The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Getting into Oxbridge for Postgraduate Study

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1060
College food in general is ****e unless you are a Fellow or invited to be a guest on High Table.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by ilickbatteries
Take that back!

:eek:

psh. who are you/we kidding, he/she is clearly right.
Reply 1062
Original post by shiny
College food in general is ****e unless you are a Fellow or invited to be a guest on High Table.

King's food is always on the palatable to really nice end of the scale (makes a change from Wadham...)
Reply 1063
Original post by Athena

King's food is always on the palatable to really nice end of the scale (makes a change from Wadham...)

Wadham don't serve food ... there has yet to be a word invented for that slop :wink::biggrin: ... it's almost as bad as Queens :eek:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by shiny

I've been at High Table a couple of times (ooh, get me!) and I can confirm that the food there sucked too, it just sucked in a slightly classier way.
Reply 1065
Clare High Table food is epic.
Reply 1066
Original post by the_alba
I've been at High Table a couple of times (ooh, get me!) and I can confirm that the food there sucked too, it just sucked in a slightly classier way.

Wadham? Queens? :wink:
So, what about accommodation - say you find out in January that you've received an offer, how soon thereafter should you have located a place?

If living the whole year round, is private rent generally cheaper than college-provided accommodation? (If doing a 12-month master's you'd have to live all read round, wouldn't you? Or would you be able to live at home for the couple of months before your thesis is due in?)

From what I gather, you'd be looking to spend £5,500 on rent for a year.
Reply 1068
If you get an offer in January, you'll probably have a college place within a few weeks. BUT if it's a conditional offer, you don't get accomodation until those conditions are fulfilled and your place is confirmed, which may well be June.

In general if you aren't really late (i.e. applying for accomodation in August) you're likely to get something from most colleges.
Original post by ramparts
If you get an offer in January, you'll probably have a college place within a few weeks. BUT if it's a conditional offer, you don't get accomodation until those conditions are fulfilled and your place is confirmed, which may well be June.

In general if you aren't really late (i.e. applying for accomodation in August) you're likely to get something from most colleges.

Alright, cool. Thumbed up :biggrin:

One other question: If doing a 12-month master's you'd have to live all read round, wouldn't you? Or would you be able to live at home for the couple of months before your thesis is due in? I'm just trying to figure out the costs involved, and obviously 9 months rent is cheaper than 12.
Is it substantially easier to get into Oxford for an M.A if you apply a year or two after you've completed your undergrad degree, rather than applying during the final year as a undergrad? I don't mean applying a couple years after due to having work experience or anything in the mean time, I mean for simply not having to put individual module marks or the like, but the simple percentage and final grade you obtained (eg: 2.1 at 67% or First at 73%)
Original post by ProfPlum
Is it substantially easier to get into Oxford for an M.A if you apply a year or two after you've completed your undergrad degree, rather than applying during the final year as a undergrad? I don't mean applying a couple years after due to having work experience or anything in the mean time, I mean for simply not having to put individual module marks or the like, but the simple percentage and final grade you obtained (eg: 2.1 at 67% or First at 73%)

Out of curiosity, they're happy with you not submitting individual module results? Odd.
Original post by ProfPlum

They require transcripts from every module you've taken, including first year modules, regardless of whether you've graduated. So no, it shouldn't be any easier in theory.
Apologies if this has been asked before:

In the email they send out, they state they'll send you a letter about their decision.

But what about interviews? Do they send a letter saying they've shortlisted you for an interview, and then they'll decide based on how you do?

Do they give you plenty of notice, for these interviews?
Reply 1074
Depends entireeeeely on the course. Probably best to just e-mail the graduate admissions secretary there and ask :smile: They're usually quite friendly.
Reply 1075
Original post by PrimateJ
Apologies if this has been asked before:

In the email they send out, they state they'll send you a letter about their decision.

But what about interviews? Do they send a letter saying they've shortlisted you for an interview, and then they'll decide based on how you do?

Do they give you plenty of notice, for these interviews?

Many masters programmes don't interview at all.
This is a very geographically ignorant question.

Are any of the following areas located near, or are the actual location of, the Oxford colleges??

Highcliffe, Bransgore, Walkford, Christchurch, St Ives, St Leonards, Parley, Hurn, Littledown, East Cliff, Boscome, Springbourne, and Southborne
Reply 1077
Original post by PrimateJ
This is a very geographically ignorant question.

Are any of the following areas located near, or are the actual location of, the Oxford colleges??

Highcliffe, Bransgore, Walkford, Christchurch, St Ives, St Leonards, Parley, Hurn, Littledown, East Cliff, Boscome, Springbourne, and Southborne

:confused:

Oxford colleges are located in....Oxford!
Reply 1078
I've never heard of any of them :s-smilie: I assume Christchurch isn't the college...
Reply 1079
I have no idea what this question is about :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending