The Student Room Group

Don't know what courses to choose for A-Level - Help?

So I'm thinking that I want to go into Law and study at King's College or UCL, because I feel like the field would suit my personality and it is something that interests me, but reading about current lawyers' bitter lifestyles living on an average income and not getting what they expected has made me reconsider.

If I were to take it I'd choose English Language/Lit., History and another humanity.

But I've also toyed with the idea of going into Dentistry at King's because the high income and alternative and more hands on approach that they have to learning also has me interested. It's just the time and the high expectations that have me wary.

I'd take Biology, Chemistry and maybe maths and then a more 'fun' subject like Drama so my artsy side doesn't shrivel up and die.

HELP PLEASE, we have to choose by December and I have no idea what I'm doing anymore.
I can't offer advice in the way of Dentistry vs Law as that's a far more personal choice

However your artsy side will not shrivel up and die if you take science subjects. An alternative to keep both options open could be to study 3 sciences alongside an essay subject like History or English Lit, so you'd be eligible for both courses
Reply 2
If you did Chemistry, Biology and History then both avenues would be available. I'd then recommend choosing between English Literature and Maths.
I wouldn't worry about your artistic side, you can always do drama outside of school! I know a lot of people in my drama class last year took drama because they thought it would be fun and easy and were surprised by the amount of work they got and struggled to keep up.

Quick Reply

Latest