The Student Room Group

Unsure about my a level choice

Hello there,
I started sixth form (AS) from last week and I'm doing Maths, Physics and Chemistry. I wanted to do Further maths as well but my school didn't do it. At this stage, I should know the course that I wanted to study at uni but I'm still unsure about my AS subjects. Are these a good combination of subjects? I sometime think of changing and doing Biology to study medicine but my GCSE results aren't fantastic. I got As in maths and all my sciences ad Bs in my English, do you think that I can get into medical school with these grades? Also, Is it better to do four subjects than three in AS.What will be the best course for me to study at university if I keep doing these three subjects(maths, chemistry and physics), any advice?
Reply 1
Original post by Hello1004
Hello there,
I started sixth form (AS) from last week and I'm doing Maths, Physics and Chemistry. I wanted to do Further maths as well but my school didn't do it. At this stage, I should know the course that I wanted to study at uni

Not necessarily. You've still got a few good months left to try out your subjects and see what you want to do.

but I'm still unsure about my AS subjects. Are these a good combination of subjects?

Maths, Physics and Chemistry is an excellent set of courses that will open plenty of excellent choices down the road for you when it comes to choosing.

I sometime think of changing and doing Biology to study medicine but my GCSE results aren't fantastic. I got As in maths and all my sciences ad Bs in my English, do you think that I can get into medical school with these grades?

I don't know much about Medicine, but I reckon that if you perform well on the admissions test, you'll have a good shot. Is there any need to change and do Biology? Can you not take Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology?

Also, Is it better to do four subjects than three in AS.

Not necessarily, it depends on what the fourth subject is, what course you're applying for, etc... but in most/all cases you won't be disadvantaged at all by doing 3 subjects instead of 4. You might even get better grades because you have more time to focus on 3. It all depends on what that fourth course is. If it's one you actually want to do, then it's more than worth it to take four courses.

What will be the best course for me to study at university if I keep doing these three subjects(maths, chemistry and physics), any advice?

No offence but this is a bit of a daft question and I'm sure you'll come to realise it yourself down the line - there isn't a 'best course to study' wit those subjects, it's going to come down to what you enjoy doing, but you'll have your pick of courses with those (although you may be slightly diisadvantaged from a fair few top unis for very mathsy subjects by not having FM (such as Econ @ Camb)) - but otherwise, you'll have a wide range to choose from with those subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest