Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

What makes a good UKCAT score?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016
REMINDER: Do not post your personal statement on TSR, otherwise you may have to rewrite it from scratch. Click here for more info. 12-10-2016

I have my UKCAT booked for 1:00pm on Thursday, and was wondering what people consider a 'good' score.

King's College London, one of my top choices, states that:
    "Scores for the last five years have varied between 630 and 735. Variation from year to year is partly due to variation in the average score UK-wide on the UKCAT, and partly due to variation in the number and quality of applications to King’s each year."

Based on this, should I be aiming for 700+ before thinking of applying to King's, or is 630 and above okay too?

Is 700 considered average, or really good? I am unsure on what score I will need to standout to the universities in question.

My best practice scores so far have been:
    VR: 800
    QR: 630
    AR: 630
    SJT: 39/69 = 56.522% (Not sure on the band)

This gives an avg. of 687... is this good enough?

I am also applying to 2 other UKCAT universities: Newcastle and Edinburgh.

Please let me know your thoughts!

Thanks, rwuk

Hi, my understanding is that 700 is a really, really good score with the average score being around 600
    Aiming high never hurts but 600's for Kings should be good enough. High 600's should be good but slightly risky for newcastle as they rank solely on UKCAT score, don't know too much about Edinburgh but higher UKCAT the better
    630 is still a good score and kings could be an option but would suggest other medical schools, possible Sheffield for example that seem to use the UKCAT less heavily
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 12, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.