The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Getting into Oxbridge for Postgraduate Study

Scroll to see replies

Hi all,

I'm also looking to apply to Oxford for 2016 postgraduate entry (MA European politics) and am hoping for some insights. Any informed or kind soul who thinks they have an answer to one of my questions below...feel free to reply ;-) And apologies in advance for the long post!

1) What do you think of my credentials? Which areas of my CV have weaknesses and what can I do to fix them in the next 6 months?

[CREDENTIALS:
- Current undergraduate student in University College Dublin (Ireland), Joint degree Economics/Politics and International Relations
- Set to graduate with a 1.1 if my grades remain in the same bracket
- Languages: fluent French and English, full professional capacity in German, beginners' Japanese
- Research experience: summer internship - assisted a lecturer with her research on European politics and economic governance, but my name is nowhere in her work as I was mainly just pre-selecting and summarising academic sources for her during this internship.
- Relevant work experience: year-long internship in a European affairs lobbying firm in Brussels, so I learned a bunch about European politics there (duh :biggrin:)
- Misc.: This coming year I'll be EU Careers Ambassador for my university (promoting European careers to fellow students), in the past I've been public relations officer for a college society.
- Publications: Don't have any at the moment and I know it might be my main weakness, I'm trying to write something over the summer though which may result in either an application essay or, if I'm lucky a publication in some undergraduate publishing journal?]

2) Is it customary or advised to contact the University and relevant lecturers (am applying for a taught Masters) before sending off my application? I have heard mixed things about this and always only about PhDs or research Masters so I'm hesitant...

3) Does anyone have information or tips about the statement of purpose that's required of applicants? What is the 'tone' so to speak, and are you supposed to sneak your achievements in there or only talk about potential research topics?

4) Is it usually advised to use previous coursework, new essays, or even research done beforehand as written samples? I'm quite confused about what kind of work is usually submitted.

5) Regarding letters of recommendations - I have never needed one before so I don't really know how the process works. On top of that, I am having trouble selecting referees. I know I will ask the lecturer whom I was research assistant for last summer (relevant subject + she taught at Oxford), and the team leader at the yearlong internship I did (he is really respected in the industry and went to Oxford), but for my third reference I am torn.

- Should I get a letter from a lecturer who doesn't really know/remember me but in whose subject I got an A+?
- Or should I get a letter from a lecturer who really liked me but was in a subject irrelevant (quantitative economics) to the application?
- Or should I get a letter from a tutor in politics who knows and likes me but has no PhD (candidate at the moment)?

I am very torn and would love any advice on this.

6) On the timing of applications - when should I apply? if I apply earlier in the year (November) I might have an advantage given the rolling basis of applications. On the other hand if I wait until the end of the semester to apply (January) I will have more essays to choose from as written work samples to include in my application rather than having to write special essays in advance this summer/fall.

7) Finally, does anyone have tips, resources or advice to offer me about the application process, Politics Masters in Oxford, or any related topics?

Thanks a million for your help :-)
(edited 8 years ago)
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 1961
Original post by DreamByDay
X

1) You have your chance, but you should also try to get a scholarship. Balliol has one for Irish students for example:
http://www.balliol.ox.ac.uk/sites/default/files/foley_bejar_2015_2.pdf

2) I would ask the secretary if it's ok to do that.

3) You should do both, by showing that your past achievements will help you with your courses/research/future career. I'd write sth like "I discovered that during my internship, and I would like to learn further about it thanks to this course and also that one with these lecturers, in the perspective of a PhD/future job in that field." It depends on your requirements and degree structure. From what they say (http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/graduate/courses/msc-politics-research), it is research focused, so you should include some inspiring readings and detail your thesis.

4) What you are the most proud of. If your references mention some of your works in their letter, perhaps you should send that.

5) Get a letter from the lecturer who really liked you but was in a different subject.

6) Not sure it matters, you should apply by January because most scholarships have a January deadline.

7) The "5 places available" on the degree page is a misleading verbiage, they admit more people than that. This figure represents their targeted enrolment.
Ask your current lecturers about your application, especially to review your statement.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi, thanks a million for your kind and detailed answer! I am actually French, I just study in Ireland so no Irish scholarship for me ;-)

Thanks in particular for the advice on the statement of purpose, still a bit confused but feel more reassured starting to write it. As for references I think I need to mull it over a bit...

