The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Getting into Oxbridge for Postgraduate Study

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1580
Original post by DeMoomin
What are the chances of getting fully funded at Oxbridge to do your PhD? I mean, does anyone know the percentages of people who end up funded? Or maybe someone has a personal story that they think is indicative?

According to what I've read on Oxford website, only 7% of all people applied for a funding got it
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by Sei
Can anyone clarify this for me please ?

I'm an international student and have been in Eng for 4 years. I did my undergraduate at Liverpool John Moores University (only graduate (BSc(Hons) with a 2ii (58%) bloody hell, I wish I studied harder), then I just finished my Master at Oxford Brookes University and looks like I'm going to graduate with a distinction for my thesis and at least a high Merit (68%).

So, do you think I stand a chance to get into Oxford for a DPhil at all ? I have a good research proposal for my DPhil though...

Also do they consider your MSc more than BSc result ?

I read the requirement for DPhil Zoology is a high 2i for bachelor degree but they didn't even mention about master degree.

Thanks a lot

If you have a good research proposal and strong references you'll be competitive, but beyond that it depends on factors liks the rest of the applicant field, fit and balance of Supervisors etc.
Hi guys,

I'm a recent history graduate from Berkeley with a 3.6 overall GPA looking into a few graduate programs at Oxford, Cambridge, and LSE.

As you already probably know, Both Oxford and Cambridge generally require a 3.7 GPA or higher to admit U.S. students. I'm just curious - how strict do they follow this rule?

I'm looking into the politics, international relations and economic history programs. Will they automatically rule me out for my GPA? I'd imagine that if I had strong recommendation letters, writing sample, prospectus and personal statement I could still get in, but again, I'm not quite sure how strict things are over in the UK.

Any advice, knowledge, etc would be appreciated - do any of you know someone who has gotten into these programs (or similar ones) with less than 3.7 GPA?

Thanks!
Original post by primitiveplus
Hi guys,

I'm a recent history graduate from Berkeley with a 3.6 overall GPA looking into a few graduate programs at Oxford, Cambridge, and LSE.

As you already probably know, Both Oxford and Cambridge generally require a 3.7 GPA or higher to admit U.S. students. I'm just curious - how strict do they follow this rule?

I'm looking into the politics, international relations and economic history programs. Will they automatically rule me out for my GPA? I'd imagine that if I had strong recommendation letters, writing sample, prospectus and personal statement I could still get in, but again, I'm not quite sure how strict things are over in the UK.

Any advice, knowledge, etc would be appreciated - do any of you know someone who has gotten into these programs (or similar ones) with less than 3.7 GPA?

Thanks!

IR / Politics master's at Oxbridge are rather competitive, especially so in the case of Cambridge's one year MPhil. To overcome your grades, you'd need everything else to be excellent, but you aren't far off and Berkeley is a good uni, so that will help. I knew a chap who got in from a TTT US state university with a 3.8 or so, so not everyone is a rockstar so to speak...
Reply 1584
The Cambridge MPhil actually specifies a 3.85 minimum GPA and advises against applying if you have grades below that. That said, if you have sterling references and a really good research proposal, it may be worth wagering the application fee. I understand Oxford does take people with a 2:1 or equivalent, which you have. I suspect the economic history programmes would be less competitive, but don't know anything about them.
Original post by primitiveplus
Hi guys,

Thanks!

Depends on a programme.
You have to look at individual requirements.
Hi everyone,

I would like consult you something about the MPhil in Development Studies.

Please allow me to present myself briefly.

Education : a 2.1 in English from a Uni in Hong Kong. Currently doing a research based master's degree in Politics in University of Buenos Aires, Argentina. I predict I will graduate with the final mark 8.5-9/10. My thesis is about poverty in Buenos Aires.

Internship : Oxfam HK, Mexican Consulate HK

Volunteer exp : 9 months living and volunteering in a slum in Lima, Peru . Currently, volunteering in some slums in Buenos Aires

Language : Proficient in Chinese (Mandarin & Cantonese), English, Japanese & Spanish. Intermediate level of Portuguese and German.

I have two questions.
1, What is a very good 2.1 in the UK standard? It seems that we do not have this in Hong Kong.
2, Do I have a good chance of getting admitted?

Thank you very much for your help.
hi guys,

I want to do an MPhil in IR at Oxford this upcoming year. I graduated last year with a 1st from SOAS and a high first (78) in my dissertation. However, I studied Social Anthropology & Study of Religions, and I don't have much relevant work exp, exp for a summer at the Ministry of Foreign Relations. My references should be pretty good- esp from my dissertation supervisor. I just wanted to get an opinion on how you would see my chances? I'm worried because I didn't study anything specifically related to international relations, and my reference is a professor in the study of religions dept., and because in second year I had one 2.2 which will obviously show up on my transcript (though I did get a first in the end).

Thanks for the help, I really need a second opinion.
Reply 1588
Original post by Decembrist
hi guys,

I want to do an MPhil in IR at Oxford this upcoming year. I graduated last year with a 1st from SOAS and a high first (78) in my dissertation. However, I studied Social Anthropology & Study of Religions, and I don't have much relevant work exp, exp for a summer at the Ministry of Foreign Relations. My references should be pretty good- esp from my dissertation supervisor. I just wanted to get an opinion on how you would see my chances? I'm worried because I didn't study anything specifically related to international relations, and my reference is a professor in the study of religions dept., and because in second year I had one 2.2 which will obviously show up on my transcript (though I did get a first in the end).

Thanks for the help, I really need a second opinion.

I wouldn't worry too much about the 2.2 on your transcript, obviously it will be seen but in the context of your results I would have thought it shouldn't matter too much, especially with such a high mark for your dissertation.

I think it would definitely be worth you applying but given how competitive in the Oxford IR course is you may have to accept that there's a chance you might not get a place this time round. You should also make sure that you are able to express in your statement why you now want to study IR in particular.

(Another SOAS grad here) - have you looked at the MA International Studies and Diplomacy course in the CISD centre at SOAS? Really easy to get into as a SOAS graduate of any subject but very very well regarded if you want to go into anything related to IR..
Original post by sufjan
I wouldn't worry too much about the 2.2 on your transcript, obviously it will be seen but in the context of your results I would have thought it shouldn't matter too much, especially with such a high mark for your dissertation.

I think it would definitely be worth you applying but given how competitive in the Oxford IR course is you may have to accept that there's a chance you might not get a place this time round. You should also make sure that you are able to express in your statement why you now want to study IR in particular.

(Another SOAS grad here) - have you looked at the MA International Studies and Diplomacy course in the CISD centre at SOAS? Really easy to get into as a SOAS graduate of any subject but very very well regarded if you want to go into anything related to IR..

Hey, many thanks for your reply. Yeah, i decided to also apply for history at oxford as a kind of a safety- should be easier to get into. I haven't considered that course- I really don't want to stay in London or SOAS, I want to have a more wholesome smalltown uni experience if you see what I mean. Thanks for bringing it up though!
Hi, I'm an undergrad from Taiwan who's applying for an MPhil in English this year at Cambridge. I was wondering if my chances would be better if I applied simultaneously for two programmes (the Anglo-saxon one and the Modern&Contemporary one), or if I just focused on then one programme?

The deadline's looming and to be honest I'm actually pretty stressed out. My research proposal never seems good enough (I know I'm griping here) and, since I've been educated all my life in Taiwan (where we speak Chinese), I sometimes wonder if I even have a chance against all the other native speakers who are applying as well. However, I've always loved Cambridge (I was lucky enough to visit when I was younger and went again this summer) and I'd really like to go there and study.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Hi all,

Just looking for some advice on the DPhil English (to 1550) at Oxford, and the PhD Anglo-Saxon, Norse and Celtic at Cambridge, and specifically what is expected from candidates applying.

I have a first-class undergrad. degree in English Literature from a good, old redbrick Russell Group university (not Oxbridge), and hope to get a distinction-level MA English and American Studies from the same institution. My BA isn't a high first, with my Year 3 average clocking in at 73. However, I was awarded a prize as the department's best student of medieval literature (which is the area I'd like to do the PhD in). Also, my C.V. includes: three journal publications; two conference papers; one conference co-organisation; one editorial position (with a postgrad journal); a number of professional affiliations; and academic duties I've undertaken as an undergrad. and postgrad. I also think my research proposal is good, and my current supervisor has "signed-off" on it, so to speak.

I've applied for both the DPhil English and PhD ASNC at Oxford and Cam., respectively. The question I'm asking (mainly to anyone currently at either institution as a research student) is: do you think my undergrad. degree will hinder an application? Apparently, I was in the top 15% of students in my year for my BA course, and I have heard that this might not be good enough to get into Oxbridge. Yet I've seen C.V.s and LinkedIn profiles of current research students at both Oxford and Cambridge who have a 2:1 undergrad. degree, which has puzzled me.

If anyone has any advice, I'd much appreciate it. Now I've submitted both applications I can't help feeling slightly excited, though I don't want to build my hopes up unnecessarily!
Original post by AngloSaxonist
Hi all,

Just looking for some advice on the DPhil English (to 1550) at Oxford, and the PhD Anglo-Saxon, Norse and Celtic at Cambridge, and specifically what is expected from candidates applying.

I have a first-class undergrad. degree in English Literature from a good, old redbrick Russell Group university (not Oxbridge), and hope to get a distinction-level MA English and American Studies from the same institution. My BA isn't a high first, with my Year 3 average clocking in at 73. However, I was awarded a prize as the department's best student of medieval literature (which is the area I'd like to do the PhD in). Also, my C.V. includes: three journal publications; two conference papers; one conference co-organisation; one editorial position (with a postgrad journal); a number of professional affiliations; and academic duties I've undertaken as an undergrad. and postgrad. I also think my research proposal is good, and my current supervisor has "signed-off" on it, so to speak.

I've applied for both the DPhil English and PhD ASNC at Oxford and Cam., respectively. The question I'm asking (mainly to anyone currently at either institution as a research student) is: do you think my undergrad. degree will hinder an application? Apparently, I was in the top 15% of students in my year for my BA course, and I have heard that this might not be good enough to get into Oxbridge. Yet I've seen C.V.s and LinkedIn profiles of current research students at both Oxford and Cambridge who have a 2:1 undergrad. degree, which has puzzled me.

If anyone has any advice, I'd much appreciate it. Now I've submitted both applications I can't help feeling slightly excited, though I don't want to build my hopes up unnecessarily!

I think that the most important thing in gaining a PhD place is that there is a good 'fit' between you, your proposed topic, and the prospective supervisor at Oxford & Cam. Did you have specific people in mind as potential supervisors when you applied? If your topic is one that a supervisor at either institution would be happy to supervise, then you have a very good chance; your grades and so on are very good so I see no worries on that front. I do know of people in my own faculty (history) who are doing PhDs with 2.1s, but quite a few of them are Cambridge alumni, so that reflects a bit of internal bias. But the standard offer for both my Masters and PhD here was a 67, so it is possible to be here as a doctoral candidate with a 2.1.

The trickiest part, more than likely, will be getting funding. Even having a first+distinction is no guarantee of getting money, things are so tight now. So be prepared for the possibility of being accepted but not getting funding; of course if that isn't an issue for you then great, but for most applicants it would be a dealbreaker. At least with Oxbridge there are the colleges to turn to for funding possibilities, rather than just the university, so there are more potential sources of money than elsewhere.
Original post by gutenberg
I think that the most important thing in gaining a PhD place is that there is a good 'fit' between you, your proposed topic, and the prospective supervisor at Oxford & Cam. Did you have specific people in mind as potential supervisors when you applied? If your topic is one that a supervisor at either institution would be happy to supervise, then you have a very good chance; your grades and so on are very good so I see no worries on that front. I do know of people in my own faculty (history) who are doing PhDs with 2.1s, but quite a few of them are Cambridge alumni, so that reflects a bit of internal bias. But the standard offer for both my Masters and PhD here was a 67, so it is possible to be here as a doctoral candidate with a 2.1.

The trickiest part, more than likely, will be getting funding. Even having a first+distinction is no guarantee of getting money, things are so tight now. So be prepared for the possibility of being accepted but not getting funding; of course if that isn't an issue for you then great, but for most applicants it would be a dealbreaker. At least with Oxbridge there are the colleges to turn to for funding possibilities, rather than just the university, so there are more potential sources of money than elsewhere.

Thanks -- I'm glad to hear that's the case. I have been in touch with potential supervisors at both, so hopefully an interest will be shown in the research once the application reaches the department(s). Funding is going to be a problem, I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed and explore other avenues if I'm lucky enough to get an offer! Thanks for your reply.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1594
Hello!

I'm a student at an American uni very interested in Oxbridge for a Master's, planning to pursue a PhD back in the US after Oxbridge or instead of Oxbridge if I'm not fortunate enough to get a place. I applied to Cambridge, Christ's specifically, for undergrad, but I was pooled and then fished by a college I didn't find as attractive. Being American, I'm probably much more confused than the average British applicant.

What is the distinction between first class and second class degrees, exactly? How necessary is a first class degree?

Are the 2.1s and 2.2s and such on this thread out of 4? I saw on the Oxford site that a first class degree was comparable to an American GPA of 3.8/4 so I'm not really sure how the scales compare. My GPA at current is a 3.6, and I fully expect a 3.7 by application time. I calculated out once that I would have a 3.8 at graduation, though I may have wrecked that by getting one B more than expected this semester. The honors cum laude, magna cum laude and summa cum laude are often used in the US for the best students, by my university doesn't have these.

Does the school I go for undergrad matter at all?

I go to a top US school (see my sig, one of these), so I'd like it very much if that was worth something :smile:, especially as grades here tend to be a bit lower due to the difficulty of classes.

How important is research?

The whole time I've been in college I've mainly thought about how important my research is, since that's what matters most for my end goal of a PhD and Master's degrees are not very common in my subject.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by millan
Hello!

I'm a student at an American uni very interested in Oxbridge for a Master's, planning to pursue a PhD back in the US after Oxbridge or instead of Oxbridge if I'm not fortunate enough to get a place. I applied to Cambridge, Christ's specifically, for undergrad, but I was pooled and then fished by a college I didn't find as attractive. Being American, I'm probably much more confused than the average British applicant.

What is the distinction between first class and second class degrees, exactly? How necessary is a first class degree?

Are the 2.1s and 2.2s and such on this thread out of 4? I saw on the Oxford site that a first class degree was comparable to an American GPA of 3.8/4 so I'm not really sure how the scales compare. My GPA at current is a 3.6, and I fully expect a 3.7 by application time. I calculated out once that I would have a 3.8 at graduation, though I may have wrecked that by getting one B more than expected this semester. The honors cum laude, magna cum laude and summa cum laude are often used in the US for the best students, by my university doesn't have these.

Does the school I go for undergrad matter at all?

I go to a top US school (see my sig, one of these), so I'd like it very much if that was worth something :smile:, especially as grades here tend to be a bit lower due to the difficulty of classes.

How important is research?

The whole time I've been in college I've mainly thought about how important my research is, since that's what matters most for my end goal of a PhD and Master's degrees are not very common in my subject.

The undergrad grading system in the UK is as follows (highest to lowest)
First/1:1
Upper second 2:1
Lower second 2:2
Third

Oxford usually requires either a 2:1 or a first. On the Oxford and Cambridge websites, the course that you've applied for should tell you what the gpa requirement is. There are lots of US applicants, and both unis will know what they are looking for.
Original post by Little Jules
The undergrad grading system in the UK is as follows (highest to lowest)
First/1:1
Upper second 2:1
Lower second 2:2
Third

Oxford usually requires either a 2:1 or a first. On the Oxford and Cambridge websites, the course that you've applied for should tell you what the gpa requirement is. There are lots of US applicants, and both unis will know what they are looking for.

Just to add, the percentages for degree classifications in the UK are:

First: 70+%
Upper-Second: 60-69%
Lower-Second: 50-59%
Third: 40-49%

2:1/2:2 aren't out of 4, but rather correspond to the above percentages.
Reply 1597
Original post by AngloSaxonist
Just to add, the percentages for degree classifications in the UK are:

First: 70+%
Upper-Second: 60-69%
Lower-Second: 50-59%
Third: 40-49%

2:1/2:2 aren't out of 4, but rather correspond to the above percentages.

And to add further, the above percentages do not translate directly across to the percentages earned in the US. It seems to vary a bit but, for example, a first class usually equates to a 3.7 GPA in the US. (Some unis or departments require a higher GPA to correspond to a first.)
Reply 1598
Original post by Decembrist
Hey, many thanks for your reply. Yeah, i decided to also apply for history at oxford as a kind of a safety- should be easier to get into. I haven't considered that course- I really don't want to stay in London or SOAS, I want to have a more wholesome smalltown uni experience if you see what I mean. Thanks for bringing it up though!

No worries, I completely understand why you would want that after SOAS - I'm planning to do the same. Both staff and students at SOAS can often be unjustly disparaging about Oxbridge and discourage applications so well done for going for it and best of luck with your application.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by janjanmmm
Depends on a programme.
You have to look at individual requirements.

Why did you people neg me? It DOES depend on a programme. Some programmes (IR) require 3.7 GPA.

A GPA of 3.7 or above would be expected from students who have studied at a university that uses the US grading system

source: http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/postgraduate_courses/course_guide/politics_and.html

You are NOT going to be even considered with 3.6.

Other programmes, for example Russian and East European Studies, only requires 3.5 GPA.
So, you have a chance.

You can neg me if you want, but it is a FACT.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending