Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

A100 Edinburgh - Applying from England with Band 2 SJT

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016
REMINDER: Do not post your personal statement on TSR, otherwise you may have to rewrite it from scratch. Click here for more info. 12-10-2016

Posting here to ask if anyone has any information about the points required to get an offer from Edinburgh for Medicine when applying from England (ie rest of UK). The general consensus across TSR is that 38/40 is needed on their points system, but how closely do they look at those who are just below that threshold?

My stats are
    11 A*s at GCSE
    predicted 4 A*s at A Level with an A in my only non-linear AS subject
    823 UKCAT average
    Band 2 SJT

From reading the admissions policy I think I have full points for academic (above 7 A*s at GCSE, above A*AAa for predictions and confidently above the threshold for the top octile for UKCAT) but I've lost 2 points from getting band 2 instead of band 1. My question is that, if I lost points on my personal statement and I ended up with a total of around 36 or 37/40, would they reject me on my points or is the idea of 38/40 flexible and open to interpretation? My stats, especially UKCAT, are relatively higher than the minimum required to score max points for each section, but I don't know whether that would be overlooked by say a computerised ranking that doesn't differentiate between 740 and 823 average. I would really appreciate it if anyone had any details about the scoring thresholds since the data doesn't seem readily available from Edinburgh themselves and it would be nice to know whether I would realistically need a perfect 6/6 personal statement score to have a chance.

tl;dr - Anyone have any information about score needed for Edinburgh A100 offer for rest of UK applicants? Is there a chance with lower than 38/40 or would I need a perfect personal statement to stand a chance?

I do think with such a high UKCAT score, even if you get 37/40, you could get an offer as they rank candidates by UKCAT afterwards. So you'll be at the top of the 37 pile for example. Statistically the highest score they've rejected was 37 so 38/40 is just an educated guess that would guarantee you a place but I'm sure a 37 wouldn't harm you.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 18, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather be able to

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.