Anyways - thanks again and apologies in advance, because I can feel I'll be asking you a LOT of questions in the upcoming months while preparing my applications!!

But for now I think I will spend the summer just finishing up my internship and trying to write my very first research essay (while away from university...bad idea??) while I still have access to EU officials to interview for my project!!

Lucie
Anybody know much about the Cambridge part iii, or oxfords new MSc in mathematical and theoretical physics?

I've averaged 89% over my second year in maths, and I am doing a summer research project atm. I want to head into theoretical physics (string theory etc), but my degree has many holes on the physics side of things... Which I'm trying to catch up on in my own time. So I'm wondering if anyone knows the standards expected, and if the gaps in my knowledge will hinder me much?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1964
Hello guys am an international student planning to apply for either Masters in Engineering for Sustainable Development or Mphil Technology Policy at Cambridge for 2016 starters,
Am doing electronics engineering with computer systems at the university of surrey.I am currently on my placement year, and I got a 2.1 (65%) in my second year (not proud of it). Do I have any chances to get accepted or at least get a conditional offer from Cambridge ? (P.S hopefully I will have a strong reference, and get a higher 2.1 or a first in my final year)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1965
I want to get my Masters of Philosophy from Oxbridge.

I have a low First (71%) in philosophy from an ok university, the University of Birmingham.

I want to apply for the 2016-17 accademic year. I suppose I have three questions:

1. Do you think my application will have an advantage given that I will submit it very early (for the 2016-17 year)?

2. How much do the references matter - should I seek out highly qualified professors who I did not have as much as a repoire with, or as high a module mark with, or should I seek out those less qualified lecturers whom I got on well with and achieved high marks with?

3. Does anyone know how flexible admissions are regarding sample essay length. For example, Cambridge asks for two essays between 3000-5000 words. The work I did was generally shorter, with a couple of 7000's. Would it be acceptable to submit, say, one shorter and one longer, with a note explaining why?

Thank you very much.
Original post by seal36
I want to get my Masters of Philosophy from Oxbridge.

I have a low First (71%) in philosophy from an ok university, the University of Birmingham.

I want to apply for the 2016-17 accademic year. I suppose I have three questions:

1. Do you think my application will have an advantage given that I will submit it very early (for the 2016-17 year)?

2. How much do the references matter - should I seek out highly qualified professors who I did not have as much as a repoire with, or as high a module mark with, or should I seek out those less qualified lecturers whom I got on well with and achieved high marks with?

3. Does anyone know how flexible admissions are regarding sample essay length. For example, Cambridge asks for two essays between 3000-5000 words. The work I did was generally shorter, with a couple of 7000's. Would it be acceptable to submit, say, one shorter and one longer, with a note explaining why?

Thank you very much.

Hey :smile: so I'm going to start my MPhil in October at Oxford, and was in a similar boat to you (72% from Nottingham University), although I applied during my third year.

1. When you submit your application makes absolutely no difference, unfortunately!

2. Try a mixture - I had to submit three references, and so I had two lecturers who knew me well write them, and one who didn't know me as well, but was a 'name' in my academic field. I don't think they're allowed to write negative things in your reference, so as long as you're a hard worker and got reasonable marks in those modules (like mid-high 2.1s) you should be ok.

3. Email the admissions people about this, it's too much of a risk to do it without asking, even if you have a note. Sometimes (depending on where you're applying) they let you submit extracts of essays etc, so it's definitely worth sending an email to ask.

Hope this helps, and good luck! :smile:
Original post by Pyrapika
Hey :smile: so I'm going to start my MPhil in October at Oxford, and was in a similar boat to you (72% from Nottingham University), although I applied during my third year.

1. When you submit your application makes absolutely no difference, unfortunately!

2. Try a mixture - I had to submit three references, and so I had two lecturers who knew me well write them, and one who didn't know me as well, but was a 'name' in my academic field. I don't think they're allowed to write negative things in your reference, so as long as you're a hard worker and got reasonable marks in those modules (like mid-high 2.1s) you should be ok.

3. Email the admissions people about this, it's too much of a risk to do it without asking, even if you have a note. Sometimes (depending on where you're applying) they let you submit extracts of essays etc, so it's definitely worth sending an email to ask.

Are you starting an MPhil in Philosophy there? I am ever so confused with the Oxford system when it comes to Philosophy as I only saw the option of a very full-on BPhil (as a prerequisite for their DPhil) rather than an MPhill -Am I getting this wrong? :s-smilie: Congratulations either way!
Original post by Yellow 03
Are you starting an MPhil in Philosophy there? I am ever so confused with the Oxford system when it comes to Philosophy as I only saw the option of a very full-on BPhil (as a prerequisite for their DPhil) rather than an MPhill -Am I getting this wrong? :s-smilie: Congratulations either way!

No no I'm doing a different subject, sorry! But as far as I can tell the BPhil is the same (ie. two year postgraduate course).
Reply 1969
Original post by Yellow 03

As far as I understand, you get an MPhil qualification if you only complete the first year of the BPhil. I read this on the Oxford website earlier. It is on this page under the heading of 'MSt in Philosophy:
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/graduate/courses/bphil-philosophy
Reply 1970
Original post by Pyrapika

Great thanks a lot. Sounds hopeful that you got in with similar credentials to me :smile:. Will contact admissions soon.
Reply 1971
Original post by Tedward
Anybody know much about the Cambridge part iii, or oxfords new MSc in mathematical and theoretical physics?

I've averaged 89% over my second year in maths, and I am doing a summer research project atm. I want to head into theoretical physics (string theory etc), but my degree has many holes on the physics side of things... Which I'm trying to catch up on in my own time. So I'm wondering if anyone knows the standards expected, and if the gaps in my knowledge will hinder me much?

I can tell you a bit about Part III Maths. I've just finished Part II and I'm not carrying on, but I know people who are. With respect to gaps in your knowledge: as long as you're going to focus on the quantum and strings side, you'll basically just need to do every quantum course and back it up with things like methods courses and special relativity. In my experience the courses tend to be quite specific, so as long as you know the core background material for a course, you'll be fine. Take a look at http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/postgrad/mathiii/guidetocourses/2015-2016/qf/

(Note that on the required courses list, special relativity isn't there, because it's covered in first year and they assume that all first year material is known. It's annoying when they do that :P )
Original post by imcr
I can tell you a bit about Part III Maths. I've just finished Part II and I'm not carrying on, but I know people who are. With respect to gaps in your knowledge: as long as you're going to focus on the quantum and strings side, you'll basically just need to do every quantum course and back it up with things like methods courses and special relativity. In my experience the courses tend to be quite specific, so as long as you know the core background material for a course, you'll be fine. Take a look at http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/postgrad/mathiii/guidetocourses/2015-2016/qf/

(Note that on the required courses list, special relativity isn't there, because it's covered in first year and they assume that all first year material is known. It's annoying when they do that :P )

Thank you for the advise! I should have all the maths I need, in terms of physics my degree covers quantum mechanics, electromagnetism and theory behind classical mechanics (I plan to read up on the physicsy side in my own time). The major issue is that for special relativity, I am mostly self taught, and will not have any exam grades to show for it. I'm aware that the subject is very important, so I'm a bit worried about this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1973
Original post by Tedward
Thank you for the advise! I should have all the maths I need, in terms of physics my degree covers quantum mechanics, electromagnetism and theory behind classical mechanics (I plan to read up on the physicsy side in my own time). The major issue is that for special relativity, I am mostly self taught, and will not have any exam grades to show for it. I'm aware that the subject is very important, so I'm a bit worried about this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a much better situation than missing out on the quantum. Also look up the Cambridge IB Methods and Complex Methods courses to check you've covered most of that material.

Special relativity was only six lectures in first year, so it shouldn't be too bad to catch up on. There are notes by David Tong on damtp which are public - just Google "Tong Dynamics and Relativity". He's covered relativity in 55 pages, which is quite a lot for six lectures, but that's his style; they tend to be quite readable as a consequence. I think the best approach would be to go through the notes (maybe highlighting them if that helps you) and then answering Example Sheet 4, which should also be on his page. In term time with lectures, it'd be about half a week allocated to the sheet, so give yourself up to about a week in the holiday. If you can say with confidence that you've done the work, they should have no problem with your special relativity.
Original post by imcr
That's a much better situation than missing out on the quantum. Also look up the Cambridge IB Methods and Complex Methods courses to check you've covered most of that material.

Special relativity was only six lectures in first year, so it shouldn't be too bad to catch up on. There are notes by David Tong on damtp which are public - just Google "Tong Dynamics and Relativity". He's covered relativity in 55 pages, which is quite a lot for six lectures, but that's his style; they tend to be quite readable as a consequence. I think the best approach would be to go through the notes (maybe highlighting them if that helps you) and then answering Example Sheet 4, which should also be on his page. In term time with lectures, it'd be about half a week allocated to the sheet, so give yourself up to about a week in the holiday. If you can say with confidence that you've done the work, they should have no problem with your special relativity.

Great, thanks a lot! You said you knew some people taking Part III, I don't suppose you know what sort of grades they were getting?

Also I was wondering if you had any thoughts on colleges? I'm sure they're all good, but I thought there might be some that are more popular amongst maths/physics students perhaps? Just struggling to narrow down the list as they all look nice! Thanks again.
Reply 1975
Original post by Tedward
Great, thanks a lot! You said you knew some people taking Part III, I don't suppose you know what sort of grades they were getting?

Also I was wondering if you had any thoughts on colleges? I'm sure they're all good, but I thought there might be some that are more popular amongst maths/physics students perhaps? Just struggling to narrow down the list as they all look nice! Thanks again.

It's different trying for Part III having done Part II - anyone with a first is automatically eligible, and anyone with a high 2:1 (67+ or so) has a good shot at getting in if they've got good Part II results in their topic areas. I'm not sure how they do it with other universities, but I'd imagine keeping up your grades would put you in a good position. When it comes to applying, reading the section about application in Tom Korner's "Unofficial Guide to Part III" should be useful (but don't be put off by the way he sounds so serious about it all).

For colleges, Cambridge undergrads would keep their previous college. At Part III level there's no teaching in college, so the only thing this would matter for is accommodation and social life. And regardless of where the applications go, they try to get similar numbers in each college between years (apparently the same colleges tend to be heavily oversubscribed, not sure which but it'll include some subset of Trinity, John's, King's and Queens'). Picking one that won't be oversubscribed should give you your first choice.

I was at Gonville and Caius, and I'm biased but I can recommend it :P it's also the college where Stephen Hawking is affiliated, so he turns up at dinner every so often, which is pretty cool especially since you're into similar Maths to him. It's not such a big decision though I don't think, and the number of people in a college shouldn't put you off; you'll get to know Mathmos from other colleges through lectures and stuff anyway.
Reply 1976
FYI a couple of previous years' Cam threads have reported conditions of 80%+ for students from outside Cam coming for Part III. There haven't been enough part III people on the threads however to figure out if this is a typical external offer or if it is dependent on particular students or the unis they come from.

(As an aside - as an objective observer, may I compliment icmr for being so helpful :smile: )
Original post by imcr
It's different trying for Part III having done Part II - anyone with a first is automatically eligible, and anyone with a high 2:1 (67+ or so) has a good shot at getting in if they've got good Part II results in their topic areas. I'm not sure how they do it with other universities, but I'd imagine keeping up your grades would put you in a good position. When it comes to applying, reading the section about application in Tom Korner's "Unofficial Guide to Part III" should be useful (but don't be put off by the way he sounds so serious about it all).

For colleges, Cambridge undergrads would keep their previous college. At Part III level there's no teaching in college, so the only thing this would matter for is accommodation and social life. And regardless of where the applications go, they try to get similar numbers in each college between years (apparently the same colleges tend to be heavily oversubscribed, not sure which but it'll include some subset of Trinity, John's, King's and Queens'). Picking one that won't be oversubscribed should give you your first choice.

I was at Gonville and Caius, and I'm biased but I can recommend it :P it's also the college where Stephen Hawking is affiliated, so he turns up at dinner every so often, which is pretty cool especially since you're into similar Maths to him. It's not such a big decision though I don't think, and the number of people in a college shouldn't put you off; you'll get to know Mathmos from other colleges through lectures and stuff anyway.

Lots of great advise, thanks! Gonville and Caius looks really nice, so I will definitely consider applying there!
Original post by Tedward
Lots of great advise, thanks! Gonville and Caius looks really nice, so I will definitely consider applying there!

Apparently the food is awful there.
Planning to go for MPhil Finance and Cambridge. Anybody chance me?

University: LSE Maths and Economics. 80% (Avg.) First year, 86%(Avg.)Second year

A-Level (Not sure if they even care for postgrad admissions): A*A*AAA (Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry)

GCSEs: 5A*, 3A, 1B (A* in Maths and A in Additional Maths).

Work experience: Summer Internships in Ernst & Yong, Citi and HSBC

Extracurriculars: President of a student club (non-finance related)

Quick Reply

Latest