lot of it was from the fact I am currently close to entering my final year credit wise of university in the US. Now, I am considering taking some graduate school courses for enjoyment/possibly to use if I get in to a PhD program at my university.

It sounds quite similar to my undergraduate situation, and that kind of makes me hesitant to go through with it. Bad idea or shows initiative?
No harm in going for it :smile: Worst comes to worst, you get rejected again and move somewhere else. Other universities will offer the same/similar courses and are highly reputable also.

I'll be the prototype btw in terms of applications...

I just applied for a PhD studentship at Cambridge in the Pathology Dept. I have a 2i at St Andrews, doing an MSc at Manchester, and no lab experience outside university, however I have 3 strong references and all that jazz. And other things too. Will keep you updated on what they think of me :smile:
Reply 70
I have applied for MSc in Economics for Development and should have been considered in the first gathered field, so the admission decision was due 23.11. Yet I have not heard a word from them. Admissions office says that the department will contact me, and department doesn't reply to my emails.

Thanks for any help/advice.
:smile: :confused: :smile:
Reply 71
mimi23456
I have applied for MSc in Economics for Development and should have been considered in the first gathered field, so the admission decision was due 23.11. Yet I have not heard a word from them. Admissions office says that the department will contact me, and department doesn't reply to my emails.

Thanks for any help/advice.
:smile: :confused: :smile:

Have you tried calling them?
Reply 72
Arghhh application forms suck. Who the hell designed the AHRC website, a blind chimp?

I don't know what to put in the funding information section of my Oxford form, I'm applying to the AHRC but haven't done it yet so I have no idea what the funding would cover and when I'd find out if I got it and it's almost impossible to find out because their website is such a pile of ****e.
Reply 73
See my reply in the other thread :smile: Their website is tricky to navigate, but you get used to it. Just hit the 'Applicants' tab at the top of the page, then either 'Research Preparation Master's', Professional Prep Master's', or 'Doctoral Awards', depending on what you're applying for.
Reply 74
puppy
Arghhh application forms suck. Who the hell designed the AHRC website, a blind chimp?

I suppose they're trying to prevent as many people as they can from applying...
Reply 75
hobnob
I suppose they're trying to prevent as many people as they can from applying...

I wouldn't bother except that I can't apply to my college for funding (if I stay in Cambridge) unless I've already applied to the AHRC
Has anyone here applyed for an MPhil from Cambridge? I'm applying for MPhil(Econ) and I'm stuck on what to write under "Additional Information in Support of your application" anyone got any ideas on what sort of stuff to put in?
Reply 77
roxy potter
Has anyone here applyed for an MPhil from Cambridge? I'm applying for MPhil(Econ) and I'm stuck on what to write under "Additional Information in Support of your application" anyone got any ideas on what sort of stuff to put in?

I believe people usually put whatever is in their current TSR sig, so in your case that would be 'MUNSTER MUNSTER MUNSTER etc'.:p:

Seriously, though; as far as I know, most people actually leave that bit blank. Unless you can think of something not covered by your research proposal, references or CV, which would convince them you're an amazing candidate.
Lol. I can see it now...the reason I should be accepted to Cambridge is because I can contribute to the University Rugby Fan Club(and if there isn't one I'll start it up)

Thanks.

Also just one other question(this is a more general postgrad question) when it asks for the date my degree will be obtained, is it talking about a) when i finish my degree, b) when i get the results of my degree, or c) when i will be conferred.

I'm assuming it's the date I'm being conferred but thats really weird because it's after/the same time as the postgrad starts.
Reply 79
roxy potter

I just put all my extra curricular stuff in there, so how I'd contributed to the uni while I'd been here; sports, societies etc. I guess you could put other relevant interests or work experience. Just take any stuff off your CV that the form hasn't already asked for I guess.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending