The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Getting into Oxbridge for Postgraduate Study

Scroll to see replies

Hi all! I was recently accepted into Oxford's Anthro MSc for VMMA. Anyone else got into this program?
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 1601
I'm an undergraduate student looking at studying postgrad in the UK, as it's something I've always wanted to do and have never had the chance...I've been researching courses and as much as it pains me, Oxbridge ones are really attractive. However, being from Australia where 'Honours' or a dissertation is a separate, discrete year of study, I'm wondering if anyone knows whether it's feasible to apply to either school without a major thesis completed. It will take me an extra year of study in my home country, but is that what courses are looking for? I have completed a minor dissertation as a final subject, but no other honours year. I'm close to finishing my degree and will most probably finish with a top band grade, akin to a 1:1 I believe. Has anyone from Aus/NZ or surrounds applied to grad programs at Cambridge or Oxford straight out of undergrad? Or am I completely mad for considering it? Thanks!
Reply 1602
Original post by hk145
I'm an undergraduate student looking at studying postgrad in the UK, as it's something I've always wanted to do and have never had the chance...I've been researching courses and as much as it pains me, Oxbridge ones are really attractive. However, being from Australia where 'Honours' or a dissertation is a separate, discrete year of study, I'm wondering if anyone knows whether it's feasible to apply to either school without a major thesis completed. It will take me an extra year of study in my home country, but is that what courses are looking for? I have completed a minor dissertation as a final subject, but no other honours year. I'm close to finishing my degree and will most probably finish with a top band grade, akin to a 1:1 I believe. Has anyone from Aus/NZ or surrounds applied to grad programs at Cambridge or Oxford straight out of undergrad? Or am I completely mad for considering it? Thanks!

Erm - if you have an undergraduate qualification (i.e. what everyone in England has who is applying for a grad programme) then surely there shouldn't be a problem, even if you haven't completed a major thesis? Usually if it comes to an academic application, you submit an outline of a thesis you want to complete. How about instead of asking TSR, you email Oxford and Cambridge respectively to ask them on their stance? It's all very well if some well-meaning users give their opinions or advice: it's another actually having the bottom line on the matter from both institutions. Also, the grad courses vary hugely depending on which university you decide to apply to - although they're lumped together as 'Oxbridge,' they differ a great deal.
Reply 1603
Thanks for the feedback. I will certainly be in contact with both institutions - just thought I'd check in here too. In the UK it seems that 'honours' is related to overall performance in your degree, but in Aus it's another year of study entirely, an 'honours year', with major research attached. I guess it's just a case of being bold and throwing my hat in the ring - but the idea of studying at such universities as Oxbridge never comes up where I'm from, so I guess I wanna make sure there's even a 1% chance I'm eligible before having to explain my decision to everyone I know :colondollar:
Reply 1604
You need to ask both unis, and they may have different requirements. There are countries where the extra honours year is a prerequisite - not sure if that is the case for Australia.
Reply 1605
Original post by hk145
Thanks for the feedback. I will certainly be in contact with both institutions - just thought I'd check in here too. In the UK it seems that 'honours' is related to overall performance in your degree, but in Aus it's another year of study entirely, an 'honours year', with major research attached. I guess it's just a case of being bold and throwing my hat in the ring - but the idea of studying at such universities as Oxbridge never comes up where I'm from, so I guess I wanna make sure there's even a 1% chance I'm eligible before having to explain my decision to everyone I know :colondollar:

Please quote me next time so I know you've replied. The thing is, you shouldn't apply to Oxford/Cambridge just because they're 'Oxbridge'; you need to find a course that you think you will find really invigorating and exciting and then see if Oxford or Cambridge do those courses. Just please email both institutions - they don't keep a data record of who sends what (not that it would matter anyway) and it is FAR better knowing now what your course of action should be rather than taking advice from people who mean well but don't have the final say on the matter.
Original post by hk145

This year I applied as an international student in fourth year (of an undergraduate degree that did not include a dissertation) and I received offers from both schools. If it is your dream to go to Cambridge or Oxford, I would encourage you to work hard and apply.
Reply 1607
Original post by hk145

If Oxbridge have pages like this I haven't found them, but it's worth noting that Imperial seems to require honours level from Australians to apply for masters. http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/entryrequirements/graduate/countryindex/australia

To eastcoast, country requirements differ. A 4-year degree without dissertation just may not be seen the same as a 3-year degree without one. And for example students from certain Asian countries need a masters degree from their home country to apply for a masters at Cambridge. It really is entirely country-dependent.
Hi, im pretty new here, and i know this may sound like a silly, even offensive, question to many, but........

Would obtaining an OU degree, as opposed to a "traditional uni" degree, in any way lesson my chances of getting onto an oxbridge msc, or even MPhil/phd.

Im specifically talking of a "computing with applied maths" Bsc, in hope of getting into bioinformatics, cognitive neurosciences &/or computer sciences.

Also, would gaining top A-levels boost my application for postgrad?
Is there anything else besides top degree, cv & research proposal that one could use to boost msc application?

Soz, I know thats alot of questions, but im clear-cut set on an academic career in the cognitive neuroscience/informatics/ bioinformatics fields, & id like to go to oxbridge, but i got this niggling feeling of skepticism that oxbridge might not see my OU degree in computing/maths as "en par" for their standards.
Am i wrong?
Oxbridge isn't the holy grail you know.
You'd be as well deciding first which area you'd like to go into, then looking at which unis are good at that, where the important people are, and THEN worrying about applying and who will take you. Love of the subject should be your motivation, not going to Oxbridge.

In answer to your questions though, I don't think A level grades will matter, just your transcript and degree grades. Ways to boost your application: experience, things that you've done outside of your degree that show a passion or that you have particular skills (in my case this would be stuff like computer programming, for example).
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by flyboienigma
Hi, im pretty new here, and i know this may sound like a silly, even offensive, question to many, but........

Would obtaining an OU degree, as opposed to a "traditional uni" degree, in any way lesson my chances of getting onto an oxbridge msc, or even MPhil/phd.

Im specifically talking of a "computing with applied maths" Bsc, in hope of getting into bioinformatics, cognitive neurosciences &/or computer sciences.

Also, would gaining top A-levels boost my application for postgrad?
Is there anything else besides top degree, cv & research proposal that one could use to boost msc application?

Soz, I know thats alot of questions, but im clear-cut set on an academic career in the cognitive neuroscience/informatics/ bioinformatics fields, & id like to go to oxbridge, but i got this niggling feeling of skepticism that oxbridge might not see my OU degree in computing/maths as "en par" for their standards.
Am i wrong?

I'm sure it would be fine as long as you get a good first which is what they usually take for postgrad
Yeah, youre right, therandommer, tis true:s-smilie::confused:,
Well im firmly decided that my direction is the computing,neuroscience & bioinformatics field --(all/any three combined in whatever course shape as my passion extends across all 3 digressions)---and ive learned that cambridge & kings london, are most highly rated in this area,
But do you think an OU degree might still not cut it at application for these unis?
It's a long way off if you haven't got your A levels yet.

I wonder why you'd choose ou over a conventional uni if you're taking A levels, not because there's anything wrong with ou degrees, because young people asking about the ou here seem (imo) to have social anxiety type problems, really you need to sort that sort of thing out cos it'll hold you back later whether you're doing a research degree or getting a job.
If you want to go for 'prestige' forget it. People who think that an oxbridge postgrad is 'prestigious' generally have another thing coming.

If it is purely the course content then I see no reason why you shouldnt make a competitive application.
Hi. Delighted to hear you're interested in applying for a postgrad with us.

All applications for CompSci masters and DPhil are considered on academic merit and we have taken students in the past with an OU degree.

You would need to apply for the masters degree first for which you are likely to require a first class degree. Then apply for a DPhil (the Oxford word for a PhD) for which you would then need to have got (or be on track to get) a distinction in your masters degree. (You could of course do your masters elsewhere and they apply to us for a DPhil.)

Information about our courses is here: http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/prospectivestudents/ If you wanted to have an informal chat about our postgrads please do feel free to get in touch with our taught course administrator Wendy (for the MSc) or the graduate studies administrator Julie (for the DPhil). Their details are given on this page too.

Hope that helps.
Reply 1615
Hey :smile:

I'm thinking about applying to Oxford to do an MSc in neuroscience (a long way off yet!) and I wondered whether those of you who were accepted onto an MSc course at Oxford or Cambridge would be willing to tell me what sort of grades you got at undergraduate and whether you think I'd have a chance.

I'm currently in my first year at Bristol Uni and am achieving the highest grades in the year in some modules (although that means very little in first year!) and am doing charity work and an internship (this too seems to be of little interest to Oxbridge...).

So:
. What was your final grade/class of degree?
. Where did you study at undergrad?

Thanks in advance! :biggrin:
Reply 1616
Anyone? Including PhD students?
I don't know if I can really be of much help but I'm going to be studying the MSc in Psychological Research at Oxford from this October. Though I am a neuroscientist at heart, I applied for this programme over the MSc in Neuroscience just because I didn't want to lose the psychological aspect of neuroscience, if that makes sense, and the Psychological Research programme is more flexible.

Anyway, that's not what you were asking, haha. I got onto this programme having achieved 69% in my first and second years, with 1sts in the really relevant modules. My marks are strong but not amazing by any stretch and I was surprised I got a place considering them, but I think the interview was an important factor as well. I am, however, on track to get a 1st overall in my degree and my referees mentioned this so that might have helped too.

The charity work and internship probably isn't much relevance to Oxford unless it's in the area of neuroscience. I had a neuroscience internship for 10 months in London, for example, and they seemed to like that as in my time there I learnt some research methods skills that are relevant to the masters. So that sort of thing is very important.

In short, try to get a 1st or high 2:1 average in your time at university and along with some relevant experience and strong references there's no reason why you wouldn't be able to get an offer from Oxford. The fact that you're already doing well in some modules in 1st year sounds like you're on track.
Reply 1618
The reply above me is political superb but never been in Oxford myself I consider it impossible, today, to make the move. Needless to say there is always one in a million.

Many students at OU are very smart and well educated but spoilt for lifetime for some few things like an academic career in bioinformatics.

The requirements for master programs are a bit lower but watching the research groups at http://www.imprs-celldevosys.de - where and what the people have done before, I believe bioinformatics in Athens is a different subject with a same name.

Toay, at OU you can see a single professor explaining a chemcar as the latest singular high-tech, around the world at numerous universities freshmen are building the same.
(extreme example how much religious sect OU can be)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1619
Mathematics is mathematics in Athens and Oxford in accord with the same natural laws. Students from eastern countries where universities are not so well-resourced often excel in mathematics but often they were early in selective and specialized schools for mathematics. The older you grow the easier it still is, anyway, to outscore 99% of your contemporaries, the long-run use is intense, it does not need to be perfect at all. Normal daily life adds up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending