The Student Room Group

The TSR Official Theory Test Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I failed today! What a bad couple of days for me exam wise!!

I got 35/35 in the theory part and 43/75 in the hazards perception bit. Just damn unlucky if you ask me.

I did it at 10 this morning, which I discovered was a serious mistake because its the holidays and I sleep very funny hours especially at this time (I have DSPS). Alas my tiredness, and the boringness of the hazards perception test; a 3 minute boring as **** intro, and then 20 second pauses between each clip did not work out well for me on picking up hazards. I was aware exactly how slow I was even at the time, but I really wasn't expecting to fail hazards perception. Usually I get at least 60.

Alas, I have failed. I now have to resit it sometime after they make it harder, and more expensive!

p.s. gay!! :p: Can't believe you can get full marks on one test and 1 mark off the other and they wont pass you. Gaaaayyyyyyy :p:
Reply 61
^Ouch, unlucky!

Im bricking mine, and its going to be the dreaded 50 questions!

Anyone got any idea where the extra q's will come from? Which topic they maybe?
Got mine Fri 31st august 9.30am been revising on the CD but keep getting 27/35 have not practiced for hazard perception yet.
Reply 63
beatnik87
Brimstone do you have any advise for me I'm briicking it.

How much practice have you done so far?

Seriously, all I did was borrow a practice CD off of my friend and keep doing it. For the Hazard Perception, I don't know how I passed :s-smilie:. The one thing I can say is make sure you focus fully on the scene on the computer. I can be easily distracted, so used to find my mind wandered while nothing was happening. And don't be complacent :wink: just because one hazard has appeared, doesn't mean it's the only one in the clip, or even the correct one.
Reply 64
Rainbow_Chick
Got mine Fri 31st august 9.30am been revising on the CD but keep getting 27/35 have not practiced for hazard perception yet.

How did you get that date? Was it a cancellation or just a normal booking?

ATM, Im preparing myself for the 4/9 exam with the 50 q's, might give me better chance of getting full marks If I get a cancellation booking.

The way Im revising is going through a section in the book, then going through it again on the CD rom.
Have my bike theory and HP tests tomorrow, did the tests in '04 for my car test and have been running through the DSA DVDs.
Even with a motorbike they're obsessed with trailers!! I've seen a few, mainly carrying dogs, but I'm not planning on towing anything, or getting a sidecar...
Bit worried about the HP though, been doing advanced driving and there's a trend for AD people to score badly on the HP, we look a long way ahead and classify things as hazards before the computer allows it score. Think I'll just have to keep clicking. It's always stopping distances and blood alcohol levels I'm worried about most though, but the tread levels for bikes are different - 1 mm for bikes and "visible" for mopeds!
Has anyone got an efficient way to revise stopping distances. Also I am stuck on the questions about overtaking.
beatnik87
Has anyone got an efficient way to revise stopping distances. Also I am stuck on the questions about overtaking.

Fraid can't help with the stopping distances, although previous poster had a good one about the thinking distances. WRT overtaking, almost every time the answer will be "hold back and give plenty of room."

Took my bike theory tests today - passed both (WOOHOO!!!), although REALLY annoyed with the hazard perception test.
As some of you may have seen on other threads I'm doing my advanced driving test soon and this has made me a better driver but a huge part of the AD syllabus is observation. When I did the practice DVD for the HP (the one with Suzi Perry) I had to be careful because I saw the hazards and clicked before the computer allowed me to score. On the other AD forums they recommended clicking when you saw it and then as the hazard develops to make sure you got the points. Tried it on the DSA DVD and it works fine.
So today at the test centre (in Elgin it's in a bus in the car park of a hotel, fine but it sways with the wind and if anyone moves inside it, almost got seasick) tried to make sure I clicked on all the hazards I could see (but only when I saw one) and when they developed. I wasn't clicking too much, or randomly but I still got the "You have been clicking in an unacceptable manner and will score 0 for this clip."
ARRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!! :mad:
So folks, a warning, although they say you won't be penalised for clicking on all the hazards you can see, they may well do so if you click an ALL the potential hazards, really focus on the ones that will cause active deviation in route or speed.
As an example, on one section I was thinking "bus stop, looking for people crossing, bins out for collection - looking for bin wagon, young children by the road - looking for other kids and expecting them to run out, car approaching from the side, fire engine (that was the hazard they were looking for), delivery van-expecting it to stop suddenly. All of this was within one clip, after which I got the X message.
Just wanted to rely a message of warning and get it all off my chest.
(Got 35/35 on the theory and 60/75 on HP, even after the 0 clip, 6 clips with 5 pts, so not too upset! :biggrin: )
beatnik87

The overal stopping distances are:
30mph - 23m
40mph - 36m
50mph - 53m
60mph - 73m
70mph - 96m

There isn't really a method as such, but i learnt by noticing that the stopping distance is similar to the mph you are travelling ie. 40mph is close to 36m and 50mph is close to 53m. If you're asked in your exam i.e. what is the stopping distance for 40mph? Then just pick the distance that is closest to 40.

Thinking distance is easy to remember you just times the mph by 3 and remove the 0. eg. 60mph - 18m (60 * 3 = 180m = 18m)

For braking distance, if you have learnt how to remember overall stopping distance and thinking distance then you can just subtract thinking distance from overall stoppng distance eg. 60mph: SD is 73m, TD is 18m so.... 73 - 18 = 55m. Again braking distance is a similar value to the mph you are travelling.

However, i don't think you get asked about individual thinking and braking distances in your test.
Good Luck.

Love DP.

PS. I'll try and help you with overtaking if you could be more specific about what you're stuck on...:smile:
x= speed in miles per hour
distances in metres.

thinking distance = 3*x/10
braking distance = (3*x^2)/200
total stopping distance = (3/10)*[x + (x^2)/20]

Since the speeds are multiples of 10, this isn't as difficult as it looks. I sat and plotted it all out while I was revising, and never even got a question on it in the test. *sigh*. Anyway, that equation gives you numbers pretty close to the ones DiscoPirate listed.
DiscoPirate
The overal stopping distances are:
30mph - 23m
40mph - 36m
50mph - 53m
60mph - 73m
70mph - 96m

There isn't really a method as such, but i learnt by noticing that the stopping distance is similar to the mph you are travelling ie. 40mph is close to 36m and 50mph is close to 53m. If you're asked in your exam i.e. what is the stopping distance for 40mph? Then just pick the distance that is closest to 40.

Thinking distance is easy to remember you just times the mph by 3 and remove the 0. eg. 60mph - 18m (60 * 3 = 180m = 18m)

For braking distance, if you have learnt how to remember overall stopping distance and thinking distance then you can just subtract thinking distance from overall stoppng distance eg. 60mph: SD is 73m, TD is 18m so.... 73 - 18 = 55m. Again braking distance is a similar value to the mph you are travelling.

However, i don't think you get asked about individual thinking and braking distances in your test.
Good Luck.

Love DP.

PS. I'll try and help you with overtaking if you could be more specific about what you're stuck on...:smile:

Thank you so much I have now got it down to a tee :smile: rep
My problem is with the lights on the bends and junctions. I am a bit confused on when to flash your lights, what type of lights you should use at night and during the day in foggy conditions etc
Reply 71
eeeek freaking out about my theory moved it back 3 times already and can't move it back again because it would cost me more to do it so have to sit it next week! i've done more revising for this than i did for most of my exams this year put together!!1
beatnik87
Thank you so much I have now got it down to a tee :smile: rep
My problem is with the lights on the bends and junctions. I am a bit confused on when to flash your lights, what type of lights you should use at night and during the day in foggy conditions etc

Thanks.

First of all, if you are asked when you flash your lights, the answer should be along the lines of 'To alert other drivers of your presence' Really (although most people do it) you should never 'flash' other drivers if you are giving way to them etc.

Dipped headlights at night on lit motorways and country roads, and fog. If you're travelling round a sharp bend and it's dark then dipped headlights.
You should only use fog lights if visibility is reduced below 100 meters.(Remember to cancel if fog clears so you don't dazzle other drivers)
I'm not particularly sure when to use full beam headlights, but i assume it's on unlit motorways or wide roads (basically when you won't be passing close to oncoming traffic in case you dazzle them)

Hope that helped, i'm not good at explaining stuff.
DiscoPirate
Thanks.

First of all, if you are asked when you flash your lights, the answer should be along the lines of 'To alert other drivers of your presence' Really (although most people do it) you should never 'flash' other drivers if you are giving way to them etc.

Dipped headlights at night on lit motorways and country roads, and fog. If you're travelling round a sharp bend and it's dark then dipped headlights.
You should only use fog lights if visibility is reduced below 100 meters.(Remember to cancel if fog clears so you don't dazzle other drivers)
I'm not particularly sure when to use full beam headlights, but i assume it's on unlit motorways or wide roads (basically when you won't be passing close to oncoming traffic in case you dazzle them)

Hope that helped, i'm not good at explaining stuff.

Pretty much as he said, some extra background:
Flashing your lights, like using your horn (except for 11.30 to 7.00) are officially only used to warn others of your presence. You "shouldn't" flash someone to pull out or cross the road because, amongst other reasons, someone else may see the flash and think "ah that's for me." But mainly as there may be other traffic that you can't see so the person emerging may see your flash, pull out assuming you're right and get blindsided.
Dipped headlights used in fog (if you've driven in it you'll know) because full beam reflects and will just dazzle you. Fogs are differently set up for fog but will dazzle anyone coming towards you so shouldn't be kept on on better weather.
Use full beam when you're in unlit roads and no-one is infront of you. On coming traffic will be directly dazzled and traffic travelling in the same direction will be dazzled by their mirrors. If you're overtaking and there's no traffic in front of you put full beam on when you're level or ahead of the car being overtaken, else you'll blind them from their mirrors.
If you're using full beam and approaching a junction it's a good idea to dip when coming up on the junction so that if anyone else comes to the junction/bend you won't blind them. Providing you've got close enough for the dipped beam to show the junction.
HTH and good luck!
yay i passed my theory test today! thought i've done well on hazard perception part but only got 50/75 but still yay
My theory is 3.30pm TODAY.
I'm going to fail. :>.<: I don't know my theory like I should. I have a few hopes for hazard perception, though.
mines is tomorrow 8:30am, i've been passing the mocks with the DVD, but i think i'll be alright tomorrow, btw good luck theredsox!
Reply 77
I'm sooo annoyed with myself - i failed my theory test on my a level results day :frown: i got full marks on the multiple choice, then 33/75 on the hazard perception, which was my worst ever mark. I'd been practising with gsp learn to drive cdrom for the hazard perception, and on that i could click more times than i was allowed to on the real test (im pretty sure of anyway)- and the ist clip i got on the test was the double clip, whcih meant i lost loads of marks for that.
Now i can't get a test before the 4th september, and im guessing theres going to be no cancellations coming up anytime before the 3rd.
Has anybody used different cdroms for hazard perception? and is the dsa probably the best one to try?
Having bought the £12 dsa book with all the questions in, should i just revise from that again, or buy the new updated one for after 3rd september? (which i suppose i could flog on ebay afterwards :P)
thank you xxx
Yay! I passed! Thanks, kash. :smile:
theredsox
Yay! I passed! Thanks, kash. :smile:

Congrats!

You booking your practical soon?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending