The Student Room Group

UKCAT for DENTISTRY 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BenedickandI
I'm so worried about my opening paragraphs and figuring out how to close it! Did you write about any books you'd read? If so, which ones?

Yh, I recently read the BDJ Journal and there were some articles on there about dementia and how it affects people oral health (I had some work experience at a dementia care home).But I haven't read any specific dentistry related books; people normally recommend The Excruciating History of Dentistry.
I have only ever read medical related books like The Immortal Life of Heneritta Lacks. I think I might put that in my PS or ask my teacher to put it in my reference.Have u read anything?
Original post by louise2364
I failed my UKCAT!! 613 Band 2, my AS grades are ABBB and my GCSEs are 7 A*s 3As 2Bs, I don't have my A2 predictions yet but I'm guessing A*AA. Where would be good to apply to for dentistry?

Hey, good to hear of someone else with similar grades to me! You didn't fail your UKCAT! That's still perfectly okay to apply to lots of places especially places that aren't too heavy on it (basically not King's)! Are you doing BMAT for Leeds? Where are you from? :smile:
Original post by FavourFlavour
Yh, I recently read the BDJ Journal and there were some articles on there about dementia and how it affects people oral health (I had some work experience at a dementia care home).But I haven't read any specific dentistry related books; people normally recommend The Excruciating History of Dentistry.
I have only ever read medical related books like The Immortal Life of Heneritta Lacks. I think I might put that in my PS or ask my teacher to put it in my reference.Have u read anything?

Well I've read When Breath Becomes Air, which is vaguely related because of patient care, etc, and I've mentioned that. Also articles about 3D printing uncle dentistry and water fluoridation! How much work experience have you done and where?
Reply 23
Bio chem maths AAA
UKCAT VR 510, QR 720, AR 590, SJT Band 1. 607 average.

I really want to apply to dentistry. Are there any schools that would take me?
Original post by NM98
Bio chem maths AAA
UKCAT VR 510, QR 720, AR 590, SJT Band 1. 607 average.

I really want to apply to dentistry. Are there any schools that would take me?

I'd say definitely. Lots of Unis are not UKCAT heavy. And Leeds wants BMAT so it could be worth doing that
Reply 25
I'd say definitely. Lots of Unis are not UKCAT heavy. And Leeds wants BMAT so it could be worth doing that

Could you give me some examples please?
and thank you for replying so quickly, I'm really flustered after that exam.
Original post by NM98
Could you give me some examples please?
and thank you for replying so quickly, I'm really flustered after that exam.

So the lady at Sheffield told me anything over about six hundred should be fine. And Liverpool didn't really emphasise that it was a yes or no through it - just a deciding factor between two candidates. Are you thinking of Leeds?
Reply 27
So the lady at Sheffield told me anything over about six hundred should be fine. And Liverpool didn't really emphasise that it was a yes or no through it - just a deciding factor between two candidates. Are you thinking of Leeds?

I've never really been interested in leeds tbh, but I can't be picky since I'm taking a gap year already. You think I should consider it?
I got
VR 610
AR 660
QR 800
SJT 3
Avg 690
Is this high enough for the UKCAT heavy dental schools?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Wow, you smashed it! Definitely! Go for it.
Just call up and make sure the ones you apply to don't care about the SJT score too much. I know some dental schools care quite a bit like Manchester does.
GCSE: 3A*'s, 7A's, 1B
A Level Predictons: AAB
UKCAT: VR:600 QA:690 AR: 580 :// & Band 2
Any hope guys?!?!
Was thinking of applying for : Newcastle (through partners ) ,Leeds (could get on the access to Leeds due to personal family circumstances that occurred this year- but probably not), Bristol and not sure about choice 4.
Reply 31
Original post by ColorMiKiki
Any hope guys?!?!
Was thinking of applying for : Newcastle (through partners ) ,Leeds (could get on the access to Leeds due to personal family circumstances that occurred this year- but probably not), Bristol and not sure about choice 4.

623 is your average which isn't too bad. Band 2 is alright as well. You'll need to do the BMAT for Leeds. There is hope, you just need to get your college/sixth form to make your predicted grades AAA otherwise it'll be really hard unless you had a score of like 750 or more.
Original post by ColorMiKiki
Any hope guys?!?!

Agree with above post. You need to make sure your predicted is AAA. You should contact Leeds admission tutor about your circumstance and see if it's okay for you to apply to the access scheme

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Will I have a chance at Kings or Barts with A*AA prediction and UKCAT 630, SJT Band 2?
Original post by Ariana.c
Will I have a chance at Kings or Barts with A*AA prediction and UKCAT 630, SJT Band 2?

On the KCL website the scores said to vary between 630-735.
I think it would be a risk to apply with your UKCAT. How was your gcses?
Reply 35
Original post by DaVinciGirl
On the KCL website the scores said to vary between 630-735.
I think it would be a risk to apply with your UKCAT. How was your gcses?

Ah, well my gcses are 7A*(including maths and 3 sciences) 2A & B (english language).
Do you know if that would make any difference?
Ah, well my gcses are 7A*(including maths and 3 sciences) 2A & B (english language).
Do you know if that would make any difference?

This is what it says on KCL website. it does seem like you have a strong academic background.

'Your UKCAT scores will be considered in our selection for interview. They will not be the sole indicator for selection, but will be balanced against achievement in other areas, in particular your academic performance to date.All indicators will be considered together in deciding who will be selected for interview. It is therefore important to understand that there is no universal 'cut off' score for the UKCAT when applying for 2013 entry. For example, if an applicant has an excellent academic background then the test scores will not play such a significant part in selection. For those with weaker academic backgrounds (relative to our overall applicant pool), the scores will become more important. An applicant who may not normally be considered on academic grounds could be invited to interview on the strength of strong UKCAT scores that may indicate potential. Also, if applicants are very similar in all other ways, the scores may be the determining factor in selection for interview.'
Reply 37

Kings is risky but if it's your dream it's worth a shot. I think you definitely stand a chance with Barts. And they're apparently a better dental school anyway.
Original post by NM98
Kings is risky but if it's your dream it's worth a shot. I think you definitely stand a chance with Barts. And they're apparently a better dental school anyway.

I think Kings may be better because I checked their 2013 lowest applicant UKCAT score on whatdotheyknow.com and the lowest score they accepted was 620.
With QMUL it's 50:50 ukcat and UCAS tariffs. They didn't mention much about personal statement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Original post by DaVinciGirl
I think Kings may be better because I checked their 2013 lowest applicant UKCAT score on whatdotheyknow.com and the lowest score they accepted was 620.
With QMUL it's 50:50 ukcat and UCAS tariffs. They didn't mention much about personal statement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

2013 doesn't really matter at this point. One school I'm not sure but it may have been Newcastle had a cut off of 650 last year but 590 the year before. But call up and ask. And you GCSEs are strong your predicted grades match well with what they want. Most schools check 50:50 but I think kings rely more on the UKCAT but again, I'm not 100% sure so check.

Quick Reply

Latest