The Student Room Group

I have no way of getting a reference for job i mentioned in cv

I'm really nervous now and asking for advice. I qualified as a social worker last month and have a job interview for a permanent position. I was so excited to get an interview and started studying until I realised something.

I worked as a support worker for almost two years at a charity that is government led/funded. I put my job down and always have my old boss as a reference. However, she has since changed her number. So I had no choice but to give the company number instead. Only problem is I have found out that I was only employed through a job centre scheme and therefore don't show up as an employee. I contacted the job centre and they said they couldn't give a reference so I deleted the job off my cv. It's almost 5 years ago since I had he job and I have much more relevant experience. As a social worker an employee is really only interested in my year placement at a social services department.

To my horror I've realised I've kept my old job on my cv! I'm gutted now and don't know what to do. My interview is in a few days.

My two references are my old managers but they are allowed check all details.

What should I do?
Check linkedin perhaps?
The chances are they won't contact all your old employees and if they do they will probably just contact you to say they can't get a reference and you can explain what happened. If you have several glowing references they should understand the situation with the last one.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm really nervous now and asking for advice. I qualified as a social worker last month and have a job interview for a permanent position. I was so excited to get an interview and started studying until I realised something.

I worked as a support worker for almost two years at a charity that is government led/funded. I put my job down and always have my old boss as a reference. However, she has since changed her number. So I had no choice but to give the company number instead. Only problem is I have found out that I was only employed through a job centre scheme and therefore don't show up as an employee. I contacted the job centre and they said they couldn't give a reference so I deleted the job off my cv. It's almost 5 years ago since I had he job and I have much more relevant experience. As a social worker an employee is really only interested in my year placement at a social services department.

To my horror I've realised I've kept my old job on my cv! I'm gutted now and don't know what to do. My interview is in a few days.

What should I do?

It isn't likely to be an issue. If an employer decides to ring around beyond the referees listed, they are filling a quick 15 minutes in their day. If they can't get through, they move on. If they suddenly decide to imagine some great conspiracy, then they simply ask you about it, and you answer them. If you haven't actually made something up , then there's no issue. It's part of the checking process anyway, not part of the selection process.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous

What should I do?

1. You are getting yourself into a tizz over nothing. Most references are not taken up till after and only when a person has been offered a job. You arent at that stage.

2. You say you have much more relevant experience, then why not use someone there as reference?

3. You hint at only this person of 5 years ago being suitable. Why cant you just contact the charity and find the new number or if the person has left then get them to give you an e-mail or if they cant, ask them to forward your communication. They might give you an idea which organisation they went to.

4. As said above facebook and linkedin are good starting points.

5. Its a panic over very little. If you are that worried, then check with HR and inform them you have provided two references, but you have recently found out they have moved on.. Ask them if its their policy to sort out your reference ore or post interview. Just explain the situation and it will be fine and you can stop worrying.
Reply 5
Thank you for the replies. I have two good references as it is. I am pretty sure they won't check the final job on my cv as it's not particularly relevant.

But there is a possibility they will check. I'm likely to get the job as the hiring manager asked me to apply. But they may decline the offer if I can't prove everything on my cv. Or is it highly unlikely? I'm just really nervous and I really want that job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending